What boat to buy?

myst

Hi guys, what brands are the most reliable for boats and best bang for your buck? I'm looking to spend no more than $30,000 on a nice setup. I've been renting for years and this will be my first boat. I fish mostly smaller lakes within 2 hours of the Ottawa area but I will probably venture out to bigger ones eventually. I fish mostly bass, pike, and walleye. Also what size motor do you guys suggest? Thanks.

If you are in a position to buy, I would not buy until comparing all major brands side to side. And the only place to do that is at the Toronto boat show in February.

When you decide on a style and price point, you will find that all of the boats are quite similar in what they and their dealers will offer. That is why I think you need to sit in all of them and compare likes and dislikes.

It is worth the wait.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, it will usually be 2 to 3 people, with the occasional 4. Is the boat show in February better than the one next weekend?

I have not been to the outdoor boat show. But I have a hard time imagining anything as good as the one in February.

The other nice thing about waiting is that all of the 2009's will be out. Most of the boat manufacturers have had layoffs so they should be motivated to sell boats, and the dealers will be anxious to move remaining 08's.

Plus it gives you something to look forward to in the winter!