2lb 14 oz crappie --> need help quickly

Beats

That crappie is HUGE! hope its survives the night...here is a site that has a couple of tips that you may be able to implement tonight:

http://www.zeiners.com/tips/fishalive.html

There have to be a few more sites like this.

The stomach contents may need to be examined for it to be a record.

Contact the BassPro shop in Vaughn, they may want it for their aquarium if it's not too far from you.

Bass Pro would not be able to give him anything for it so why not let it go? I don't think its legal.

If it is an official record I think I read something about them freezing the fish and giving the champ a free replica. I am sure this info is in one of those links someone else gave.

forrest

So it says to either take it to the MNR or OFAH office. Anyone know where one would be close to London??

Also, where do I get this thing weighed? Am I just supposed to walk into a post office and have them weigh the fish and also get its girth and length?

One other thing, since its been so long the fish isn't likely to survive. Its in a garbage can and I have no way to aerate it. Can't get it weighed until the morning so I guess I just let the fish be, and if it dies leave it in the water until the time of weighing? I wish I had a 2nd set of scales to verify that my weighing is correct. I have Berkely boga-like grips with a digital scale on it. I am just afraid that I am either getting a false reading or that the fish will somehow lose weight before I can get it weighed.

Edited by Beats

So it says to either take it to the MNR or OFAH office. Anyone know where one would be close to London??

Also, where do I get this thing weighed? Am I just supposed to walk into a post office and have them weigh the fish and also get its girth and length?

You can get it weighed at a grocery store (meat dept). Any place that has scales certified for sale by weight.

One other thing, since its been so long the fish isn't likely to survive. Its in a garbage can and I have no way to aerate it. Can't get it weighed until the morning so I guess I just let the fish be, and if it dies leave it in the water until the time of weighing? I wish I had a 2nd set of scales to verify that my weighing is correct. I have Berkely boga-like grips with a digital scale on it. I am just afraid that I am either getting a false reading or that the fish will somehow lose weight before I can get it weighed.

Freeze the fish immediately if it dies, wrap it up good!

Your weight is 2 and just a smidge over 5/8 of an oz. better than the current record, if your scales are correct... but I wouldn't count on it. The fish may actually be heavier... or lighter.

So it can be weighed at at a grocery store or post office, but does the person doing the weighing need to sign something? Do they need to be the one to take measurements? If the fish did indeed weigh enough I am guessing that it would be enough to just get the weight and then drive it to an MNR office and they could do the rest. (?)

yep..right down the serial # of the scales you weighed it on.

Maybe call the police, they could get a Conservation officer to witness the weigh-in!! This is too cool!!

Edited by danbo

No matter what that is a Canadian record white crappie!

Like others said get it weighed on 'official' certified scales, witnessed and the weighing photographed.

The sooner the better as they shrink in captivity or when dead.

Awesome and congrats! :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

ehg

Edited by ehg

Well the fish is pretty much dead now. I tried calling Sobeys 24/7 and A&P 24/7 stores but they both said that I would have to call back in the morning and talk to the dept managers etc. I can't blame them, its a pretty weird phone call to answer. Can't think of any post offices open right now either. I'll just leave it in teh garbage can over night. I just hope that after all this my scales were vastly off or the fish somehow loses weight. All I can do is wait for morning and go and see. Either way it turns out its a massive fish.

:thumbsup_anim:

Congrats Beats---nice fish dude--think it is white myself

would concur with Greencoachdog--give Bass Pro Shops Vaughn a call in the morning--George Wallace--1-905-761-4000 as a potential tank specimen and get that puppy on any certified scale at your earliest

did not know about the stomach content analysis requirement--that's why i joined this Community---learn lots

Enjoy the Excitement!

Maybe wrap the fish in a big ziplock & freeze it if its belly-up now.

Ya, im not really sure how to keep it at its best. I am hoping to get it weighed early morning and don't want to wait around for it to thaw out. I just weighed it again at 2lb 13 oz, but again, my scales are kinda "iffy" and I am kinda worried about it losing weight over night. I was thinking of adding ice to the water. I don't know, this whole deal is really stressful. I just hope my scale doesnt say 2lb 14 oz and then I get it weighed in at less. While my fish seems to beat the current record, it really isn't far off. I am afraid that it will somehow lose weight over night. I can't think of any where that is open to get it weighed or else I would be there.

Edited by Beats

im pulling for ya, sure hope its a record for ya. keep us updated as to what happens. would be good information for everyone on the board as to what you must do if it ever happens to anyone else. Great job, and great fish of a lifetime.

jason

First of all, congratulations, what a slab.

Second, I just went through this with my carp in January.

Download the OFAH form and print it. Take it to the post office or local meat dept. of a butcher.

Weigh it and then have them put the scale serial number etc. on the form.

It doesn't matter if it is dead or alive and it doesn't matter if it is fresh or frozen, it weighs the same.

Good luck.

Joey

First of all, congratulations, what a slab.

Second, I just went through this with my carp in January.

Download the OFAH form and print it. Take it to the post office or local meat dept. of a butcher.

Weigh it and then have them put the scale serial number etc. on the form.

It doesn't matter if it is dead or alive and it doesn't matter if it is fresh or frozen, it weighs the same.

Good luck.

Joey

Oh really? I actually remembered that carp when I was thinking of what to do. I had no idea that the weight wouldn't be thrown off by freezing it. I certainly didn't think someone would weight it frozen. My concern was freezing it and then thawing it and having the fish somehow lose weight. Perhaps I will freeze the fish tonight then. Did you freeze the fish in water or just in an empty freezer bag? If they will weigh it frozen then that is even better.

Well, because of its size, it was actually in a garbage bag :lol:

OFAH was the ones who told me it would weigh the same frozen, and doggonit, they were right. I weighed it that night before it was frozen, then we left it outside (it was January remember and it would not fit in the freezer), then I took it to the post office frozen and it weighed exactly the same.

The post office tried to give me a hard time. They thought they had to sign verifying that they had witnessed me catch the fish. I politely had to point out all they had to witness was the weighing of the fish. I had to ask for the manager tho.

Good luck.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Joey