Kawartha Fishing, Camping, and a little Exploring

Hello everyone, my dad and I left Saturday morning early on our usually route of 401, 115, 28 up to the Falls. Before that we stopped at a few places like the causeway and ganons. Now I must say the causeway is very brutal to the ears and it takes away the calmness of fishing. I did not know it was this busy. I caught a few small bass though on a little spinner bait. We didn’t spend much time there and my dad ventured off to some quiet place, perhaps to meditate. He caught a pic of a truck with a deer head latched to the front of it.

IMG_2915.jpg

First fish.

IMG_2921.jpg

After trying ganons and catching a few rock bass and such we moved on to the falls. When night came I caught a decent one, things were looking much brighter.

IMG_2969.jpg

I ventured out alone while my dad was inside the tent. Boy was it a mistake to go out. I was lucky it wasn’t the mosquitoes that were annoying it was the moths! They were everywhere. Id put down my light and it would be swarmed with them. Hey least they don’t bite. I had enough of that so back I go to the tent and crash. During the middle of the night the rain really began coming down hard. The sound the rain made against the tent was like putting a tender piece of chicken breast in boiling oil.

We got up at 6ish, snoozed for about 45 mins. We got up and packed up the tent and I fished some more. I caught little pan fish and one nice perch though. We grew hungry, but at 8 30 there are no chip trucks open, so we had to battle our hunger for awhile. We decided to go up the Peterborough Petroglyphs to see the Indian carvings. OF course we respected the Indians for their spiritual reasons not to take pictures. However I caught this one just at the entrance.

IMG_2988.jpg

It’s really fascinating to see these carvings still intact and well protected after being found in the 50s. The carvings are between 6000-11,000 years old.

On our way back we found a nice little creek flowing ever so calmly. We stopped and went for a walk to find a nice pool that looked promising. I tossed my float and worm in the deepest part, at least 6 feet deep, surprisingly for a little creek, and bam i have a nice smallie on. Terrific battle and very gently landed.

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

This must be just for a laugh but we had to take a pic, I think my thumb is bigger than the little bugger.

IMG_2986.jpg

Stopped at Buckhorn and ordered two 12inch pizzas, yeah we were quite hungry and had left over for dinner!

We traveled to a town called Warsaw. The caves here were absolutely spectacular.

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

This is the entrance to the 2 degree cave.

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

The scenery was absolutely breathtaking. I could imagine myself in the lord of the rings movie. WOW

My first thought of these caves were they would be big and spacious, maybe like a spiral like design or something. Rather little holes where the pamphlet explains how to get in. it read " feet first, watch out for the rocky edge to your right, and carefully release yourself down the 2 feet drop," so on. I went through 3 caves and came out looking like I’ve worked on a farm all day. I was forced to crawl, go on my stomach and be very flexible to move along these caves, it was so much fun though :) One cave i enjoyed the most was 2 degrees all year. It was outstanding. Some other folks brought out a piece of ice.

Hope you enjoyed!

Looks like a good little vacation to me. Did the Warsaw Caves with my kids when they where small. I remember it was a very hot humid day. One little cave in particular was very cool...felt like an air conditioner was on. Could have stayed in there all day.

Thx for sharin. It brought back good memories of my own.