Musky help

dough_boy_99

Hi all this is Mark. I have been chasing musky for about five years now and have been getting more and better results each year. Having said that, I am still after that 50" giant. I am just wondering if any of the members here would have info on where my best bet would be to get a 50" musky. I have fished the Niagara River, most of the Kawartha lakes, and the Moon River, so far a 46" pigeon fish is my PB. With fall coming on I will definitely be booking a few upcoming trips and would like to hear some ideas about where would be a good bet. Ottawa River has been recommended to me by a couple people but as with a lot of the other trophy waters I have no familiarity with where on the River to start and can't really afford to hire a guide on every different system. Any info would be much appreciated, definitely willing to share info about the Kawarthas where I have had success in return. Thanks, Mark

46pigeon.JPG

Well, no doubt you've fished trophy water with many 50+ and potential WR's in the Moon and Niagara just a little harder to find them and lots of hours and lot's of water. I would say Lake of the Woods and St.Clair as well, they seem to have a higher population with less water to cover but still have huge fish. Next the French and lake Nippising, but still a difficult water to find fish, similar to the Moon.

1 Ottawa River

2 St Clair

3 French

4 Byng Inlet

5 Mcgregor Bay(seems like only 50's exist here but you need to go for a week)

All of these are excellent trophy musky waters. But you need to spend time learning them and fish them for long periods of consecutive days to have your best shot at landing a 50

50 inch fish exist in all the waters you have fished. I'm no expert, my biggest is 42, but I have seen kawartha fish that I know were 50 +

Just keep at it. There's no easy place to catch a trophy musky .. and if it was easy, what would be the point?

Without hiring a guide...........

Youve fished the Kawarthas....they do hold 50+ fish

As others have said, you have to put the time in and look for the structure you learned to locate and be there at the right time............TIME ON THE WATER

That about it.

If'n you want larger..youve reciev3ed a couple of great suggestions already without hiring a guide.

If your seriously considering the Ottawa or Larry............PM ROY as a start.

He'll steer you in the right direction.................Right Roy?

Get your 50"er without a guide. Muskie is about hard work. Dont rely on paying someone to put you on a fish. At the back of your head you will always think that you didnt catch it. My buddy got a 50"er on the Kawarthas last year. Georgian Bay, St Lawrence, Ottawa, St Clair, LOTW, etc are your best chances.

If you want a place thats close(within 4 hours) of Toronto go visit the West Arm of Lake Nippising in July or August when the muskie are in full tilt feeding mode. You can stay at a number of different lodges up there . I prefer Lakair Lodge because it is more central to that side of the lake,between West Bay and Warren Bay which hold some pretty decent size fish. I havent fished it as much as I have in past years but I did get my 50 incher out of West Bay when I was more actively fishing for muskie....

Good Luck !!