Musky Lure Names

tjsa

I will be on Lake of the Woods this Saturday to Tuesday. My bud and I may try for Musky. These were given to me by a friend of mine who worked out that way 20-25 yrs. ago, and the lures are that old also.

Also, any recommendation for a couple more would be appreciated. Most likely will be trolling for them and not casting. My bud gave me a 5'6" casting rod with an Ambassador reel on it, but I have not used a level-wind reel before. I am gonna put some 80 lb. Power Pro on it, with steel leaders(not gonna buy any flouro and crimps for this possibly one time out after Musky.

I am gonna pick up a pair Knipex side cutters. Found a place up here that has a bunch of them on the wall.

004.JPG

007.JPG

Maybe a depth Raider and a Shallow Raider, a large Spinner and a double blade Bucktail such as a Double Cowgirl or DC-10. Also a Poes Giant Jackpot and a 10" Jake. Never been to LOTW but am dreaming to get up there. Know a few guys that have been and had luck with the aforementioned.

Hope this helps.

A reef hawk or sledge will do you good, as you already have the suick and some variation of an ernie.

The only one worth trolling in your pics Tom is the top one in the first pic, and it's a deep diver. The others are jerk and glide baits for casting.

You could maybe troll the buzz type bait in the bottom of the second pic, it will troll at a slower speed and you want it to be on top of the water splashing and gurgling.

Edited to say,

Here's links to what a Jake and Super Shad Raps look like:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Edited by Greencoachdog

you're gonna need a better rod Tom. If you have a dipsey diver rod, it will work for trolling muskies. Wire leaders will work just fine, no 'need' for fluoro.

Also, like GCD said, those are mostly casting lures. Without breaking the bank too much, look into a 10" jointed believer and/or 10" Jake. Both excellent trolling lures.

Send me a PM if you need more info.. or want to trade that big ole' black suick. :D

you're gonna need a better rod Tom. If you have a dipsey diver rod, it will work for trolling muskies. Wire leaders will work just fine, no 'need' for fluoro.

Also, like GCD said, those are mostly casting lures. Without breaking the bank too much, look into a 10" jointed believer and/or 10" Jake. Both excellent trolling lures.

Send me a PM if you need more info.. or want to trade that big ole' black suick. :D

Thanks Raf, much appreciated. ALONG WITH the other responses form everyone else.

No dipsey diver rod for me(don't even know what a dipsey is), never needed one before. Got a couple of Fenwick medium heavy fibreglass downrigger rods with Triton GT's on em'? Been using them for salmon fishing up here for 20 yrs. Will not cast worth a darn, but would handle trolling no problem, and any musky I may hook. If they can handle 20+ lb. Chinooks screaming sideways, they should be able to handle any musky I might wrassle. The chinooks were not too much problem, never really tested the rods much.

I don't(and hopefully don't expect) anything larger than a 30 inch fish, just wanna hook into one once in my lifetime. If I manage to hook into one larger, I will just have to deal with it, and use my fish fighting expertise to land it.

Cannot trade the ol' suick though, I don't own it. Hope I don't lose it. Should I leave it behind??? Is it more important to not use it, for posterity???????

I will look for a Believer and a Jake tomorrow or Wednesday. If none here, I will find them in Kenora probably. The Kenora CTC store is very different from regular CTC stores, they have a target market. My bud says they have an entire aisle with upper end rods and reels(Gloomis, Sage, Shimano, etc.), stuff most of their stores do not stock. They probably have the lures also, along with bass lures that my local ones will not have.

Our main target will be walleye, bass, possibly trying for crappie(will see if GCD's sabiki rigs work if we get the time) and at least one time trying for Musky, but with only 3 days, who knows for sure. My bud is asking someone he knows out there where to even target Musky in the area we will be in. Its about 14 kms. south of Kenora the area I will be in. Are there even Musky around this area, and what are the target areas, structure, etc.

We have no clue. He has been there 30 times at least in the last 17 yrs. but never tried to target them.

He has targetted walleye, and bass a bit, but not Musky.

No dipsey diver rod for me(don't even know what a dipsey is), never needed one before. Got a couple of Fenwick medium heavy fibreglass downrigger rods with Triton GT's on em'? If they can handle 20+ lb. Chinooks screaming sideways, they should be able to handle any musky I might wrassle.

A dipsey diver is a poor man's downrigger. Basically an angled, weighted disc that is tied inline with your lure. It 'dives' as you troll, pulling your bait deep. It can also be angled so that it pulls your bait away from the boat, a bit like planer boards. It has a 'release' that opens when a fish strikes. People use them for lakers, salmon, etc. A dipsey diver creates a lot of drag in the water (like muskie lures), hence, the rods have lot of backbone and work well enough as muskie trolling rods. Dipsey rods are fairly inexpensive, you can get one down here for under $30-50. They typically come in 8'6" to 9'6" lengths. You'd have another weapon in your laker/salmon fishing arsenal too. Rigger rods are typically too 'floppy', but I'd give one a try anyways if that's all that is available. It's not so much about the fish and their power, it's the lures that you are using that neccessitate a heavy type of rod.

I don't(and hopefully don't expect) anything larger than a 30 inch fish, just wanna hook into one once in my lifetime.

You are going on world class water, with world class fish. They start @ 40" there. ;)

Should I leave it behind??? Is it more important to not use it, for posterity???????

definately bring it.. and find a way to use it. they are deadly. lures with teeth marks have much more character too. :)

Its about 14 kms. south of Kenora the area I will be in.

I've always wished but never fished LOTW so I can't help there. It's a big and apparently VERY diverse lake when it comes to its make-up/structure. Generally speaking from what I've heard/read, Whitefish Bay area is apparently a deeper, less fertile section of LOTW with smaller numbers of bigger fish while other areas are shallower, weedy and hold higher densities but perhaps slightly smaller fish.

I'm sure there are people here who can give you a better idea of where you will be.

Edited by Raf

Gee has no one here ever jerk trolled a Suick? Troll the Suicks fast hold the rod in your hands and every four or five seconds give a big pull. By fast I mean 7 or 8 MPH.

I have to agree. Trolling Jerkbaits can be very effective. Thats why earlier I suggested a Reefhawg or Sledge. IF you get a hit trolling fast in the prop wash, HOLD ON.

Gee has no one here ever jerk trolled a Suick? Troll the Suicks fast hold the rod in your hands and every four or five seconds give a big pull. By fast I mean 7 or 8 MPH.

Yes! Only thing I can add to that, we like to drill holes in them and epoxy in some ball bearing to make them sink and be somewhat neutrally buoyant.