SK Report

holdfast

Well my Boat is still in dry dock because I'm waiting for a flywheel, but in the Mean time I decided to go camping and some canoe fishing. I decided to further explore the two lakes Dugout and Baxter. Baxter Lake is a little bit bigger than Dugout which made my decision to camp. The map at the store says it has both Pike and Pickerel while Dugout has just Pike. My Big River neighbor Rod, not the Indian Rodger, told me that he used to fish Dugout and it had Monster Pike as well as Pickerel as a friend of his had stocked it on his own with Pickerel. I figured that the Map was more accurate so I kind of brushed it off. After an hours drive through Logging country I finally made it to the lake. Again not a soul around. I would not hear or see anyone through out the two Day trip. The water was calm as glass, the Loons were sounding, and the sun was going down. I arrived around 8 PM and figured I better set up camp so I could fish.

P7250002.jpg

During the Week I decided to Buy the cheap 10 dollar tent that Canadian Tire was selling and I rehearsed setting it up. After two tries, I had it set up in two minutes. Perfect. As you can see the fly is for looks only. Damn Chinese will sell anything. But I wanted netting so I could tarp it but when I seen this tent I figured it was cheaper than a Bug net, took just as long to set up, but will definitely give me protection from the Mosquitoes. Eureka, a 10 dollar tent.

P7260011.jpg

As you can see, I improvised and put a tarp over it and used big nails through the grommets and now I have a water proof tent set up with no string and just spikes holding her down. A 3 minute setup in the dark.

P7260010.jpg

This week I decided that I would camp alone like I used to do before I moved to SK and bought a boat just two years ago. As you can see I brought my own wood, which will also save time for me to fish till dark. So everything was set up within 15 minutes. On with the Bug Juice as the Mosquitoes were trying to evacuate me

P7250001.jpg

I was ready to fish, I brought two Rods, one for trolling and one for Bait, frozen Minnows as there is a live Bait ban in Sk. After downing a beer otr two it was time to fish

P7250007.jpg

Of course my Buddy Red was with me who also loves the out doors. Unfortunately she has 3 legs in the grave as her choking is really bad. I have a feeling shes not going to last the summer

P7250008.jpg

I fished for about two hours and not even a Bite. First I trolled and then I tried some Bait fishing. Nothing. The only excitement was when I was Paddling a Mother Loon got separated from her single baby loon. Unfortunately my canoe was between them. The Mother was screaming and trying to stand on the water making a commotion to look bigger and more aggressive. I never seen or heard of a lone behave like that. Also I thought I heard a faint dog bark. Do wolves bark, maybe the young ones? Well it was getting dark so it was time to go back to camp and enjoy the fire, bubbly and tunes.

The next morning I packed her up and headed to Dugout. Wow I had a huge Pickerel that let go when I tried to put him in the Canoe. Rod was right there are huge Pickerel in this lake and nobody knows about it except some locals. Bonus. As you can see I'm still waiting to catch a monster Jack. But now I think I will be doing more alone camping like I used to do.

P7250009.jpg

P7260014.jpg

P7260013.jpg

P7260012.jpg