My Road Trip NF

Zubris21

Well as some of you may know I recently accepted a teaching job in Northern B.C. I decided to drive out here, and this is basically a chronicle of my adventure. I left aug 7th and got here on the 18th, put just under 7000km's on the car.

The first day we left Kingston around 11am, made a quick stop in Toronto at the girlfriends parents, then started the real driving. We made it to Sudbury that night, but the driving was pretty intense. We hit a pretty big storm around Honey Harbour and drove for about an hour in Driving rain. The next day was again full of driving with few stops. We made it to Thunder Bay and spent the night there. I wanted to bring my girlfriend to Ouimet Canyon but unfortunately the rain deterred us again. (she's never driven west before). On our way out of Thunder Bay we made a quick stop at the Niagara of the North an snapped a couple photos....

Kakbeka Falls

IMG_3179.jpg

Then we continued on. We pulled into Brandon, Man. around 8pm feeling really tired, hungry and road weary with the plan on spending the night. Stopped at Huskey for some dinner then went to find a hotel. After checking a couple places we found out there was a big baseball tournament and a big music festival, and there wasn't a single hotel room available in Brandon. On top of that, the campground was the location for the music festival, So back on the road to Verdin, Man where we had a comfortable night.

The next day we wanted to take it easy and decided to just drive without a plan for how long. We made it through Sask. My girlfriend thought that as soon as we got to the Alberta border we'd be in the mountains, haha boy was she wrong. Spent the night in Brooks, Alta. Then headed to Nordegg, in the foothills of the rockies for a few days of relaxation at Goldeye resort (her brother works there so we got hooked up nicely). On the way we saw 4 Pronghorn Antelop in a field but weren't able to take a picture. The following are pictures from in and around Banff/Jasper National Park....

The Chariot that brought me....

IMG_3231.jpg

View from hwy 93

IMG_3255.jpg

This mountain is called sleeping Indian

IMG_3219.jpg

This guy was just hanging out on the side of the road. We saw about 15 of them in total, but this was the only Ram

IMG_3308.jpg

Athabasca Glacier

IMG_3262.jpg

Tourists like to get close to bears... this guy was sitting about 15ft off the side of the road, and everyone was standing out of their cars taking pictures of him... a little silly if you ask me.

IMG_3336.jpg

A small trout of some sort (likely brookie) swimming in a stream.

IMG_3326.jpg

Small elk on the golf course

IMG_3344.jpg

Even came across some wild horses crossing the road...

IMG_3363.jpg

I dropped my Girlfriend off in Calgary with some friends to fly back home, and I continued the rest of the way solo. Got to the juntion of hwy 37 and 37a and decided to take a detour towards Stewart B.C. to get some gas. Boy am I glad I did. Probably the most beautiful 60km stretch I've ever driven, and lots of bears as well. Here are a few pics from that small stretch of highway.

Mountains in the clouds...

IMG_3370.jpg

Another glacier, I just happened upon, this ones called Bear Glacier and I later found out why....

IMG_3376.jpg

My first ever grizzly sighting. There were 2 of them walking down the road towards me. They weren't too big, maybe yearlings, or 2 year olds, and I thought a momma might be around but never saw her.

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

And finally a little camera work to make this Black Bear look a lot bigger than he actually was...

IMG_3380.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't done any fishing up here, because its been raining for the most part, and I'm a little nervous heading out solo, with all the bears I've seen. There is a little brookie lake about 5 mins away that I might try if it clears up, and if I catch anything I'll be sure to make a report!

-fwf

Edited by freshwaterfanatic

Wow....great pics and awsome journey out west! Had to have killed you though...seeing all those lakes in Northern Ontario and that trout though....I know it would have done me in...LOL.

Hope you're getting settled nicely...looking forward to your first western report!