A great Day of fishing

holdfast

I headed up to Big River again this week and for the First time this year my Daughter came up with her boyfriend to try out some fishing. Last year me and Terrie caught Pickerel every time we put our lines in on Hackett Lake. But when she brought John up for a second trip the Lake was closed because of a severe wind storm and we ended up on another Lake. John had never caught a fish before but did well catching seven jack. I was hoping on this trip to teach him more and maybe catch a Pickerel or two.

My 15 Hp Honda was still in the shop awaiting parts but I got hold of a Yamaha 9.9 and boat for a good price and was anxious to test out the motor. As it turned out it worked excellent

P8090050.jpg

After Terrie showed me how to snap Panoramic pictures I tried a few of the shoreline and Boat dock area.

P8090052.jpg

P8090054.jpg

My Daughter Terrie, is now working in Calgary with the Federal Government testing our foods. When I got posted from Petawawa Ont in 2002 she was about to commence her last year in High School and took the move the hardest. We ended up in a small town of Edgerton Ab., 30 mins from Wainwright. That year she would Graduate with a class of seven and then move on to college in Red Deer and Calgary through an Alberta Student Loan. Eventually we would move Back to Ontario for a year and then I decided to retire and move back out West. Because we left our Daughter behind it made it easier for my Wife to move back out West. Terrie would Graduate this Spring and started working with the same Lab that had Co-oped her.

P8090024.jpg

Now Johnny here as you can see by the way he holds the reel, had never fished before till last year when he caught seven Jack, had grown up all his life in small town Alberta. He moved to town from the farm when he was sixteen. He is a Welder now in Calgary, not his first choice to live, who is working on starting his own buisness leasing himself to the oil companies once they both get stableized. Somehow they got to make it work as Terrie has only a few choices with the Government and oil is about four hours away.

P8090025.jpg

I suggested to Terrie that she try my favorite Rapala and sure enough it didnt fail us. She would catch four Pike before John would catch his first fish.

P8090036.jpg

P8090030.jpg

Although I was just the Boat Operator during the trolling, it gave me a lot of time to reminisce. My mind would take me back when Terrie was about seven years old and as we were canoeing along the Petawawa River in Algonquin Park and every sound she would ask, WHATS THAT DAD? I would say that's a Beaver hitting its tail on the water, or that's a Frog you hear, or That's an otter swimming. My only regret about the Army is that I missed so much time with my family that I will never, never get it back. I hardly ever remember being there for them. I will regret that till the day I die. But I'm so proud of them how they coped, of course my wife deserves a medal for what she had to go through.

P8090029.jpg

P8090028.jpg

We decided to still fish and anchored outside a weedline in 14 feet of water and hit the pickerel using frozen minnows.

P8090043.jpg

P8090045.jpg

P8090041.jpg

I even caught a small pike using a small minnow. I would eventually catch 3 Pike and 3 Pickerel at that spot before departing as a storm was rolling in.

P8090046.jpg

Johnny would catch two pike and we even got him to take a hook out. I laughed so hard watching him flinch

P8090047.jpg

P8090035.jpg

P8090038.jpg

All in all not a bad day but I suggested they stay the long weekend as one day of fishing is too much of as hit and miss.

A great report, pics and good read :thumbsup_anim:

Nothing more enjoyable then to spend quality time with family..... they both look very happy catching fish and their smiles, including yours, worth a 1000 words :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for taking the time to share your day on the water with us!

Leechman

Great report Holdfast, and yes, I can see what you meant about Johnny not being an angler, holding the rod like he does in that one pic. I think he is just concentrating on not losing it overboard, to heck with landing fish, :lol:

Did Johnny really kiss that fish, or was it a fainted attempt

Nice move taking Terrie and John fishing. Keep it up and you'll help John get ready for the next step, if that's in the cards. Be sure he stands up straight, holds his stomach in and has all his buttons buttoned.

Yep, military wives have a huge job and they are special.