Musky - New Personal Best

bje

Hi everyone,

Although I've only posted a few times over the years on OFC, this is one of my favourite fishing forums.

As a fellow Canuck (who recently moved to the Michigan), I thought I'd share with you all my new personal best Musky caught in the beautiful "Canadian waters" of Lake St Clair this past Sunday.

I hope you musky fans enjoy as much as I did. By the way, after a quick measure, weigh in, and picture, she was back in the livewell for some R&R before swimming off to get even bigger and stronger!

lores2_070608_51_inch_34lbs_4oz.JPG

Oh yeah - she was accurately measured in at 34 1/4 lbs and just a nudge over 51".

super fish!!! Are most of the St.Clair muskies spotted like that, or could it be a tiger? OR do they just get like that when they're massive? I wouldn't know yet... :whistling::clapping:

It's actually a purebred "great lakes strain" Muskellunge. I agree... the spots are much more pronounced than any great lakes muskies I've seen pictured from elsewhere (Gbay, Niagara River, St. Lawrence, etc).

Given that there is a very healthy(and naturally occuring) population of both Pike and Musky in LSC. believe it or not there is now a small natural population of Tiger Musky's (Hybrids) as well. I had the good fortune to catch a high 30 inch one last year trolling the US side of the lake for Musky. They have absolutely beautiful markings....light colour "tiger stripes" on a predominently dark coloured fish. They also have the rounded fins of a pike.

Nice big beast... good for you!

As an admin, I'm hoping you'll allow me to hijack my own thread:

I trust you've told the story behind that beautiful Northern in your avatar, however I'd love to hear it. Wow!!!

wow great muskie......... i had the pleasure of fishing lsc last fall and we went 7 for 12 biggest fish was 50" 31lbs What a great fishery!

congrats on the PB! good job..... oh yeah it wasnt me that got the 50" er :wallbash:

Edited by buckster

My Avatar!!! well its a long story. I was on Rainy Lake one day..... ill fill the rest in later!

:lol:

And it's quite the story!! Never get tired of hearing it...over and over and over and over again...

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Muskie!!! Congrats on the PB...that's a monster!!!!

Edited by ccmt

wow great muskie......... i had the pleasure of fishing lsc last fall and we went 7 for 12 biggest fish was 50" 31lbs What a great fishery!

congrats on the PB! good job..... oh yeah it wasnt me that got the 50" er :wallbash:

Those are fantastic results! Good for you guys.

super fish!!! Are most of the St.Clair muskies spotted like that, or could it be a tiger? OR do they just get like that when they're massive? I wouldn't know yet... :whistling::clapping:

that is the typical LSC musky as far as the markings go... they are typically spotted rather than striped as we are used to in the kawarthas here in ontario.

right on man!!! congrats on the PB, bet that got the blood pumpin :Gonefishing:

Thanks.

BTW - another cool avatar. 1971 was a great year for Jerry and the boys. Still my favourite live band of all time! I spent a few 4th of July's just across the Peace Bridge from you @ Rich Stadium!

Edited by bje