Why snagged fish is much more difficult to land?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Here is another stupid question.

When I used to use bottom-bounching, braided line with spinning reel for salmon,

I ALWAYS land snagged fish regardless of where the fish was snagged

However, things are never the same as soon as I switch to mono-main + fluro-leader + centerpin.

I could almost never ever be able to land a fish if it is snagged.

I wonder if it is because snagged fish is much more difficult to control (basically no control), and braided

line is strong enough to pull it off

Who can give me an explanation as to why hooking fish in the mouth makes landing much easier?

Is it because it makes them tired much faster? or is it because they give up faster?

BTW, i never keep fish which were accidently snagged. It was all for the fun

please dont flame me =)

Aerodynamically speaking, fish hooked in the mouth, (which is the only legal/ethical place to hook them) a fish will come in much more easily. If you're purposely snagging fish, you should hang up your skates now. Please don't tell me you're purposely snagging fish.

Here is another stupid question.

When I used to use bottom-bounching, braided line with spinning reel for salmon,

I ALWAYS land snagged fish regardless of where the fish was snagged

I wonder if it is because snagged fish is much more difficult to control (basically no control), and braided

line is strong enough to pull it off

Is it because it makes them tired much faster? or is it because they give up faster?

BTW, i never keep fish which were accidently snagged. It was all for the fun

please dont flame me =)

If by accident I snag a salmon I would try to break off as fast as possible. As not spook the rest of the salmon in the pool.

Probably get a lot of other guy ticked at you would even try to land a snagged salomn. I have seen that happen many times, a novice having one snagged and the rest of the guys screaming at him to break it off.

The only way I can see that you would be constantly snagging salmon (accidentally) is if you are fishing tiny pools in creeks where the salmon are stacked. It's questionable if that is even considered fishing. Catch them off piers and river mouths before they start into the rivers. They actually attack lures still at that point. Once they get into the creeks just let them do their thing. There's no point standing beside a 10ft pool and dangling things in front of them til a hook snags them in the mouth/tail/back. Sry to flame, but I've been reading your posts and it sounds like you didn't have a tonne of success off the piers and now you are chasing them up the creeks. You are making it sound like you snag quite a few salmon which implies you are fishing tiny pools. Hey, maybe I'm wrong but at least do yourself a favour and don't announce that you are snagging salmon.

The only way I can see that you would be constantly snagging salmon (accidentally) is if you are fishing tiny pools in creeks where the salmon are stacked. It's questionable if that is even considered fishing. Catch them off piers and river mouths before they start into the rivers. They actually attack lures still at that point. Once they get into the creeks just let them do their thing. There's no point standing beside a 10ft pool and dangling things in front of them til a hook snags them in the mouth/tail/back. Sry to flame, but I've been reading your posts and it sounds like you didn't have a tonne of success off the piers and now you are chasing them up the creeks. You are making it sound like you snag quite a few salmon which implies you are fishing tiny pools. Hey, maybe I'm wrong but at least do yourself a favour and don't announce that you are snagging salmon.

Agreed

Snagging: One of the main reasons I stopped river fishing during this time. Now I only head out late October to December.

River mouths is the better option, feel the rush of a fresh chinook hitting a spoon. It is like a runaway freight train.

Guest Fishing For Life

Sigh, i knew some of you guys are going to overreact which made me

think twice before asking that question

Let me make this clear. I have never purposely snagged fish, ok?

so please stop flaming and stop giving me lectures if you may

please also ask yorself if you have ever accidently snagged a fish in his/her whole life?

If i were to purposely snag a fish, why dont I use a treble hook with inline-spinner?

Therefore, please keep your unnecessary wrath at home, thanks

my questions is whether anyone can give me a scientific explanantion as why it is

easier to land a fish. PERIOD. THANKS AGAIN

I think what people are a bit upset about is that fact that you don't try to break off the fish once you have figured out it's been snagged.

Everyone who river fishes has accidentally snagged a fish, no one can take the high road on that one. It just depends on what you do once you've snagged it that makes the difference.

THe issue was that his post made it sound like he was consistently snagging fish. Obviously, anyone going out for salmon is hoping to hook them in the mouth. No doubt about that. But, just as an example, if you were to fish a pool full of salmon and make a few drifts, snag a salmon, make a few more drifts, snag another salmon... etc, etc. then it's time to move on. His post sounds like he is in a situation where there are lots of salmon around him yet all he can manage to do is foul hook them, so he plays them out and somehow finds gratification in the fight. He is certainly wanting to properly hook the fish, that's clear. I think it's just his methods that are wrong. If you are snagging fish by chance, over and over, re-evaluate the situation. Something isn't adding up. I suggest trying piers or rivermouths.

I'm sure you haven't purposely ever snagged a fish, yet it looks like you are fishing in spots that are setting you up to do just that.

The only reason why you can land a fish faster when hooked in the mouth regardless of what line your using is because you can steer the fish to the direction you want faster with control period no scientific facts here. It's common sense really!

Next time you go to the creek get your stop watch out with pen and paper collect your data and report back with your findings. When hooked in the tail or any part of the body I can assure you it will take double the time to land when compared to a fish hook a fish hooked in the mouth. Seriously though if you have a fouled hooked fish you should break if off or land it immiediately and not minutes later.

Also, by the time you land a fouled hooked fish I can assure you the fish will be good as dead caused from the unneccesary stress especially with the warm water temps, it might swim away momentarily but by the end of the day it'll be a floater.

Best of luck!

If by accident I snag a salmon I would try to break off as fast as possible. As not spook the rest of the salmon in the pool.

Probably get a lot of other guy ticked at you would even try to land a snagged salomn. I have seen that happen many times, a novice having one snagged and the rest of the guys screaming at him to break it off.

Well I hope if you or any of the other guys at the "pool" ever get a hook in yourselves, you just break the line and leave the hook in your flesh to dissolve or whatever you think it's going to do to remove itself!

I personally will do my best to land the fish and remove the hook, then return the fish to the water a quickly as possible... that is the LAW!!!