Vechicle Question Nf

Whopper

I was just trying make the point that no tooling was carried over between platforms (tracker to equinox)

Using you analogy we went from pigs to cows.

Oh, .... well I just bought one of thouse pigs, and it rides fine !!!! :thumbsup_anim:

2000 Chev Tracker, love it!!

Oh don't get me started.

It galls me when I see the TV commercials, showcasing the features like MP3 players, and satellite navigation.

Who cares!

Why don't they advertise that the new line up comes with indestructable (under normal conditions) transmissions, engines, water pumps, alternators, starters, etc, etc.

Would'nt that be nice.

Ford was the 1st to automate car production. They should be able to make the worlds' best cars. They make nice looking vehicles, but they are disposable after about 60, 000 km. My last Ford Taurus (2000) burnt the tranny after 18,000 kms!!

The Toyotas and Hondas look (used to anyway) very plain jane looking, but last practically forever.

You can pay now.......................or pay later.

A co-worker of mine has just put the third trany in his Honda, just over 90 000 km's. He bought a honda for the quality, now thinks it's a joke, .. or a lemon.

Went to pick up an air filter ... $35 !!!!! omg, I guess that's the suzuki in it.... much more that the $7 one for my 350 chev.

Any one know of a cheaper air filter for a 2000 Chev Tracker 4 door, with 4x4, and A/C 2.0L? One that will do as good as job but cheaper?

I've been a Ford guy since 1966, but that is about to change. I've owned several Ford sedans, a couple of F150s and currently own two SUVs (1991 and 2002). The reliability after a few years is terrible. I bought out the 2002 Explorer lease thinking it was great and even bought the best extended warranty for it. In the past year and half, it has been in 5 times for transmission repairs, two drive shafts and still there is rear end noise. Just two weeks ago the small tailgate split in two. That cost me $350 as it is not covered. I have written to Ford with no reply. Locally, they said it was a "known issue". I have since torn up the new lease agreement for my wife's car. I am going Japanese.

Alan

entropy...there are a lot of aftermarket air filters makers out there. My suggestion is to get a quality filter. I think your model has a mass air flow sensor. (I dont know if you have the 1.6 or 2.0 engine) .There are technical service bulletins out for a lot of manufacturers that state do not use aftermarket filters that contain oil in the filter. (K&N as an example) These can contaminate the sensor and cause a buildup of debris on the hotwire. This will give the ECU(computer) false airflow readings and reduce fuel economy. This is true-seen it for for myself.

My mother and father-in-law have been long time GM employees. She no longer works there, but he does. They've always bought GM because of their discounts....they said they'd always do so because of that.

When I came into the picture, she asked me what car I'd buy. Talk about a loaded question seeing that I'm Japanese....LOL. I decided to be honest and I said my next car would be a Toyota Camry.....for comfort and reliability. She just said "Oh....".

Next thing I hear is that she's going car shopping. After test driving GMs at a local dealer, she spies a Toyota dealership on the way home. She pulls in and test drives the Camry. She bought it!!!! LOL. She's very happy with it and has never had any problems......

the gap has really narrowed beween domestics and offshore manufacturing these days in the last 5 years there has been a noticeable increase in quality in gm cars.

Iknow and work in this industry as well, the jap cars biggest problems seem to be power windows, brake longevity and transmission troubles (honda toyota nissan mazda)as well as higher maintenance costs. the gm cars seem pretty solid with the exception of the odd crapcan same for ford, i am not a fan of chrysler but the are getting better as well(other than the mini-van)

No matter what you buy it is always a gamble there is good and bad, my parents have 2 equinox's no troubles happy with them, sister has saturns great car till 200k then started to have some minor probs, i have a hyundai (2003 tiburon) with 308k and no real problems to speak of.

thanks for the help all....

i think its good to see when it comes to work trucks, trucks that are going to be used, the domestic companies still rule.....

my foreign options are very very slim. two or three options. Domestic i could look at at least six or seven models.

although the domestic manufacturers have a long way to come to join the imports regarding cars, when talking trucks, the domestic market still has the strongest vehicles.

who knows what i end up with, but it'll be better than my chevy lumina car for towing. :thumbsup_anim:

I don't think GM gets it. :dunno: Saw on the news last night how GM is concerned that Toyota will soon be bumping them out of the number one spot regarding the sales of North American internal combustion powered vehicles. To gain back lost ground GM is concentrating on better styling. Better styling???? Just my opinion, but they should forget trying to lure customers with pretty cars and useless electronic features and concentrate on quality. Frankly, their stuff is cheap junk.

Whoever mentioned the $35.00 import air filter should replace a wheel bearing on a GM. I was quoted over $400 by GM just to purchase a wheel bearing....no installation. I had a local garage install an after-market wheel bearing for $280.00. (Still overpriced but a far cry from GM's price).

The only reason domestic trucks are bigger sellers is because the imports are just breaking into the full-size truck market and don't have the selection of vehicles that the domestics provide.

I personally have trouble believing that the gap between domestic and import quality has shrunk. The quality of GM products has certainly not been improved in the last 5 years. I guess when a company spends more per vehicle on pensions than on steel the quality has to go downhill.

Good luck Steve if ya buy GM.....you're gonna need it.

Die Hard buy North American products guy here, I have owned trucks from all 3 domestics.

But, with a new family, somewhat fixed income, I put the odds in our favour for reliability...

I now drive a Toyota.

Steve, 4 Runner all the way. Friend has one, IMO allround wicked working machine. From 4wheelin into back lakes to towing his 19ft pro V.

thanks for that advice Harrison.

I'll definitely take a Hard Look at the 4Runner when making my purchase. Any year(s) better or worse than another?

That I am not sure about. His is a 2002 I think. Searching for a pic of it half way out in Frenchmans bay launching the boat in feb but can't find it to answer your queenston inquiry.

Good Luck with it.

again, thanks harrison.

its tough when i go to the dealerships and they recommend some little s10 or something because i'm not towing too much....however, when i try to explain some of the various launching conditions i've been through, they just roll their eyes and recommend me a little pickup.

now frenchmans bay in february, thats the kind of launching conditions i will be doing.....i took a couple pictures of my launching conditions with me to the honda dealership when i went there.....the launching in january at pyzners/Quinte had him calling me nutz, and advising me that honda hasn't released anything that would be of my benefit....but at least he was being honest.

I'm checking 4runners right now, and they are rather affordable....i think i'll try testdriving a couple 2004 4Runners.....

thanks again man.

(spring salmon is less than 3 months away. :D )

steve, a 4runner or pathfinder with proper tires and 4x4 should have no issues. they are thirsty for a 6cyl particularly when towing though (shouldn't use OD thus your RPMs are higher).

i use my jeep cherokee and have launched on some icy/crappy launches as well. flip it into 4x4 and no problems. biggest boat so far has been a 17ft lund side console w/90 4stroke. i have no doubt that it could pull a bigger boat, the issue with the cherokee are the crappy stock brakes. a surge brake on the trailer would certainly help with that.

i took a couple pictures of my launching conditions with me to the honda dealership when i went there

I'm checking 4runners right now, and they are rather affordable....i think i'll try testdriving a couple 2004 4Runners.....

(spring salmon is less than 3 months away. :D )

Now I know your fibbing, lol! You would never go to a Honda dealership and you don't fish..........BURN!

Has schmelly finally seen the light and the errors of the north american made vehicle :lol: