GRAND TOURING

V1000

I guess it's a 4 stroke liquid cooled 2 up machine

does anyone know anything about them..good bad or ugly

ok seems it might well be 2 heavy

I want a 2 up machine I want it to pull all my fishing stuff and hut

I want to get through the slush on simcoe

and to make it in one piece to Lady Evelyn and back

so what do I want......and what is a lot of km on a machine...is 5000km too many

Edited by Terry

yeah thanks

I have just started looking and found one with very low km for a low price and a lot newer then the ones I have been finding in price range I had been looking at

I just want a long track 2 up machine 600 cc +........

Yea, its too heavy Terry, I aint going to help you dig, pull, dig that pig out of a drift somewhere between Temagami and Lady Evelyn..... :lol: plus insurance will be more with the bigger motor.

yeah

that's what I am thinking

I do want a 2 up long track...so the new question is what machine and cc do I want

Ski-Doo's line up of 2up long tracks 136in are hard to beat imo.A bud has a 02 Formula deluxe 700 and will haul the mail when asked to and pull like a freight train.Nice comfy ride,stable in corners.Takes bumps nice as long as they are set up properly.

Just a few things to look for;

-Under the seat(tunnel)for damage,signs of coolant leakage.Check for signs that the tunnel isnt bent(usually caused by a hard roll)

-under belly pan(under engine)cracks, pulled rivets.

-Check the track out for wear, ripped lugs, if the tracked is studded make sure theres tunnel protectors there.(strips of plastic that run front of tunnel to back that wont allow the studs to come into contact with the tunnel).

-get a compression and a leak down test if you are able to.

-check the colour of the inj.oil (milky means water pump seal failure)

-coolant strength

Any ?'s pm me.Be glad to help.

For more details and to get info check out www.dootalk.com.Theres alot to be found on that site and I do believe theres a Ont classified section also.

Was out sitting on my sled in the garage the other day. Can't wait for hard water. The Skidoo line up of Touring and Grandtouring are great sleds. The touring is a fan cooled and the Grand touring are Liquid. (until about 2001) I had a 98 Grandtouring 500 and have been all across the province on it. Left Simcoe in the morning and was on Nipising by evening. Long day. I'm on Simcoe all winter long fishing and the slush hasn't been a big problem with the 136" track. The Touring line of 380 440 500 are all two up and great ice fishing sled. The fan cooled is great when snow conditions are less than favourable. Driving patch to patch can be tough. The liquid needs snow and lots of it to keep the heat exchangers cool. They are under the tunnel so if going slow because of less snow it's hard to keep the sled cool. I've had to stop driving patch to patch to let my sled cool. Both sleds need snow for the sliders. My Grand Touring has made it into many back lakes in deep powder with not much problem. When you get it stuck 500 lbs is 500 lbs. There are easy/simple ways to get sleds unstuck. All around try to pick up a 136" sled that is a two up. The older touring/grand touring are the SC-10 suspension. With the newer Rev platform there are a ton of the SC-10 suspension sleds around at bargin prices. Most dealers won't take them on a trade in as they can't get rid of them. Just look at how well maintained the sled is. Is it all rusted in the front from trailering ? sault. How's the track. If it's starting to crack then you'll be replacing it $800. I just sold my GT last spring and picked up a 2005 GTX 500. It's a comfy sled.

RR

hey Terry:

heres my 97 touring ski doo 500 sle

2 up--long track--heated handle bars yaddy yaddy

best part is ELECTRIC START AND REVERSE...

i pull my 8x6 hut with it and it laughs at me..

i pull Trackers 8x10 hut with bunk beds in it and still laughs at me.

this machine is more then you need to do every thing you could want.

lady simcoe has lots of ice patches on it so when you get your sled if its not studded then stud the track yourself.

i did mine last year , it makes a world of difference.

Dann

Image026.jpg

I prefer to go with yamaha products i find them much more reliable, a good sled for what your looking for would be be the venture touring it has a 144 inch track handles the twisties pretty good and will pretty much float over everything, plus it's super comfy to boot .

Yea, its too heavy Terry, I aint going to help you dig, pull, dig that pig out of a drift somewhere between Temagami and Lady Evelyn..... :lol: plus insurance will be more with the bigger motor.

:D you know...Laker Jessy would be happy to ride on the back, but... I don't think she'll be much help digging it out either :P

Hey Terry,

A two stroke fan cooled is good for around 5,000 miles then you gotta really start thinking top end and seals.Been there 3 times between 5 and 6,000 miles and popped a ring each time.I don't run a machine hard but that seems to be the norm. A two stroke liquid may last to 10,000 miles without any real problems.Some liquids excel at being driven hard and lasting long.Four strokes are going to go long on mileage but probably expensive yet used and there's lots of choice out there in two strokes.

Mine's an AC Panther fan cooled 570 and I'm happy with it.I tow a Trap Pro with it and no problems.I don't have to worry about overheating either.Slides won't heat up that bad unless you're really giving it.I've travelled probably five miles at one time without hardly any snow and haven't had them stick.I get a whole season out of them between that and trails.you can get an ice scratcher kit from Royal Distributing I think which might help for liquids to cool but I wouldn't trust them entirely.

The Yamaha Venture as mentioned by ecmilley is probably one of the nicest two ups out there.With a liquid cooled 600 it'll get you anywhere and the 144" track pikked oughtta pull you through anything out there.Not to mention that 600 is one of the quietest nicest sounding 600's ever made.

Good Luck on your choice Terry

Kerry

• 4 weeks later...

Wayne it's only a good hour ride 60 or so km away........ok maybe if it's -30 something again it might be too much....LOL

Kerry, skeeter, ravinerat

you guys make me think I made a good choice, thanks

now waiting for 3 or so months is killing me....not that I want snow early

2004 ski-doo legend 500 liquid cool 2 up

DSCF3351.jpg

Edited by Terry

I've scouted the route by air a couple of times now...all the way up Temagami to Sharp Rock Inlet... into Diamond... up it's North Arm.. avoid the outflow of and into the bottom of Lady E's South W arm. It's a good 40 miles by sled and then to a spot on Lady E to fish !! If it's warm... possibly doable if I bring the cutter for fuel cans !

Reminds me.. gotta go find a heated helmut so I don't sacrifice another ear lobe this winter.

Now... enough of this cold crap....at least three months of soft water to go I hope!