Bass Lake Report

Let's start off by saying this was the hardest lake i have ever fished before in my life. We did manage to get a fair amount of fish however I would of liked to have some bigger fish in the boat. Black Blade(Chris) is my friends dad and who i did 99% of my fishing with. As for lures we caught all of the bass on white tubes, with the exception of two.The off camera fish are as follows:

Chris-Largemouth Bass:1.7,1.10,1.6,1.2,1.0

Me-Smallmouth Bass:1.5

And the photos

1.15lbs

086.jpg

1.10lbs

115.jpg

2.4lbs (Biggest Smallmouth bass)

117.jpg

1.15lbs

120.jpg

2.6lbs (Biggest Largemouth Bass)

121.jpg

1.10lbs

123.jpg

1.8lbs

125.jpg

1.7lbs

127.jpg

1.3lbs

128.jpg

1.15lbs

145.jpg

And the last fish of the 2008 Bass lake trip is:

147.jpg

Here are some other photos of our trip-

097.jpg

167.jpg

165.jpg

182.jpg

Ok there is some more pictures. My only advice is to bring some tubes. As said white worked best however Chris had some hits on the darker tubes however did not land them. One morning he threw a white spinnerbait behind the boat and a 3+ SMB hit it but he could not set the hook. My hat goes off to Chris as he was always on the fish. I got skunked the first time out but right as we were about to go in for the night we pulled the boat up not to far from the launch and i kept on throwing my white tube and surely i caught my 1.15lb LMB and broke the boat jinx. There was never a dull moment in this trip and i will be sure to make some more reports as the summer goes on. :thumbsup_anim:

The final result for bass weight was-

Chris:12.3lbs

Mike: 13.8lbs

All together is 25.11lbs!!!

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Good show!Buddies of mine were there opening weekend and didn't encounter any in the usual weeded areas.They ended up with two, 1 largie and 1 smallie both caught in 20 ft plus outside the park.As of this past week things are heating up and the fish are moving into the usual haunts.Early mornings are best over by the woods.The earlier the better.The bugs are awful at night.Still some shadfly activity too.

Kerry

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. I hear that 90% of the fish are in a very small section of the lake. You just have to find it! Thanks for sharing.

Hey Mike hope you didn't forget about our little competition. Come on msn tonight and we will workout the rules post them and line the prizes up. Buddy some nice bass, going to have to do better though to beat me bud out fish by a 13 year old we will see soon enough! Great catches

L.A

It was a good time at Bass Lake PP, was a little disappointed that they no longer hold their Family Fishing Derby anymore tho. For the last 15 years the PP has held a fun little derby on the first Saturday of the Family Fishing Week. Over the years we have brought the kids to take part in it and it created some great memories. Only in the last few years have we had a boat to get out on the water, which certainly helped, since fishing from the docks at the park is pretty tough.

My son won the 'youngest participant' prize in the second annual derby in 1994. (little guy on the end with rod and trophy)

BassLakeDerby1994Small.jpg

As far as we could tell, the only place where we could get fish to bite was on the far side of the lake from the park and then only if we used white tube jigs...lol. I tried almost every other item in my tackle box, just to see and even my trusty wacky worm failed to entice any bites. The west end of the lake is quite shallow but when we got up there, we could find no cover or structure at all for the bass to hide in. We had some luck over a few deep weed clumps heading back to the north shoreline where the water depth drops off quite sharply. We swam our tube jigs over top of the submerged weeds along this north side. We manged to catch 2 fish most times we went out, but it wasn't fast action by any means. Nevertheless, it was a good time and from what we heard from others, we faired out alot better than most in our time there.

I talked to park staff and mentioned that if it were at all possible it would be in the park's interest to see about a stocking program for the lake or at the very least really encourage anglers in the park to catch and release.

The shaded area is where we had most of our action:

basslake1Small.jpg

Bass Lake is a nice enough PP and is sure worth a visit. It is a few minutes from stores for supplies. Fishing is ok, but having a boat is a must. You can rent a motor boat at the park but the cost is nutty...especially if you don't know where to go and waste valuable rental time searching around. (Anyone who wants a copy of my contour map of the lake can send me a PM and I'll send you one)

BTW: Congrats to Mike The Bass Fisher! He finally broke the boat jinx he had last year....and finally caught some, fishing from a boat....lol.

Black Blade,

Don't be too critical on the numbers,Bass lake will surprise you.Being a small spring fed lake with a cooler start to the season it takes a bit for it to heat up.There are some real decent bass in there but catch and release is important for the big guys.Theres always been big sunfish and crappies are showing up more and more.

Kerry