Hurricane Gustov

Headhunter

TG,

glad to hear your daughter is back and safe. your right about her man, those workers will need people like him to help keep them going during what looks to be another major hit. my hats off to him and the rest of the health workers that will have to stay.

best wishes,

jason

I really hope people are a bit wiser this time round. My mother lost everything in Katrina including the town she lived in, Pass Christien Mississippi. 80% of the homes and 100% of the businesses were destroyed. The local city oficials are still working out of trailors 3 years after the fact. You really only ever hear about New Orleans but in reality it did not get hit with the worst of Katrina. The reason for what happend in New Orleans was the scouring of the levees which were and still are only rated to a Cat3. The towns to the east of New Orleans were harder hit, i fact the eye came ashore in Bay St. Louis/ Passs Christien with a 33 ft storm surge and 145mph winds virtually wiping out everything in its path.

In Pass Christien there was a Pole in the harbour that showed storm surge heights from past storms withCamille being the measuring stone at 21ft, well Katrina blew her away. I was there less than a week after and I will never forget what I saw, you could not even tell what street you were on, it was heart wrenching. People were living in tents and under tarps on what was there property and alot still are today 3yrs after.

I went back last year and the town is still mostly in ruin and also went into New Orleans, when approaching the city it was so erie, picture driving into a major city with all the suburbs surrounding it and seeing that no one lives in any of the thousands of homes and the streets are empty and stores and malls are all boarded up. It certainly makes you feel really alone and gives you a scope at what happend and what most likely will happen again.

They should have just left the areas flooded and reclaimed by mother nature the way it was intended, people have not come back to those areas anyway and most likely wont.

And on the origional topic, if I was staying in New Orleans I would definitely buy protection as well, especilly after Katrina.

The wife just came in and was tellin' me about an interview she saw on the Weather Channel with a woman that lives on the Gulf Coast and was going to ride the hurricane out in her basement with the help of a mop, charcoal, and a few steaks... :rolleyes:

The Darwin Awards should be interesting this year! :whistling:

Edited by GCD

I will take this opportunity to apologize to those offended by my first post, it was a bit of a sarcastic remark that was ill timed and poorly delivered. I responded too quickly without really thinking. It was not my intention to paint all Americans with the same brush, but I clearly did so, and understand why some are upset. I'm sure this article does not represent everyone and many of you probably found the idea of buying guns in an emergency like this as ridiculous as I did. However I find it ridiculous that a magazine would publish an article like this as in my opinion it gives off a terrible message. It is things like this that give people the wrong impression.

Sorry to those unfairly judged, hopefully you can accept my apology and move forward,

I will take this opportunity to apologize to those offended by my first post, it was a bit of a sarcastic remark that was ill timed and poorly delivered. I responded too quickly without really thinking. It was not my intention to paint all Americans with the same brush, but I clearly did so, and understand why some are upset. I'm sure this article does not represent everyone and many of you probably found the idea of buying guns in an emergency like this as ridiculous as I did. However I find it ridiculous that a magazine would publish an article like this as in my opinion it gives off a terrible message. It is things like this that give people the wrong impression.

Sorry to those unfairly judged, hopefully you can accept my apology and move forward,

That was a very nice apology timmeh! :thumbsup_anim: ... and accepted here with no hard feelings at all Bubba. ;)

I would not buy guns for an upcoming disaster. Why not use the ones I already own? They are legal and I'm comfortable with using them.

First time gun owners can be dangerous. Guys with stolen or looted guns can be dangerous.

You're absolutely right TG. I need another gun like I need another fishin lure! The most I can shoot accurately at one time is one, I'm pretty good with the .22...but I'm deadly with the pellet rifle!!! :w00t:

I have been told that the Canadian DART team are now confirming personal and Equipment for possible task again in New Orleans. Also a Navy Ship is also on standby in the area to react for assistance

... and we will be very grateful for the help should we need it!!!

The storm has turned out to be the catastrophic event everybody was hoping it wouldn't be, but it's not over yet. High tide won't crest until about 1:00 a.m. in the morning and some levees already have water coming over the top of them... hopefully everything will hold!