Lining a salmon

Cudz

....Lining sometimes refered to as flossing is a manner in which the line (often a long leader) itself passes through the salmons mouth. When tension is felt the hook is set pulling the line through its mouth hooking it on the outside of the mouth.

I am a bit slow. "the leader passes throught the salmon's mouth". How would the leader pass through the mouth? Is it accidental? Does this often happen? Seem unlikely that it would happen by chance. weird. Guess I would need to see it happen to fully understand it.

Edited by Cudz

from what i have gathered on this site, is that it is a form of snagging, and naturally many people on here get really heated about the hole topic.

never tried it, never going to, only time i have ever heard of it and marshmellows was here.

I am a bit slow. "the leader passes throught the salmon's mouth". How would the leader pass through the mouth? Is it accidental? Does this often happen? Seem unlikely that it would happen by chance. weird. Guess I would need to see it happen to fully understand it.

It happens very often as salmon have large gaping mouths (picture a panting dog) set lines and long leaders take advantage of this. It is often accidental but it is also practiced often.

It happens very often as salmon have large gaping mouths (picture a panting dog) set lines and long leaders take advantage of this. It is often accidental but it is also practiced often.

Wow that is insane. I never thought that would be possible. I now understand.

I have heard people talking about lining a salmon in the river, or "the salmon was lined". What does this mean? I am not interested in using this technique, just wondering what it is.

Yup,like Spiel said.....Personally I feel it is more of a snagging method(most of the time done innocently by novice fisherman) opposed to intising the fish to hit from hunger or agression. Its a grey area for sure because of the fact that when all is said and done the hook ends up pretty much in the mouth area of the fish sometimes in if the hook passes through into the mouth and sometimes on the outside if the hook finds home on the intial hook set.

Its really up to the fisherman to make the ethical choice as to what tecnique he will use to go after the fall salmon while they are in the river. I personally if and when I fish for salmon in the rivers its done under a float. This presentation offers the bait to the fish from in front and or overhead in some intstances pending on how accurate your rig is set up opposed to the depth of the pool your fishing.....This ensures if you actually get a salmon to hit its going to be the real deal and the hook should be in its mouth........

Good Luck !!

Salmon have a habit of swiming against the current with there gaping kipes somewhat open and it is easy to slip your line in their big mouths at this point and for the most part this happens unintentionally with fisherman because of the high numbers of fish in the pools. then the fish usually swims off or your drift on your bait naturally brings the hook to the fish and then imbeds the hook into the face mouth area of the salmon.....

Pretty much every salmon that you catch in the rivers that has been up there for more than a couple days has been "lined". There might be the odd one that will bite out of aggression but that is not the rule. It doesn't matter if you float or bottom bounce -- in fact you are more likely to line them float fishing as your line typically is not vertical in the water column. When I started fishing, I spent alot of time after fall salmon and very rarely caught one that I was sure bit (aside from numerous small jacks). I only fish the piers now (for the last 5 years)-- more fun and a great fight -- how many times have you been spooled in the river?

I was using marshmallows, but I'll try those ear plugs. Heard they last a lot longer, but I'll have nothing to snack on!

Nah cigarette butts, clean up the pier and free bait all at the same time! :rolleyes:

Anyone else remember the guy that won the Owen Sound Spectacular a few years ago with a 24lb. rainbow lined on a cigarette butt, heh DuMaurier Light!

• 4 weeks later...
Nah cigarette butts, clean up the pier and free bait all at the same time! :rolleyes:

Anyone else remember the guy that won the Owen Sound Spectacular a few years ago with a 24lb. rainbow lined on a cigarette butt, heh DuMaurier Light!

I’m new to salmon fishing and I want to try thing that work. Do I have this right, to use this fishing method I need to use a long leader 8-9ft with a hook n string with an ear plug or cigarette butt right on the hook. Do I need to use a heavy weight or a light weight and what’s a good line weight to use?