Looking for pike

blarg

So, i've been out a few times in the past week for pike, ive had zero luck. I've fished rocky shorlines with 8-10 feet of water near shore, submerged weed beds, weedy shorelines and haven't seen a single fish, other than the oos smallmouth on huge spinner baits and raps. I've only ever caught northerns in Great Slave lake, i've spent six hours with a follow or a strike virtually every cast on that lake, so i guess i was spoiled up there (why did i leave again?) the fishing was pretty ridiculous. In any case ive been pretty disappointed to not even see a pike. I was in callander bay a few days back fishing the weedy shorelines but nothing.

Are the fish out in deeper water by now? Is there any specific techniques or lures i should be trying? Help!

Not sure if this helps or not..

I was on Nipissing last week (South Shores) west of Callander. and caught tons of hammer handles.. both on spinners (Rockstar Lures), Husky Jerks HJ-10 and HJ-12 Black and silver finish. as well as XRaps..

I was in between 6-16 feet above weed patches, casting towards shore..

G

Having just got back from the West Arm where everyone was catching pike, I can tell you to downsize your lures right now. The big pike came on small cranks and Mepps spinner. Smaller baits are working now. I wouldn't work the weedy shorelines. Look for open weedbeds and troll or cast those. Good luck.

I never target pike anymore but if I was looking to catch bigger ones I'd fish for walleyes cause they're usually (pike) nearby lookin for a snack---I'm finding if the eyes are dropped off a piece of structure the gators are usually on top or very close to it

Aplumma and I were fishing for pike on the West Arm last Friday and I hooked a little 24" snot rocket on a red/white Rap, but he got all 3 trebles in himself plus he was wrapped up in the line like a calf at a rodeo.

I was trying to get him untangled and the little in-grate drove a hook into my thumb deep enuff that I thought the barb would come outta my wrist on the other side :w00t:

It was a quick decision........either a drive all the way into the Doc's office in Sturgeon Falls or a 1/2 second of agony as I ripped it out with the pliers............DANG that hurt !!!! :stretcher:

Jeeeeeez I hate those little snot rockets :lol:

Aplumma and I were fishing for pike on the West Arm last Friday and I hooked a little 24" snot rocket on a red/white Rap, but he got all 3 trebles in himself plus he was wrapped up in the line like a calf at a rodeo.

I was trying to get him untangled and the little in-grate drove a hook into my thumb deep enuff that I thought the barb would come outta my wrist on the other side :w00t:

It was a quick decision........either a drive all the way into the Doc's office in Sturgeon Falls or a 1/2 second of agony as I ripped it out with the pliers............DANG that hurt !!!! :stretcher:

Jeeeeeez I hate those little snot rockets :lol:

That makes my :asshat: -hole pucker :blink: just thinkin' aboot it Lew!!! :wallbash:

Guest Johnny Bass

Cant catch a pike in Nipissing?? :blink: I'm not sure what you are doing wrong....That place is infested with pike. And they will hit any lure you throw at them....Are you fishing from shore or a boat???

Guest Johnny Bass
well yea, that was my expectations as well, but still ive been shut out, and im fishing from a boat. As far as lure sizes, if a 2-3 pound smallmouth doesn't have a problem with it i can't imagine a pike would.

Crazy. Are you fishing Callander or the main lake? In Callander just keep covering weedy shorelines in 6-12 feet! The north east shore is extremely productive. Since it receives the least amount of pressure. Just look for the canes on the shore lines and fish around it and to the right of it. Looking forward to your report.

I have fished the south shores of Nipissing at least twice a year for the last 6 years, and have caught several pike in the 10+ lbs range. Every one of these fish have come on undersized lures. I lost a big pike on a 4" senko, have had several follows with a smaller sized mepps musky killer (including a musky), but my lure of choice would have to be a lipless crankbait, which has accounted for all of my big fish on Nipissing. The most important factor when selecting one of these lures is to make sure it has the loudest rattle possible and a very shiny, flashy finish. For colours, I have found gold, and silver/blue to be the most productive in the Rat-L-Trap, and Cotton Cordell versions of the bait.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

well thanks for all the reply's so far, another quick question, i want to try callander bay again and i was wondering if anyone has used the marina in callander to launch from, is there a charge to use it and is it a hard surface or sand/gravel, i tow with a mini van and worry about gettting stuck. I made the trip from north bay last week, the wind was a beeech on the way back.

Guest Johnny Bass
well thanks for all the reply's so far, another quick question, i want to try callander bay again and i was wondering if anyone has used the marina in callander to launch from, is there a charge to use it and is it a hard surface or sand/gravel, i tow with a mini van and worry about gettting stuck. I made the trip from north bay last week, the wind was a beeech on the way back.

Have never launched there but the launch looks great and last time I checked it was $5, but that was a while ago.

Eh! The north west part of the lake is best for Pike .... like Cache Bay .....Collins Bay....and 80% of the West Arm....tons of launches.

I was in a Tourney on Cache Bay last weekend [ that's why I was a no show @ Lakair]

we caught 45+ fish .. average 25".. mostly on spinnerbaits... or light spoons like a williams...

Orange & white seemed to work best...

Good Luck...... but you shouldn't need it for Pike on Nipissing

:Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

Randy from Sturgeon.

Well, went back out to callander this evening, was a very nice night, didnt stay too late we were off the lake by about 0730. Started out fishing along the weed edges. got a couple strikes, small stuff. Then a bit later moved out about 50-100 yds and fished some submerged weeds in 6-8 feet of water, caught a couple small ones and had a couple more strikes in a half hour or so, so that seemed to be an improvement. We couldn't stay any longer but it gave me some hope for next time, all small fish tho, nothing over 20ins. Had hits on spinner baits, top water lures, and minnow spoons, none seemed better than the other.

My 11 yr old told me how much he liked it tho, getting to see the strikes, fishing with top water lures etc, so that was good to hear, fun night overall.

blarg, drive down to Nosbonsing. it is not far and the Astorville end has a great boat launch. Head out to the main lake, through the narrows and fish the shoreline to your right as you get into the main lake. There is also railroad bay, which is a little further up the lake, but worth the trip with an 11 year old on board. Throw spinner baits or rattlin' raps, and you will catch a ton of northerns in this lake.

am in north bay now. fished the south bay tonight and got into 5 or 6 small pike. Went out to about 25 ft of water looking for walleye. oouldnt find any other then one small one, went back and caught 2 more pike very small. Missed one decent sized one.

It was a beautiful night! No wind, wish tommorow will be the same for bass!!!

Cheers!

Guest Johnny Bass
Well, went back out to callander this evening, was a very nice night, didnt stay too late we were off the lake by about 0730. Started out fishing along the weed edges. got a couple strikes, small stuff. Then a bit later moved out about 50-100 yds and fished some submerged weeds in 6-8 feet of water, caught a couple small ones and had a couple more strikes in a half hour or so, so that seemed to be an improvement. We couldn't stay any longer but it gave me some hope for next time, all small fish tho, nothing over 20ins. Had hits on spinner baits, top water lures, and minnow spoons, none seemed better than the other.

My 11 yr old told me how much he liked it tho, getting to see the strikes, fishing with top water lures etc, so that was good to hear, fun night overall.

Good to hear you found a few. Try a little deeper for the larger fish.