OK... if you had $$ to invest... (VERy NF)

TJQ

It would depend on your time horizon and risk preference. In the short term, you could ride the fluctuations in Gold stocks. Longer term most analysts are still bullish on energy seeing it hit $150 by the end of 2009. There are some good deals to be had with Suncor, Oilexco, and I don't think you could possibly go wrong with EnCana over a 2 to 3 year timeframe. The decline in the market has also significantly driven up the yield on a lot of the income trusts. If you are not averse to risk, HCI.UN is yielding approx 17%, and if you want a sin play as one of the other posters on this thread suggested, LIQ.UN also has a decent yield and owns a significant portion of the western Canada liquour market.

Personally, I am sitting in cash waiting for signs that some of the measures taken by the central banks are having an impact. There were apparently some loopholes that will allow banks to take advantage of the bailouts without helping main street America and that concerns me a bit.

Watch where you put your money !

*Update on Banking crisis... News from Japan*

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and

the run on HBOS in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan .

In the last 7 hours Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up

and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will

likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended

after they nose-dived.

Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is

reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report

that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared

that staff may get a raw deal

OK I will bite... Most investors are like highway drivers during traffic. You see the lane beside you moving forward and try to change lanes. When you get there that lane stops and the one you were in before moves.

Think of the long term, if you buy mutual funds on a biweekly or monthly basis DO NOT stop investing during times like these. You will get more units of your investment and with dollar cost averaging you will be ahead in the long run.

Once upon a time, in a place overrun with monkeys, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10 each. The villagers, seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest, and started catching them. The man bought thousands at $10 and as supply started to diminish, they became harder to catch, so the villagers stopped their effort. The man then announced that he would now pay $20 for each one. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again. But soon the supply diminished even further and they were ever harder to catch, so people started going back to their farms and forgot about monkey catching. The man increased his price to $25 each and the supply of monkeys became so sparse that it was an effort to even see a monkey, much less catch one. The man now announced that he would buy monkeys for $50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on his behalf.

While the man was away the assistant told the villagers, "Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has bought. I will sell them to you at $35 each and when the man returns from the city, you can sell them to him for $50 each." The villagers rounded up all their savings and bought all the monkeys. They never saw the man nor his assistant again, and once again there were monkeys everywhere.

Now you have a better understanding of how the stock market works.

Potash up big time, Just like oil its only going to go up. Maybe with all this money the different governments are putting in around the world, speculators wont over price things, Farmers down here couldn't afford fertilizer. So what happens, crops go up. Nows a time to buy Saskatchewan commodities, if there is any safe place in Canada its here while the rest of the Nation and World are hurting. I wish that we didnt invest in Royal Bank mutual funds, kind of stuck now till it goes back up if ever. Im sure the bank got their cut before mine went down.

About 9 month back energy stocks started rising hard. Almost doubled. :dunno:

They still have some lowering to do until they get back to where they were (ONLY 9 months ago). :glare:

Oil will be a great buy. I still see it hitting 200/ barrel in the next few years. Always a long term investment. In our lifetime anyway. Probably your Sons as well.

Then there's Trust Units..........Pay Great Dividends!!!!! Only worry being 2011....and really It will only mean a difference of 2 to 3 % in TAX..Way less than anyone thought. The worst thing they ever did was to take away the possibility of further trusts. The ones who wanted to turn into trusts, only got gobbled up after that and we lost even more tax because of OUR Gov's screw up decision.... :stretcher:

Good luck with everyone's predictions hahahahhaha..... :worthy:

Hey GB how you been?

Quinte Walleye is coming up, are you going?

Investing in stocks gives me reason to buy zentac...lol...

The market is very volitile right now, big swings up and down.

There seems to be a cap that the TSX won't go below 9000, I think many people have picked that point as the lowest it will go and start to buy at that point.

There are bargains out there, but where is the bottom? Dividend paying stocks are great right now with some yielding over 6%, the average seems to be in the 3.5-4.5 range. Dividends are taxed preferably to interest, so a dividend paying stock is actually a better investment right now than GIC's or cash. Caveat though - as long as you buy and HOLD!

I think bottom is somehwere around 7500.....

Edited by Dutch