another "new boat" question

Rizzo

First off, thanks to all those who eased my mind a few weeks ago when I thought I had trashed my new boat within 20 minutes of getting it on the water. Turns out it was just a spun hub and all is now well. Never had a motor heavy enough to warrant a transom saver, but this one (50hp 4 stroke) came with one. Should I be keeping the motor tilted on the transom saver when the boat is in storage, or should I return the motor to a vertical position once the drive home is over?

Rizzo,

We have the same kicker '03 motor on an 16" 02 Lund.

I dont have a transom saver and that's a different debate but I trailer it with a 2x8 tilted in the mount bracket.

During the winter I store the motor vertical.

During the season either in water or dry I keep it tilted, there is a tilt lock on my transom mount that I use to ease the load on the hydraulics.

It's a relatively light motor so I don't think there is a load of strain on the transom either way compared to the forces applied during a hole shot...

Our manual says to store the motor with the left side facing up between starts. So stop, trim down, turn wheel all the way right or tiller left and trim up so the left motor casing is up, then store. I definitely notice it's easier to start vs tilted up or tilted & left - keeps the carb dry from gas dripping in if it's tilted (I'm not 100% sure if that's correct but it's something along those lines.)

Either way I think you're fine...but I prefer to keep it tilted all the time to avoid...ummm...launch "incidents."

keeps the water drained and the oil where it should be(it's a 4 stroke).I only use the transom saver when in transit.

thats what I was thinking and why I asked the question...but most of the responses have said keep it tilted. I guess either way can be right depending on what your priorioties are (save transom/hydraulics or keep fluids where they belong0

As stated before, keeping it in the running position lets the water drain. Water in motor + freezing temp = bad.

Make a good habit of putting it vertical in the driveway. That way you will never get caught by freezing weather and 100% water.

Oh...and leave it in neutral.

Forrest

When even NOT is use my motor is vertical for the last 23 years on my boat. It's a 50 hp Johnson.

It is tilted about 45 degrees with a piece of wood to block it up while towing.

A 50 hp is not that heavy of a motor on the transom unless you have a bad transom to begin with.

Bob