Boat Capacities? AN answer from Canadian Coast Guard.

jedimaster

Hey folks. I was just wondering if there is a fine or if its illegal to have more than the seating capacity in a boat? EG My bass boat has plenty of room to add a bench seat that would allow for 5 people to sit in but the boat has a capacity rating of 3 people. Other hulls of the exact ame design but a different seating option have a capacaity of 5(a fish n ski model)

Is it actually illegal? Can be charged?

Just curious.

See my last post for the answer in detail but in short its legal to seat more than the ammount listed on the capacity plate.

Edited by jedimaster

You can be charged if number of people onboard is over the plates capacity. If the manufacturer built hulls with different seating configurations email them for a plate...a case could be made that manufacturer approved your 'mod' by issuing the new plate so they may not want to become involved.

There may have been less flotation foam put in the hull getting less seats. Is the weight capacity the same on hulls with less seats-if so your fine just adding the bench.

Custom Marine Labels web site is down, they would make you a label with the increased capacity. Many boats don't come with a metal plate, just cap plastic labels like they make. Must be other companies doing stick on label-be sure on flotation foam etc if you just order a label.

I would be more concerned with the safety issue than getting charged/ticketed. When you say "seating capacity", does that mean the number of seats there are? or does it actually have anything to do with the weight capacity of the boat? I'd think as long as you're under the weight cap., you would have no problem.

If an accident was going to happen and (heaven forbids) you kill somebody, don't expect the insurrance company to bail you out. As they will find out after there investigation that you went over the maximum allowed and they will not pay. same thi g as having a motor that exceeds the max for the boat. i don't think that you can be fined but don't give the insurrance a reason to cancel your coverage.

my "sticker" located next to the throttle says. "Maximum 9 persons, OR 1250 lbs" so i would think its an either or , Kinda like a car warranty, 3 years or 30,000 miles.......whichever comes first, in which case you should find out the max weight allowed for the hull and be more concerned with that. The number of people allowed i would think is just saying, theres a safe seat for this many people. DUnno if your allowed to adjust that legally, this is a tough call, like someone else said........youd probably get boned if an insurance claim ever arose

I would be more concerned with the safety issue than getting charged/ticketed. When you say "seating capacity", does that mean the number of seats there are? or does it actually have anything to do with the weight capacity of the boat? I'd think as long as you're under the weight cap., you would have no problem.

No, the lesser restriction applies. You can't put 7 people in a boat if 5 is the capacity even if some are kids/small adults and you are only half the weight capacity. My boat is exactly like that, it has seating for 7 with grab handles but plate restriction is 5 persons. Even after gear/motor is accounted for the boat can take 1,000 pounds....but I can't legally take 6 kids weighing 50 pounds each for a ride at the cottage.

OPP told me the seats just give people onboard options where to sit, not every seat should be filled. You can be ticketed, even though you have seats and are underweight. Get the new plate if installing legal seats increasing capacity.

No, the lesser restriction applies. You can't put 7 people in a boat if 5 is the capacity even if some are kids/small adults and you are only half the weight capacity. My boat is exactly like that, it has seating for 7 with grab handles but plate restriction is 5 persons. Even after gear/motor is accounted for the boat can take 1,000 pounds....but I can't legally take 6 kids weighing 50 pounds each for a ride at the cottage.

OPP told me the seats just give people onboard options where to sit, not every seat should be filled. You can be ticketed, even though you have seats and are underweight. Get the new plate if installing legal seats increasing capacity.

Good to know that, thanks.

In this case the weight capacity for both boats is the same(the bass boat version and the FS version) Just the bass boat version comes with a single pedistal seat and the FS version comes with a bench seat. Obviously safety is number one, but there is no sense in me selling the boat if its perfectly safe, just missing seats.

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the Coast Guard. The Max Occupant number on the capacity plate is only a recomendation. There are NO laws in Ontario or in Canada that restrict how many people you seat in your boat nor how much weight you carry irregardless of the capactiy plate. It is only recomended by the manufacturer.

She said its also completely legal to modify your boat to hold more people. In my case have a removable bench seat in the back.

Below is the link she told me to check where it states it is a recomended number. Section 2.3.3.3.1 a

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/TP1332...ommend-max-safe

Aside from the fact that it's imprudent and very foolish to try to surpass recommended people/gross weight limits, it should also be noted that should a catastrophe occur you can kiss any insurance claims goodbye.

Just my opinion.

To Add. I just got off the phone with the OPP from the 800 number on the website and the seargent I talked to said that they don't go by the capacity plate for the number of occupants. He said as long as you have all the safety gear and life jackets your fine. He said "Having 1 adult and 4 kids in the boat is obviously different than having 5 big adults" He said that sometimes at the discretion of the officer if the boat looks unsafe they will refer to the weight capacity of the boat in reference to the number of people but not at the actual number of people refered to on the plate.

They are not after people with 6 people in a boat with 6 seats where the seating capaity plate may recomend 5. They are after people with 10 people in a 12 foot tin boat.

He told me to just add the bench seat and not worry about it.

Aside from the fact that it's imprudent and very foolish to try to surpass recommended people/gross weight limits, it should also be noted that should a catastrophe occur you can kiss any insurance claims goodbye.

Just my opinion.

Again I think your missing what I am talking about here. I will repeat it in case you missed it.

My boat hull came in two seating configurations from the factory. one with a rear bench and one with a rear pedistil. I want to put in a rear bench. We are not talking about cramming 20 people in a 14 foot legend.

If the OPP and the Canadian Coast Guard do not see any safety or legal concern with this instance, than I don't see if being foolish nor imprudent. Obviously going over the max HP rating, or over the weight rating could be dangerous, but seating extra people in seats that were available from the factory is not the same concern.

Sorry there Jedi. I got ahead of myself and should have stated my position a little more clearly. I think I understand what your situation is and there's nothing wrong with what you want to do.

What was going through my mind as I read the answers you received from the CCG is that people will read it and say " Wow! It must be true cause I read it on the interwebs! Let's laod the boat up boys!" There are all kinds of people out there.

I personally feel uncomfortable with every extra person I have in my vessel. It's just a question of responsibility....my problem I guess.

Be safe out there.

With anything and boating especially common sense shoudl prevail above and beyond what the legal legislation is. I can see lots of people taking anything to extremes. Obviously you need to use some some brain power at some point and think about it. :)

When the water is an inch below the transom you probably have too much in your boat.

With 12 deaths on the water in Ontario this year its a good idea to air on the safe side whitch is why I have been trying to research my instance.

Well, I stand corrected. Sorry I passed along what I was told by the OPP. Officier seemed knowledgable-told me of expiry date on life jackets etc. The word "recomended" never came up talking about capacity plates, it was the lesser of weight or persons restricted how many could be onboard. Think I'll print the link when I can open it-might be useful to have onboard.

I wouldn't dream of overloading, or driving fast with kids in bow seats but will make use of the info you posted-thanks :clapping: We often have our kids/cousins together, I won't have to leave one kid behind when going fishing, can pile them all in for those leisurly evening rides that make the moms happy (they stay onshore <_< )

Thanks Jedi, I was going to comment on this earlier, but got busy.

My boat has a 4 person 1200lb plate, but the next year the same model etc had a 5 person plate with more weight. I asked the dealer and they said when they submitted it too the coast guard thats what they put??

When I take kids out, I insist that a parent comes with the small kids as I am the captin resposible for the operation it's hard to watch the kids and drive etc.

2 parents and +me and 2 kids puts me over my "limit" but the boat is more than safe.

Never overload, boat safety comes first.