I'm gettin hungry

bigcreekdad

It's been awhile, but this is always fun. What are your favorite ways of frying fish, and what coatings do you like? Also, do you pan fry, deep fry, or saute? Also of importance is your preference of types of oil.

One of my favorites for pan or deep frying is simply to pat the fish in a plate of flour before frying. The difference is to mix thouroughly into the flour cayenne pepper....you can add as much as you want, but i like enough to so that the mixture has a pinkish tinge to each. Try it....it give this basic recipe a bit of a kick.

Damn, I'm getting hungry!

I'm a little off topic, but here's a hint. I filter my peanut oil after each use and am able to get two weeks out of a gallon while feeding four people fish all but a day or two. I'm not dealing with light eaters. Talking about Whopper, Norton, Choo Choo, and JP, to mention a few from the board. LipDip is probably the champ.

I give fish a buttermilk bath, then coat with Zatarain seasoned batter. A thermometer is a must because I bring the oil temperature to 375 F. before dropping in the fish.

Hey, funny that you mentioned that Tennessee cuz I filter my oil after frying some fish too. Seems a shame to throw it all out when all ya have to do is put it through a strainer to get rid of the bigger pieces and then re-use it a few times. Honestly I don't think there is any difference in flavour.

Fried, deep fried or sauteed, makes no diff. All very yummy. Fave coating of others at the table would be my beer batter. It's amazing how many people will show up at my place for a pot luck fry.

As for the oil, it's whatever is on sale. Filtering is good, but it also needs to be clarified. As you finish cooking throw a few pieces of potato in before turning off the heat. Potatoes will absorb the residual flavours, juices, etc... that will make oil go cloudy with repeat use. With the crowd I feed that means taters to start. Followed by the main event. Finishing with a last batch of taters.

I also like to take my left over batter, thicken it up with pancake flour, and make deep fried bannock. I was taught there is no waste in bush cooking.

Just thinking about this is making me drool.

I also like to take my left over batter, thicken it up with pancake flour, and make deep fried bannock. I was taught there is no waste in bush cooking.

Great use for the leftovers bigugli

I run some mushrooms and\oronion rings thru thickened batter for caps or rings.yum

Another good one is dip a frozen Mars bar into a thick batter for deep fried mars bar.Dont use a bar at room temp as it will completly melt and disappear.

Personal favorite is pan fried in butter, or 1/2 butter 1/2 veggie oil. For batter, I used to make my own but was recently introduced to using simply seasoned bread crumbs. I was a little skeptical at first, but the seasoned (or italian) bread crumbs have a ton of flavour, and cook up nice and crunchy!

there's so many ways to prepare fish I don't even know where to start...not my profession now, but I worked as a chef for years, have had my papers for 20 years almost, and occasionally work for a catering company on weekends in the summer for the last 3 years as a way of making some fun money on the side.

For battered, like the Bigugli said...can't beat a simple beer batter..great pre-mix, just add beer is..Krusto...just had a good little fry with that at my trailer on Tuesday night (reprt to come tommorrow after work, noi time today..kid has been on the computer and just got off,gotta leave for work at 4 am so going to bed soon :sleeping_02: )..I been to a few good pot luck cookouts with the Bigulgi bunch..we whip up a pretty darn good feed together :worthy:

If anyone ever needs some good ideas for cooking up your fav fish or game, don't be shy, I know tonnes of recipes for just about anything that swims, crawl, runs,flies :canadian: