Kayak fishing the Grand river

jediangler

Walleyeguy, my cousin from Alberta, was in Toronto on business and wanted to do some Ontario fishing. I decided we should fish the Grand river right here at home in Kitchener. We made the call to the local canoe and kayak outfitter and rented 3 kayaks for the trip from Breslau to Freeport.

http://www.canoeingthegrand.ca

One for my cousin, one for my brother Joonmoon and one for me. The cost per kayak was $35 for that stretch of the river. The Shipper met us at the Victoria st. bridge with his little Sportspal equipped with electric trolling motor. He doesn't like to paddle <_< .

3yakkers.jpg

I had a good laugh when I saw the rentals, they were the same yak that I already own. Notice how my paddle matches so well.

We just barely passed under the RR bridge when Walleyeman gets a fish and then Joonmoon gets one. Then Joonmoon gets one worth a pic.

joonsm.jpg

This trip is 10km long and takes 2 hours if you paddle. We took nearly 4.5 hours because we fished and were in no hurry.

walguy.jpg

Walleyeguy caught the next fish that was worthy of a pic. I caught a couple of little ones but nothing to write home about. The Shipper was getting a little nervous as he had yet to get a fish. He started to blame Joonmoon, who had thrown a BANANA into his Sportspal earlier in the journey.

shipsm.jpg

Finally the Shipper gets one and it's the fish of the day. A lovely 18" Grand river smallie. When we arrived at Freeport we just pulled the yaks up on shore and helped the Shipper get his Sportspal on the roof of my car. When I got home there was a message from the outfitter saying someone had left their tackle box behind. Sure enough it was mine. He kept it at the front desk with my name on it and I picked it up later. As far as growing the sport I think the boys liked the freedom of kayak fishing but comfort was a problem. Joonmoon is 6'4" and Walleyeguy is at least 6'2" so they didn't fit as well in a 9'6" kayak as I do being 5'11". If they got into a 12-14' kayak they would have room to stretch out and change position a little. This is a great way to see if kayakfishing is for you and compared to buying one it's pretty cheap.

Guest Johnny Bass

Looks like a nice day out on the river. Nice markings on that smallie. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Yup had a blast, the banana ended up being a good luck charm for the Shipper not an evil omen...lol. I disbelieve the stories of bananas being bad luck in a boat cause I eat them while fishing alot for an energy boost. I have yet to get skunked or had anything but awesome fishing. No complaints as far as the yak goes just like Jedi said tho a longer yak would suit me better. Gotta luv the Grand. B)

Nice stuff. I've been looking over yaks fora while now with the Grand being one of the big reasons for it. I was just hoping to see one of the models I want on sale and then of course my car goes and starts rattling like mad this weekend - afraid the kayak fund is gonna take a hit :(

I'm gonna be out doing the same thing in the same place tonight Jedi.

nice pics BTW!

Hoping for more of those 18"ers to make a report on!

also, for premium rigged fishing kayaks to use on the grand, NAC .

Edited by nomad

Walleyeguy, my cousin from Alberta, was in Toronto on business and wanted to do some Ontario fishing. I decided we should fish the Grand river right here at home in Kitchener. We made the call to the local canoe and kayak outfitter and rented 3 kayaks for the trip from Breslau to Freeport.

Jedi,

I was wondering if you could tell me if there is a take-out near the College/Blair road?

We didn't get out last night but are going to try tonight.

Thanks

Well F&N, we were throwing jig & grub combos, white was the most productive.

Nomad there is a nice park with launch and parking just past the 401. Go over the 401 on HomerWatson and then go over the river. The park entrance is on your right shortly after the bridge over the river. It's called Moyer's Blair landing. Where were you going to put in? I'm on 3-11 shift tonight or I would join you.

Edited by jediangler

Where were you going to put in? I'm on 3-11 shift tonight or I would join you.

We ended up putting in at Freeport and fished between there and the weir. We caught a few dozen fish under 14" but not too much with any size. When the sun went off the water the fish became quite acrobatic!! It was a real nice night for a paddle, too bad rowing club thought so as well.

The water was fairly dirty and gold spinners were the real trick to getting them last night. Caught a few on Senkos and bungee worms as well.

I think the stretch you fellas ran would have been better.

We're gonna do a run from Victoria St to Paris in the near future if you're interested? or something to that affect.

With the price of gas, I'll be doing a whole lot more local fishing in the near future!

Edited by nomad