Semi new angler, need help getting started again.

Trax416

Hey.

Well, I am a semi new angler as the title reads. I used to fish with my grandad all the time as a kid. We mainly fished Ontario Lake, Simcoe, and smaller rivers. Since I lived in Toronto, I would fish Humber River by myself when I was bored. They were my best memories as a kid, but much of the actual technique and knowledge was lost on me, because I was just happy fishing with him. When I was 11 years old he passed away, and thats around the point I stopped fishing.

I know the basics of fishing, but much of the advance knowledge, like finding the fish, using specific lures ( I always used Live baits when I was younger), how to use a baitcaster etc.. I need to learn. Also, since I don't live by many lakes (outside of Lake Ontario) I don't know good spots to shore fish or good spots to find fish.

So basically I just need some help getting started again. I have a few questions for you guys, and if you can help me out that would be great. If not, sorry for wasting your time.

1. What gear am I going to need. I mainly want to go after Bass and Pike to start with. if you guys can name some specific reels and rods I could check out that would be good. Also what type of line?

2. What hardbaits do you guys prefer? Any specific ones? I have mainly been looking at Rapala and Hammerhead Lures, but not really sure which ones to pick up.

3. Do you have any suggestions on small, not over fished lakes around Toronto(willing to drive 1-2 hours) I could start with, before hitting places like Simcoe? Especially ones with good shore fishing, as I don't have a boat or know how to operate one lol.

I plan on picking up a boat eventually, but want to fish a bit first. I also want to figure out how to get a boating license and want to read up on all of the rules and regulations first. I also think I am going to need an outdoor card/fishing license if I am correct. The last thing I want to do is be one of these jerks who fish for certain species that are out of season, and cause accidents in the water by not using my boat properly.

Thanks for any help.

Hey welcome to the board. Hope I can offer some help. I like your story because I can relate to it. Here's what I can offer:

1) I myself am not that discerning when it comes to rods or reels, other than that I like spinning rods. Baitcasters are definitely a skill to master. Not there yet. For line I use braid, and always tie on a mono leader. If i can offer one thing it would be to learn some good knots and use them. Don't use leaders unless you have to (for Pike, Musky, etc) not just because you are too lazy to tie.

2) I really love Senkos for bassin, and an assortment of topwater lures like poppers, jitterbugs, etc. I am getting into Rapalas alot lately, and gravitate towards the more realistic looking colours in order to "Match the Hatch"

3) There are many good to great fishing oppurtunities within less than an hours depending on where exactly you are. Probably the Grand River watershed would be tops in the west side of the GTA. In the East, I would think the Kawarthas would be the best. Lots of places you can rent boats for the day or half day, or even shore fishing oppurtunities.

I would really recommend using the search feature on this forum to look for any areas you have scoped out that you are interested in. Generally I try not to overtly ask people for spots to fish, but if you search old posts, you can find some good spots by what people say.

Anyway, good luck and welcome again.

First off, welcome to the board! I was in your shoes two years ago. I fished as a kid, and then stopped when my dad's friend sold his cottage as that's where I fished.

Fast forward about 25 years and I picked up a rod again.

I started with a 6' 6" cheap medium combo from Canadian Tire and it caught me lots of fish. That rod is now retired and hanging on the wall in my basement. There is no need to break the bank...especially if you are not sure what you are looking for. I started cheap....got to know the feel and action at least one rod so I'd know how to compare when looking at mid range or expensive rods. Without doing that, I could have spent a bunch of money on an expensive rod that maybe I hated.

Anyhow, for bass and pike, I use a medium setup...spinning reel spooled with 30 pound power pro. Use a leader for pike.

There are lots of opportunities within the GTA to fish, and when I started out I found the information on this site a great starting point....

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...L02_165427.html

If you wanted to head to inland lakes, the Kawarthas are a great place, however shore spots are hard to find because of the number of cottages that seem to line the shores. I haven't found a good shore spot up there that would get me into bass....and there is no pike....but you could catch a musky at night. Many people will float fish with minnows for Walleye at night as well.

Good luck...and keep asking your questions....you've come to the right place!

Thanks for the links and information everyone.

I am planning a move up to the south end of simcoe in the near future, and i will probably be able to put a good 20k in the bank from it, so I will probably have a boat for next summer/fall.

I am going to go pick up some gear and attempt to get my outdoor license within the next few days. Then maybe go out and try some fishing in a couple weeks.

From everything i have been reading people seem to use the rapala x-rap for both bass and pike to great success. so among other tackle, I will get a couple of those to learn how to fish hardbait.

I was thinking of getting this combo of rod/reel in medium action 7 foot. Is this a good choice?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

That looks like a nice rod... you could probably get away with something cheaper if money is a concern. Abu Garcia has nice introductory set ups as well. Grab some standard spinner baits as well. they work great for both bass and pike. personally I like the double willow leaf blades on mine. good luck and welcome to the board.

Welcome back to fishing :D . As for your outdoors card/license, you can get that pretty much anywhere you buy your tackle...not sure about BPS though. I know Canadian Tire and most small bait/tackle stores sell them.

I noticed no one mentioned spinner baits or tubes for Bass, those are the ones I have the most success with, but am hoping to try top waters this year.

Good luck and welcome to OFC

Maureen

I was thinking of getting this combo of rod/reel in medium action 7 foot. Is this a good choice?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Good Choice !!

Agreed. That is my favorite spinning combo for the money. I'd go with a 6'6" rod instead of a 7' personally though. 6'6'' is definately the most widely used, and I find them easier to handle and work with for precision casting.

Good Choice !!

Agreed. That is my favorite spinning combo for the money. I'd go with a 6'6" rod instead of a 7' personally though. 6'6'' is definately the most widely used, and I find them easier to handle and work with for precision casting.

I also would go 6,6' as opposed to 7. might not be able to cast quite as far, but you get a lot more control.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will go for the 6'6 rod instead of 7. Though I might catch some pike, I will mainly be going after Bass. However I am sure a Pike will grab what I through out there eventually and want to have something that could get the job done if that happens.

Also, I am not just going to go for Hardbaits. I heard Senko's are very good if you texas rig them. So I think I might pick up a couple 10 packs of those.

Also what type of line do you suggest? I am thinking 12lb test, but I am not sure what brands have less memory then others.

Edited by BigD

Welcome to the board BigD and nice seein ya back to the sport.

As mentioned your rod and reel combo is a good choice.

For the line I would recommend 20pound test power pro ("PP"). This line a little to no stretch and is very durable. When spooling your reel with PP, first start with a monobacking, this will help against line twisting around the core of the reel itself. 20# PP has an equivalent diameter to 8# monofilliment. Use any Mono (I like the trilene or rapala stuff). Tie mono to the core of the reel and spool just enough for a good base.

Now the tricky part, hehe. Use a uni-to-uni knot to tie together the mono and braid together. Do a search on here and you may pull up some diagrams, or try google. Then simply spool the rest of your reel with the PP. You won't be disappointed.

Hard Baits

My personal favourite is the xrap. casts like a dream and has a nice wiggle to it. Very versatile. Ripplin redfins and shad raps are a good choice to own as well.

WARNING

It's easy to break the bank when at a tackle shop. lol. I know from expeience.

Best of luck this year and be sure to let us know how you do.

reefrunner

A medium action spinning rod should be fine for handling even large pike as long as you don't horse them. My biggest fish so far have been a pair of 36" and 37" muskies which I caught on the same medium light rod. As long as they aren't near a lot of heavy cover, just let them take line and tire themselves out. I mostly look to heavier rods for pike to let me cast larger lures.

I wouldn't go over 10 lb test if you are fishing with mono. My choice for a beginner would be 10 lb superline. I have used mostly Fireline for years, but there are a lot of good options, including Spiderwire and PowerPro.

Alright here is what I am going to pick up so far.

-The 6'6 medium Action rod/reel combo from Basspro.

- A Rapala X-Rap Shad

- Rapala X rap

- Bass Pro crankbait kit

- 2 packs of Senko's 5 inch

- 2 packs of Mustad Big Mouth 4/0 hooks

- 17 piece Spinnerbait kit by Strike King

- 10-12 pound mono line (not sure what brand as of yet).

- Tacklebox

(I have knives, pliers, net etc..)

Eventually I will pick up a fair amount of other stuff, but I think that should get me started for now.

Does anyone have any type of knots they recommend. I have been practicing the grinner knot.

If Pike are on your agenda and you are using mono line then, wire leaders are a must to add to your list.

You are doing well on your list...the only thing I'd change up is the line....I'd go at least 20 to 30lb power pro. Casting 10 or 12 lb mono line will be tough...especially for lighter lures.

Get basspro to spool your reel for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Also to keep in mind. Simple float, hook and worm (and splitshot) shouldn't be overlooked....it'll catch you all kinds of fish.

If Pike are on your agenda and you are using mono line then, wire leaders are a must to add to your list.

You are doing well on your list...the only thing I'd change up is the line....I'd go at least 20 to 30lb power pro. Casting 10 or 12 lb mono line will be tough...especially for lighter lures.

Get basspro to spool your reel for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Also to keep in mind. Simple float, hook and worm (and splitshot) shouldn't be overlooked....it'll catch you all kinds of fish.

Alright sounds good.

For my reel it says under "line rating" 4-12lb.

I figured that meant the maximum and minimum line I could use with it. Didn't know I could use 20lb.

As a relatively recent returnee myself, after a hiatus of about 50 years, let me humbly add a few observations:

1. Listen carefully to the folks who advise using braid. Get them to explain the advantages you get for the insignificant extra cost. I had it put on at the local shop from a bulk spool for $11 and with the amount I fish I'll probably change it out of boredom before it really needs to be changed.
  2. I think you've already addressed the issue of a decent rod for your specific applications pretty well
  3. Make a point of spending time with some knowledgeable fisherpersons. Not just avid fishers, but someone who has really thought about the process and made themselves informed. I learned more about baitcasting and bass/muskie fishing in a day on Garry2r's bassboat than in my own 2 years of fumbling and reading here, and from Bill Parker who spent a day showing me the basics of flycasting.
  4. Take advantage of the great resource we have here on OFC. If you don't already, read the equipment threads. They provide a load of insight and a wealth of experience. What I like is that the system seems to have it's own builtin Bull filter. The bad advice somehow gets highlighted, nicely, so you don't go galloping down the wrong road.
  5. And get out fishing with some of these OFC folks. It adds an entirely new dimension to the pleasure of it all, at least for me, and evidently for many others. Not only do you get some pretty good insider info, you have the fun of exploring new water with a guide, trying new gear, targeting new species with some experience at hand, trying new fishing styles (fly, baitcaster, wading, float, kayak, canoe, big lake trolling, floating platform, etc) without tying up a lot of money in something you might not even enjoy. The biggest bonus though is meeting new folks with a common interest, sometimes even forming lasting friendships. That doesn't mean every person you meet here has to become a near and dear friend, but it seems to me a man can never have too many friends.

Just my two cents worth of pontification

JF