Going deep for lakers without downriggers

JoshS

I'm going to be fishing lake trout next week without riggers <_< . Does anyone do this with any success? The methods I'm considering are the three way rig with a 3 ounce bell sinker or dipsey divers. I've never used dipseys before and have never had success with the three way for lakers. What do you guys do when fishing summer lakers with no down riggers?

Guys in my boat use bottom bouncers and they seem to work pretty well for it. Then you don't need to deal with the mess of a three way swivel. Just remember to let it out ever so slowly to get it down there without twisting up. I'd also be using a braid, they tend to cut the water much better thus getting your lure down deeper. Just be suure to tie on a flouro leader.....

Edited by Chugger

You have to understand some things like thermoclines, oxygen levels,etc.

The shallower or suspended fish may be chasing baitfish. The bottom-huggers may be resting.

Look for deep humps,ledges & points. Keep at it & you'll figure it out.

Don't use too big of a baitfish. Sonar is your guide.

ive done what you are talking about im too cheap to buy dipseys and downriggers

the key is the speed you troll ive caught lakers 40ft down using 5oz pencil weights doing 2.2 mph

with a 3 way swivel running a spoon and a raplala just like they do on erie

try it and let me know what happens

ps dont be shy to experiment

Ya, I might buy the medium size dipsey and try it out, I know guys use them on Lake O effectively. I don't have a line counter reel however so I'll have to mark my line. I have a reel spooled with 30 lb braid which I will be using and one with 50 I will put in my gf's hands to try out some options, some stretch seems like a good thing so I will use a mono lead and adjust my drag. I'm pumped to catch some summer lake trout! never fished for them in the summer before so I'm hoping to experiment and learn a few things. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, and hopefully with some pics B)

Ya, I might buy the medium size dipsey and try it out, I know guys use them on Lake O effectively. I don't have a line counter reel however so I'll have to mark my line. I have a reel spooled with 30 lb braid which I will be using and one with 50 I will put in my gf's hands to try out some options, some stretch seems like a good thing so I will use a mono lead and adjust my drag. I'm pumped to catch some summer lake trout! never fished for them in the summer before so I'm hoping to experiment and learn a few things. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, and hopefully with some pics B)

Josh, I've been pretty successful this season for Lakers and I've gone back to old school basics using Leadcore line...(haven't used the downrigger yet this year).....use your sonar to locate bait balls and then try to get down to a depth where your bait/lure is just above....The other weekend I was letting out full 10 colours, plus I added a 1 1/2oz snap weight in order to get me down to the depth I was spotting bait at... :Gonefishing:

Your other option is to jig for them...I prefer using braid for this method because of the use of heavy jigs and you don't get the line stretch like you would with mono...get yourself a good size selection of jigs...Crippled Herrings work great...my preference is the nickel blue colour and weights sizes from 1 1/2oz right up to 5oz...The weight selection will depend on the wind conditions and how quick your boat is drifting...you want your line to go straight down from the side of your boat and not on an angle...this is where a line counter reel comes in handy too...

Good Luck!!

Steve

rippin lips with a hook set because of braid, What are lake trout fishin in 6ft of water,

LOL

Back a few years,I had a friend ask why I was getting so many on Simcoe,and he was getting nada.

I went out with him one day ,and he was using braid on his down riggers. I know he said without,but everytime he had a knock off,he lost the fish at the hit.

The rod would rip the lure right out of thier mouth.