Opening Day

danbouck

Late Friday afternoon we decided to go down and stay over on the boat in Port Rowan. The plan was to catch a few perch that evening, cook them up for dinner, then get up very early to start bass fishing.

The plan started out alright as we got a few perch then met up with my dad in Port Rowan and had a little fish fry on the boat. I was hoping that the thunderstorms would hold off but I knew it wasn't going to happen. The stand up top for the new boat was going through a very tough test that night and it passed with flying colours. We didn't get a bit of rain on us sleeping on the boat. The lightning was very cool to watch from the boat.

Saturday morning we didn't get out as early as I wanted due to the storm but the bay was very calm so I was still happy. We went out to our first spot and weren't getting anything so after about 30 minutes I decided to head over towards a shallow area with lots of weeds. First cast out and it was my first smallie of the year. We caught about 15 bass, 10 WGSF and 1 pike there in the next 45 minutes. We decided to keep 6 rock bass and have a little breakfast fish fry on the boat. So we went off seaching for some calm water, which was nearly impossible to find in the area we were at. But we finally found some and had a perfect breakfast of pancake battered rockies. We decided to call it an early day and go clean some fish at the cottage and check the weigh in for the derby.

Does any one know what the final weights were?

This is the only pic we took since the water was a little rough and I didn't want to lose the camera. Other than the breakfast rockies this is all we kept for a nice dinner.

DSCF0468.jpg

Hope everybody enjoyed their opener. Judging by the reports it looks like everybody did.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report. Thats a nice Pike. Seems there is a good population of Largies and Pike in LPB. Have to give Erie a shot one of these days! Thanks for sharing.

Nice work. How'd the largies taste? I haven't kept any for a couple years. Last I kept from the bay were very muddy tasting. I kept a couple this opener was well, just 1 pounders. They're in the freezer. I don't like to keep the big ones to try and keep good genetics in the bay. I've noticed in the last 10 years the winning weights have gone WAY down. Used to be 6 - 7 lbs was the winning largie. I have a feeling people keeping bigger genetic fish is one of the reasons for this. Glad to see you weren't keeping any monsters either. I hope others will follow suit so we can get some real beasts out there again.

Nice work. How'd the largies taste? I haven't kept any for a couple years. Last I kept from the bay were very muddy tasting. I kept a couple this opener was well, just 1 pounders. They're in the freezer. I don't like to keep the big ones to try and keep good genetics in the bay. I've noticed in the last 10 years the winning weights have gone WAY down. Used to be 6 - 7 lbs was the winning largie. I have a feeling people keeping bigger genetic fish is one of the reasons for this. Glad to see you weren't keeping any monsters either. I hope others will follow suit so we can get some real beasts out there again.

Because we kept the smaller ones they tasted good. I know what you mean about the muddy taste, any one over 2 lbs out of the bay seems to have that.

I do notice a lot of guys out there keeping whatever they catch and you are right the sizing are going way down. Let's hope the bigguns are just getting better at hiding! I'm hoping to get back down in a couple weeks for some calm water bassin'