Weird Looking Fish Out Of Rice Lake

Blue_Axela

My neighbour caught this out of Rice Lake this past weekend. I have never seen a fish like this ever...she gave it to me to take pictures and contact the MNR if neccessary. It was caught with a worm.

Is this just a case of someone dumping their pet fish into the lake? Or is it an invasive species?

Here are some pics of it.

One thing is for sure...it is ugly and has teeth...

img0274au1.jpg

img0276tm7.jpg

Whoa. That's serasalmus natteri . The red bellied piranha. I hope you are just fooling around. If you aren't, there is a major league idiot out there. I mean the one that released it into the lake.

I am not fooling around. This was fished out of Rice Lake this past weekend. I have it frozen at the cottage.

Someone educate me. Are Piranhas salt or fresh water fish? I thought they were salt water fish found in the Amazon...lol.

Piranhas are freshwater fish. You are right about the part that they'r from Amazon... except Amazon is a freshwater body, not saltwater :)

Fresh Water. They seem to get released into ponds and lakes every year but they are tropical and they cant survive our winters. The biggest risk as with all aquarium fish is disease

Most likely they wont' survive. BUT there's always exception. I've read reports of tropical fish (mostly small ones like tetras etc) that managed to survive as small colonies in warmer water of cold geographic regions.... say warm water exhaust from power plants or what not.