GCD

Rich

Let me see if I can dig you up a pic Rich... may take a few minutes....

Ok, this is an illustration

Sabiki_rig.jpg

Only 4 hok rigs are legal in Ontario if you bait them.

I use a 1-2 oz. bottom bouncer or rattle weight instead of a pyramid sinker.

This is the actual size of the #6 light wire hook:

DSC01066.jpg

That tiny hook (or one just like it) has pulled in these and many more fish:

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

Fishin12-26-07002.jpg

Edited by Greencoachdog

Interesting. A little smaller hooks and I bet that would be a deadly Lake Erie perch rig! Thanks eh.

I caught this Perch on one at the BOQ last year:

November07BOQ009.jpg

Baited with live minnows:

fishin11-02-07011.jpg

... and fished straight down, dropshot style in about 20 fow... they're deadly!

You never know what you're going to pull up next when you're fishin' with one of those things.

GCD is it me or are those sme HUGE crappies!

Looks liek a decent set up you got going there. Do you always use live bait down there?

Cheers!

It's not just you, those are some 14 & 15" 2lb+ Crappies.

I fish with lures too, but I always use live bait on the Sabiki Rigs... it's just too dang hard for those fish to resist a small school of wounded minnows! ;)

This is the same rig used in PEI for mackerel and cod. Two flies are used, baited or not, and a BIG weight, somewhere around 3 oz. No handlines or cod jigs anymore. I don't think that they call it Sabiki tho.

This is the same rig used in PEI for mackerel and cod. Two flies are used, baited or not, and a BIG weight, somewhere around 3 oz. No handlines or cod jigs anymore. I don't think that they call it Sabiki tho.

Did they call it a Hayabusa rig douG?

They have a 2 hook rig inthe Hayabusa style (bottom of the list)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

I used to catch a ton of herring on these things. what a blast. For schooling fish, you have to resist pulling in on the first taker. Usually leaving it down for a while longer allows 3 or 4 fish to get on and then you're in for some weird fighting. like dogfish fights. Like somebody said, you cna't horse these in because the hooks and traces are usually very light compared to the main line..

4 baited, 6 unbaited

I went on the MNR website just to double check

Under Gear Restrictions this is what is written

A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached. A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that are part of a lure.

I think I will keep it at 4 and cut the other 2 off just to be safe

I went on the MNR website just to double check

Under Gear Restrictions this is what is written

A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached. A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that are part of a lure.

I think I will keep it at 4 and cut the other 2 off just to be safe

You're absolutely correct Cudz! That was my mistake on the 6 hooks.

I always use the rigs baited, so 4 hooks in Canada.

Before using the 6 hook rig in Canada, I clip off the 2 top hooks because about 90% of the fish are caught on the bottom 4 hooks when I fish a 6 hook rig here in Alabama.

As bly mentioned, Hammerhead Lures sells the 4 hook rigs locally up there, and Hayabusa brand also makes a 4 hook rig. These rigs are heavier and work well when the water is stained and/or the fish are actively feeding... but when the water is clear and/or the fish are finicky, the light Daiichi goes on the rod.

Interesting. A little smaller hooks and I bet that would be a deadly Lake Erie perch rig! Thanks eh.

Rich we use something real similar for the perch on Erie only we hand tie our own #4 or #6 hooks and bait with lake shiners, usually do three hooks max. When the perch are really on the feed we will catch a lot of doubles and even a triple occasionally

So do I Whopper, I've always tied the hooks direct on the line for added sensitivity and less chance of deep-hooked fish. Works great, but I like the dressings on those hooks. I think that would be great if there's a slight stain.

I've also experimented when drift fishing for perch by putting small colorado blades on pickerel rigs. Works great in rough water.