Camping equipment preference?

Wild

If I were you I'd buy a tent with a full length Fly, and a vestibule for your Shoes, and rain gear...

There is nothing worse then haveing to keep your wet, muddy, stinky rain gear in the tent with you...yuck!

Vestibules rock!!!

if your Traveling light all your gear can stay dry and tucked away in them, I've even kept Firewood In there overnight to make the morning Fire a little easier to start.

I have a Coleman that is no longer made...

But its essentialy just like this, only green

9260D727C.jpg

Its only $110

But I don't like how the Fly stops a foot from the Ground on the new model...seems stupid to me?

The Fly on mine goes to the ground and extends out about a foot out from the Base...and never leaks

This however Caught my eye as an affordable model that looks Pretty water tight.

2000001111.jpg

This one is $70

But still it would be nice to have the fly extend out away from the bottom of the tent?

I should get into Tent design LOL...

Don't forget to buy a good ground sheet, and Thermal Air mat as well, when properly used it can be the difference between a wet morning, and dry comfy sleep.

You can pick these models up at lebarons, and I'd bet they have nicer ones with a larger Fly as well.

Edited by Cookslav

I highly prefer a folding matress over an air mattress. It's 10x more comfortable to me as I need firmness or my back kills. Something like this:

http://www.furnitureandaccents.com/natwadtrhi.html

I own 3 different ones.

Nice to have a small portable mattress such as a Therma-Rest. Again, you get what you pay for.

Actually what Sketty says seems better than what I showed (I don't camp very often).

Edited by Governator

Air mattresses are O.K. for warm weather camping, and can be quite bad for you in early spring/late fall. As air temps drop, so does the temp. in the mattress. A solid matress or roll will at least offer you more insulation. If the ground is cold, that cold quickly transfers through the air mattress to your bag.

One good all weather cheat for your sleeping bag is a fleece liner. They even make a great difference with a cheaper bag. You should see some of the sleeping bags some boys will bring with them on their first all weather camp. Can't blame them, its all their folks could afford. I've always kept a few extra micro fleeces and they have been the difference in avoiding a bad camping experience.

Have you had a look at Tent City? Their website shows a featured tent that may suit your needs.

Tent City Special

I may have to check this one out myself..

Thank Barnie I will check out the store.

I highly prefer a folding matress over an air mattress. It's 10x more comfortable to me as I need firmness or my back kills. Something like this:

http://www.furnitureandaccents.com/natwadtrhi.html

I own 3 different ones.

Actually what Sketty says seems better than what I showed (I don't camp very often).

Actually this Coleman mattress can be adjusted for firmness and has coil chambers sort of, pretty good lay if I do say so.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&id=0005884

May be overkill...but I love mine and so does everyone else that has stayed it in with the wood stove. Read the reviews on the Cabelas site.

Jason

Hay Jason I want a tent not a second house! :lol:

I like the design and the high sidewalls, plenty of room for a wide screen TV too I see, but would a provincial park allow me to bring in a wood stove?

Air mattresses are O.K. for warm weather camping, and can be quite bad for you in early spring/late fall. As air temps drop, so does the temp. in the mattress.

Yes that true if its your useing a basic $15 "blow up" model.

The self inflating therma rest models are made for all seasons, super light, durable, and compact to boot...but

They also cost $70-$150

Edited by Cookslav

MEC has some great tents depending on your needs. We have a Ptarmigan 3 Season, 3 Man. It is perfect for the 2 of us and allows us to store our gear inside. Michelle has a MEC self inflatting air roll. It provides a good thermal break between yo and the ground, they cost about $80.00.

We both have MEC 4 season hybrid bags - -20 Celcius - fill is down/synthetic blend. They weigh just shy of 3 lbs. The tent is 3.5lbs.

Dollar for dollar Mec = best quality/value in my opinion.

MEC has some great tents depending on your needs. We have a Ptarmigan 3 Season, 3 Man. It is perfect for the 2 of us and allows us to store our gear inside. Michelle has a MEC self inflatting air roll. It provides a good thermal break between yo and the ground, they cost about $80.00.

We both have MEC 4 season hybrid bags - -20 Celcius - fill is down/synthetic blend. They weigh just shy of 3 lbs. The tent is 3.5lbs.

Dollar for dollar Mec = best quality/value in my opinion.

MEC? :huh: I keep forgetting about them

Be aware that no woods tents or sleeping bags are made in Canada anymore.. As far as I know the woods stuff is all made offshore now and the woods logo is licenced to CT.

The Woods dining shelter purchased at CTC is now rebranded as Nordic Cross made in Bangladesh! Perhaps I should do a test setup on this one. The woods sleeping bags are made in China.