Bay of Quinte consumption

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks.We have a great lake full of fish and it sucks I have to ask a question like that. I wonder how many more factories are polluting lake Ontario? And if anything can be done about the mercury levels and other toxins?

What happened to that billion dollar clean up we were hearing about and reviving Lake Ontario's beaches?

Guest Johnny Bass
You should have seen Lake Ontario 30 or 40 years ago. Floating alewives were everywhere and they would form large drifts on the shore every year.

And you should have seen Lake Ontario 100 years ago, when we had a thriving beach.

After getting a lot of warnings to not eat the fish, I think I will feed them to the cats.....

The bay is actually cleaner now than it has been in any of our life times.The mercury that is in the fish now was in the water years ago.Mercury is a heavy metal and never goes away.It can be dilouted or concentrated but it will always be around.So my advice to all who fish the bay and don't trust the consumption guides facts, let them all go and leave them for me ;)

Guest Johnny Bass
Doesn't the bay actually flow out to Lake Ontario? Wouldn't the water quality be similar to that in the Trent and Moira Rivers?

Not according to the consumption guide lines....

Doesn't the bay actually flow out to Lake Ontario? Wouldn't the water quality be similar to that in the Trent and Moira Rivers?

Perhaps, but don't the walleye spend some time out in the big lake during the summer months and then come into the bay in greater numbers as the water temps cool down?

Eating a couple of walleye out of the lake won't hurt you in any way Johnny. I've been eating great lakes fish all my life.... and so far I still have all my hair and I'm pretty sure I'm not sterile. lol

Rich - maybe you should watch some of the video's that you posted !!! - LOL

Only kidding Rich - have enjoyed most of them.

Don

:thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Perhaps, but don't the walleye spend some time out in the big lake during the summer months and then come into the bay in greater numbers as the water temps cool down?

That's only the walleye over 5pnds.... Personally I would feel bad eating a walleye that big anyways :)

Guest Johnny Bass
I checked the guidelines for the Upper Bay and they are almost identical to the Trent River.... Infact in some cases they are better :)

Thats interesting, considering that the water clarity on the Trent is amazing. The meat looked nice and clean and the cat left absolutely nothing. Not even the scales or spine and its still alive, or maybe it has 8 lives left.lol......I still have the bigger one in the freezer.