Mikwam flyin report

fishnsled

It’s about time I got down to it and did up this report.

The alarm went off bright and early on June 13th, 1:00am to be precise. A quick shower and I’m ready for the arrival of my ride. Ken shows up couple of minutes late do to some road construction but no big deal. We unload the van to reorganize my gear with his, the food and other essentials. We are loaded and look at each other and wonder were the other guys are going to put their gear?? :dunno: We head into Toronto to get the other 2 (Dan and Carson) that are joining us for the ride up. Good thing they were traveling somewhat light and with some shuffling around we got it all in.

The journey north was uneventful which is always nice. Some road construction was our only slow down. Saw a total of 3 deer and 3 moose, unfortunately one had an encounter with a vehicle and didn’t make it, I hope the person/persons in the vehicle were OK. We also saw a rather large group of sandhill cranes very close to the air base. No pics of the wildlife as it was too dark or most of us were sleeping, except for the driver – good thing! :D

We got to the base camp, checked in, weighed in and loaded up the planes. The first plane was off before the other 2 in our group arrived. A great start – no delay’s!

Couple of shots from Dan's camera as Carson and him take off.

Cochrane Air base.

basecamp.jpg

I believe this is a youth centre in Cochrane

HouseandTipee.jpg

Carson happy to be underway.

CarsoninFlight.jpg

Well almost. The Cessna turns back after a couple of minutes of travel and comes back to the base with the news of some poor weather in the horizon. We will be delayed for about 45 minutes. Dan and I grab out cameras and go back to see in the cranes are still around. I managed to get this shot, cool looking birds.

SandhillCranes.jpg

A tour into town and then back to the base where we see the Beaver loaded with the other guys getting shoved off the dock. We jump on the Cessna and we are on our way as well.

Takeoff1.jpg

Takeoff2.jpg

Takeoff3.jpg

Takeoff4.jpg

Pilot.jpg

These are from Dan's camera.

Riverfromsky.jpg

Riverfromskyv3.jpg

Riverfromskyv4.jpg

This is Floodwood lake where we were last year. (Upper middle of frame)

Floodwood.jpg

Coming up on Brailey (the smaller lake) and Mikwam (The long thin one).

BraileyandMikwam.jpg

Abouttoland1.jpg

AbouttolandonMikwam.jpg

Approachtocamp.jpg

2planesonMikwam.jpg

Beavercomingintocamp.jpg

Once at the cabin we unpacked our gear, got settle in and headed out for some fishing. A couple small pike and walleye were caught. Simon and Gerry spotted a moose but didn’t have the camera with them. After a couple of hours of fishing we came in for some dinner and then back out for an evening fish. A few more eater walleye and smallish pike were caught and upon looking at our watches we decide to call it a night. A 22 hour day was long enough for us.

A couple of shots from the day.

Carson with his first Pike.

FirstFishCarson.jpg

Dan with his.

DansPikeofTrip.jpg

Carson and his first walleye.

FirstWalleyeCarson.jpg

After a much needed sleep we grab a coffee and head out for some fishing. Few fish and we decide to go in for some grub. Apparently the others were quite hungry and went in earlier then Ken and I, made some breakfast and ate it ALL! Good thing we had a few fish for ourselves. While deciding our plans for the rest of the day, the weather made up its mind to keep up inside with a thunderstorm. Once the storm cleared we loaded up our boats and made the trek into the neighbouring Brailey Lake. Once on the trail lugging the gear and motors the skies opened up one more time without the thunder and lightening. We got the boats ready and started to troll some spoons hoping to find a few pike. Ken and I got a few nice ones pretty quickly.

Kenandpikebetter.jpg

Smallpike1Will.jpg

Smallpike2Will.jpg

We were talking about the size of the ones caught so far and were in disagreement on the weight, Ken guessing heavier then I. I said that the next fish we would both put out our guesstimates and then weigh the fish. I hooked into and boat one that I figured to be in the 5-6 pound range, Ken was 7-8lbs. I unhooked the fish and tossed the lure out of the boat. I was reaching for my scales when Ken yells “YOUR ROD!!!” I looked to see it bent over and thinking it had picked up some weeds as we had drifted in shallow. I grabbed the rod and pulled and it pulled back!

The fish to be weighed goes back in the lake as I fight the other of my own doubleheader?! :w00t: The fish makes a run and once I gained some ground we see it for the first time, big fish! We look at each other is disbelief as the fish goes for another run. We can’t believe this fish hit the lure with only 2-3ft of line off the end of the rod at the side of the boat. A couple more runs and as Ken steadies the cradle, I guide my new PB northern pike in. When I first saw her I figured high teens, low twenties but I guess a recently spawned out female that was pretty skinny. The length was 43 inches but only weighed in at 14.5 pounds. None the less a new PB for me. A couple pics and back into the water she goes to be caught another day.

WillandBIGpike.jpg

Onelastlift.jpg

A kick of the tail and she was gone.

Bigpikeswimaway.jpg

We fished a bit more, I don’t remember if we caught anything or not, and head back to camp with HUGE smile on my face.

While back at the cabin I showed off my fish pictures to the others. We have some dinner and then back out for an evening fish. I see a pattern developing here - eat, sleep, fish – not such a bad way to spend a few days.

As well as catching the biggest fish of the trip, I also got the smallest. Any ideas as to what it is?

SmallestFishofTrip.jpg

Not to many pics from Simon and Gerry but they were out there fishing.

SimonandJerry.jpg

Ken and I out battling the bugs.

KenandWill.jpg

MoonoverLake.jpg

Saturdaysunset.jpg

Saturdaysunset5.jpg

Saturdaysunset2.jpg

The next day starts off with a mug of java and some fishing, bet you were surprised by that. At breakfast the decision was to either go into Brailey again or head down the river into some new water. I think that Dan was happy to that we made the decision to go down the river. We packed our lunch and off we went. We jigged a few holes along the way without any luck and made our way into the next body of water Magiskan Lake.

Ken and I start to troll and I pick up a hammer handle. We head into a small bay and do some jigging and Ken picks up a couple small northerns. We decide to start working our way into the river and hear a lot of commotion coming from Dan and Carson’s boat. We head over to lend our assistance, measure and weight what would be Dan’s PB pike. A 33 incher weighing in at 10.5 pounds.

105lb33inPike.jpg

We worked our way up to the rapids catching a few more smallish pike. At the rapids we were trying to figure out if it was worth it to haul the boats up or not.

rapids.jpg

While the others got our and assessed the situation, I fished. I figured whatever they decided to do I’d be fine with that. The current and structure looked too good not to be throwing a line in. First cast – a swing and a miss. Next cast – fish on! After a bit of a battle I bring in this nice northern.

Pikeatrapidssplashing.jpg

Rapidwaterpike.jpg

In the meantime the decision was made that given the time of day we’d pass on moving the boats up the rapids. We had our lunch and went back to some fishing. Ken and I worked a near by bay as Carson and Dan worked the current.

Ken and I moving on to our next spot.

DrivingUpRiver.jpg

When Dan and Carson left, we made the move to see if we could get anything as they didn’t do so well. After a ½ hour or so Ken and I had enough for dinner and then some. We decide to start making our way back to camp and run into Carson and Dan. They are in complete disbelief of our catch as they had just left the same spot. We tell them our plan and they decided to head back themselves. Here are a few shots of the trip back to camp.

Riverscenery1.jpg

Riverscenery2.jpg

Riverscenery3.jpg

Riverscenery4moosestand.jpg

Riverscenery5.jpg

BackontoMikwam.jpg

Once back at camp, I get the fish all cleaned up and ready for the pan. I ended up doing Chronzy’s beer batter on them and it was voted best fish meal of the trip.

Before...

CatchOftheDay.jpg

During.....

CookingDinner.jpg

After.

Oilishot.jpg

After some grub it was back on the water for some fishing. I had Carson in my boat this evening and showed him a couple of tips and tricks and he proceeded to out fishing me. Unfortunately I had forgotten the camera so no pics this evening. All the fish were in the nice eater size 15-17 inches and made for a great evening. Carson, I’d share a boat with you any day.

The next morning we decide on Brailey lake for one last go as it is our last full day. We gather our gear and make the trek.

Goingtootherlake.jpg

The weather is cloudy, windy and a misty rain coming down. Dan and Carson are the first out on the water and proceed to start catching fish right away trolling Johnson Silver Minnows threw the weed beds.

CarsonFish.jpg

Gerry and Simon were out next and it wasn’t long before Gerry is into one. Ken and I are not far behind and are soon catching fish as well. Lots of action but nothing really big. After a few hours we head to shore for some lunch. We cooked up a few walleye sandwiches, baked beans with some potatoe salad on the side. A nice treat to warm up the insides on that damp day.

Back on the water and fishing and it wasn’t long before Ken’s got another on and release. Then it was my turn. A bigger fish that we guesstimated at 38 inches + or -. We guessed that because after unhooking the fish, Ken put the cradle back into the water as the fish was bleeding a bit and he didn’t want to stress it out anymore. Once back in the water it shot out the end of the cradle. It sat close to the surface and I made another attempt to net it but with the cradle under it as I lifted it up it shot out and swam away nice and strong. We trolled for a while and then decide to do a bit of jigging as we need a few fish for dinner that night. Boated a few walleyes quite quickly and headed back to camp with dinner in hand.

Here's a couple of the eyes the Dan and Carson got.

WalleyeDan.jpg

CarsonFishv3.jpg

Here's Dan with the biggest eye of the trip, it was released.

DanandWalleye.jpg

This being the last supper of the trip we did up some surf and turf. Some filet mignon and cedar planked walleye with a maple syrup, Jack Daniels reduction with a hint of cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit.

ThelastSupper.jpg

The gang. In front from left to right Dan, Ken and myself. In the back we have Carson, Gerry and Simon

GroupatDinner.jpg

After dinner it was clean up/packing time, a few games of euchre and off to bed.

The next morning we are up and packed and waiting for our 8am departure but the sky doesn’t look to good for flying. After a couple more games of cards and some food Ken and I decide to go out and get some dinner because we figure were not flying out. We venture to some new water and are both feeling a bit uneasy of being out of site of the camp and the lake. We start to make our back to camp when we see the Cessna taking off from the lake with Gerry and Simon. We noticed that Carson and Dan are still on shore with the rest of our gear and hopes are not lost for being left in for another day. Not that it would have been a bad thing in my opinion.

Once at the dock we find out the Beaver will be coming in about 20-30 minutes. The flights were backed up as they were not flying the previous day with the poor weather. We pack up our gear and awaited our plane. It wasn’t long before it landed with the next group, they unloaded, and we loaded up and were gone. A great flight back with Ken spotting 2 moose and I saw one bear and her cub as well as a BIG bear on his own. Should have had the camera with me. We pack up the van and are on are way around 4:30pm. A couple of coffee stops, a dinner stop, a moose and deer sighting and arrive in Toronto about 1am to drop off Dan and Carson. Ken and I get to my place around 2am completely burned out but happy to be home safe and sound.

Once again a totally AWESOME trip, with a great bunch of guys. I can’t wait till next year.

I've never had this before but I've been flagged for having too many pictures. See part 2 for more.

Edited by fishnsled

Excellent report! And you didn't have to muscle anyone out of their spots to catch all those fish! Thanks for sharing!

The only ones I had to muscle out of the spots were the mosquitos and black flies JB. LOL!! I guess I have Cliff to thank for my bad reputation now. :glare: Next time I'll have to let him catch a fish, maybe 2. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad you enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...