Vechicle Question Nf

Whopper

The Torrent is just the newer version of the Aztek (basically) and the Aztek although strange looking was a great vehicle for my family for 4+ years. As far as GM reliability there are still a lot of people bashing them but there quality has really improved in the last few years, the fact that they now offer a 5 year 160000 km warranty on the entire 07 line up sais a lot. Don't forget if we all want the North American economy to stay strong we need to support the companies that keep our money in North America.

The Torrent is just the newer version of the Aztek (basically) and the Aztek although strange looking was a great vehicle for my family for 4+ years. As far as GM reliability there are still a lot of people bashing them but there quality has really improved in the last few years, the fact that they now offer a 5 year 160000 km warranty on the entire 07 line up sais a lot. Don't forget if we all want the North American economy to stay strong we need to support the companies that keep our money in North America.

I'd be more likely to believe the 5/160k warranty is the candy GM has to dangle to remain fluid in the market, in other words, the only way to get rid of their stuff. If the product was that good, it would sell itself.

I think the 5/160,000 is just for the powertrain, which if you ask me is not worth a pinch of coon-crap. Any powertrain that can't last that long is worth having. Most problems don't really start untill after 150,000 Km. However, my old 1999 Cavalier was a great car. Not a single problem in 120,000 Km when I turned it in last August. I hope the next owner has good luck with it.

I'd be more likely to believe the 5/160k warranty is the candy GM has to dangle to remain fluid in the market, in other words, the only way to get rid of their stuff. If the product was that good, it would sell itself.

I know that general motors had some quality probelms in the eighties and nineties; however, I did read some quality reviews recently that put their quality right up there with Honda & Toyota.

Unfortunately, reputation is based on "old information". Many people will continue to shy away from the current GM lineup based on their experiences with vehicles made in the eighties and nineties. It take a few years of high quality production before their reputation will improve.

The torrent is actually an chevrolet equinox not an aztec..The aztec was a better vehicle. I work on this stuff every day guys. I was raised on chevys.Would really like for them to be #1 vehicle but I cant recommend much Gm stuff anymore. Hate to have to say it. Read consumer reports. From what I have seen lately the hype about better quality is so far smoke and mirrors. Ford and Chryco(or Daimler) pretty much the same thing. Sad commentary-wish it wasnt true

:(

ps..By the way..Did you know that the only car in NASCAR built in the continental USA next year will be the Toyota Camry.

Edited by Nipissing

You are right the Torrent is the same as an Equinox, but they are what GM used to replace the outgoing Aztek line up is what I was getting at. Also at the Detroit auto show GM was just awarded car and truck of the year. I couldn't have said it better myself John Bacon it takes a long time to change public perception. Probably more important do you plan to tow with it and if so how big is the boat you want to tow.

Why dont you check the Consumer Reports and the CAA Auto Opinion. Both are NOT backed by any car manafacturers (Road and Track etc) ie they are neutral. As far as I am concerned, I will never buy new and I will never buy domestic, UNLESS they have been found to be reliable by CR or CAA. until domestic stops ripping us/me, I will buy Jap/even Korean. I dont care if people loose their jobs. Maybe they will stop making junk and earn their high pay. The Pontiac Aztec is one of the cars that CR has deemed to avoid. Not sure about the Equinox, chances are its junk too. Maybe thats why its got a name change. This is all my opinion though. Do your homework, dont get sucked in

I would not reccommend GM to anyone. :angry: I have been a GM guy for as long as I can remember, but after the experience of owning a 2003 Buick Century, and trying to get them to honour their warranty, I will never buy from them again. Poorly designed vehicles, poor workmanship, and overpriced parts. Not to mention their warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on, so increasing the length of the warranty means only that you will be given the runaround for a longer period of time. Read the warranty VERY carefully. Their "bumper to bumper" warranty excludes just about everything. :dunno:

Here are some of the things you may have to contend with:

-poorly designed HVAC system. To keep our windows clear in cold weather, you have to keep the defog on high for so long that the car becomes a sauna. Plus in the summer you can smell the musty A/C inside the car. GM's response: "this is normal, there's nothing we can do about it".

-window rubber don't scrape the moisture off the windows, in fact they don't even touch the window. GM's response: "this is normal, if the rubbers touched the windows it would burn out the power window motors". I believe that too because the crappy power window motors barely work in cold weather as it is.

-although the car seemed tight as a drum when test driven, it only took a few weeks driving (all on paved roads) before the dash started to squeak and rattle. GM's response: "this normal, all our dashboards are all press fit plastic these days, no more screws or fasteners, the squeaks and rattles will disappear as the plastic settles in". The squeaks and rattles have gotten worse. Oh yeah, "there's nothing they can do about it".

-screeching brakes. After about 2 weeks driving the brakes on the car started squeaking and squealing so bad, my wife was (and still is) embarrased to drive the car. This is not a normal mettalic brake pad squeal. This is an extremely loud scraping noise. GM's response: "this is normal with metallic pads". But they attempted to eliminate the squeak by applying some kind of lubricant. The squeaking was eliminated.....until I got a few blocks from the dealership. They still sqeak and squeal to this day and "there is nothing" GM can do about it.

-there are several other things that have been addressed by GM, like the rear tail lights, which filled up with water every time it rained, the sticking seat belt strap (got another one sticking now), intermittent buzzing of the fuel pump, wheel bearing to name a few. All this and the car still only has just a tick over 60,000km on it.

At one point I contacted GM with a very cordial letter requesting that they honoured their warranty and was promised that they would contact the dealer and that they would take care of all my problems. But the dealer has done nothing but give us the runaround each time. I was going to sell the car after the first nine months, but these vehicles are so poorly built that after only 9 months our $25K car was only worth $12.5K. And GM used to be known for holding their value. I suppose I could spend the time pursuing things further, but the reason we bought a new vehicle was to have trouble free driving for a few years. Bringing the car to the dealer every other week is not what I call trouble free driving.

We will buy Japanese in the future and I recommend that's what you do as well.

Hi guys,

I work at the autoplant that makes the Equinox/Torrnet in Ingersoll, Ontario. Our plant is a GM/ Suzuki joint venture. Meaning that we build based on the Japanese way of building cars.

I am just a monkey on the line but our plant ranks at the top of GM's North America operations for quality. The Equinox/Torrnet actually replaced the chevy Tracker. They totally gutted the plant and brought in new tooling. We don't share any parts with the Aztex. The Saturn Vue is based on the same platform as the Equniox/Torrent. The new Suzuki XL-7 is an extended version that we started building in September.

I shop at my local fishing store instead of BPS, because I get better service and my money stays in the community. The same thing should go for large purchases (when possible). If you have a choice in new vehicles and one is built in Ontario, I hope that we would rather buy local so that Ontario can keep the jobs here. I don't want to preach here everyone can make their own choices but our kids will need jobs someday.

Buying a GM car right now is like being a Maple Leafs fan. The product is there and its not very good. People keep going to the games but why? :blink:

Ps..I dont like the way it is. I know we should support local business. I want domestic product to do well. I just wish they would pull up their socks and get it done!

Edited by Nipissing

Hi Thud...I wasn't questioning the way they are put together what is questioned is the engineering and quality of material. Kudos go out to the guys on the line. I once worked for Ford. I know how a lot of it goes. In the last month we had two domestic 2003 vehicles in here with rusted out brake lines. Ball joints and tie rod ends on some even newer with less than 40k on them. :dunno: What can I say? My customers ask me..What should I buy? Japanese does excel. I have to tell them how I feel. My peers will agree. In my line of business I prefer working on domestic cars. Parts availability and prices, information on servicing and so forth makes them easier to repair but necessary to repair more often. How do I feel when a young familys car needs a new front wheel bearing on their 3 year old but out of warranty vehicle that they have another 2 or 3 years to pay on? I feel like rolling my toolbox into the creek and go back to driving truck. But I refuse to stick my head in the sand. I will help them the best I can.

Thats enough :blahblah1: ...my rant ..no more from me on this.

Edited by Nipissing

Again, Check out CAA and CR before making that big purchase. Id like to buy a car where the warranty will outlast the payments. All I know is that I owned a new Hyundai Pony in 87, a new Nisson Multi in 90, a new Sentra in 94 and now a 99 Civic I bought last year with 101,000 KMs for less than $6000 and no warranty, but chances are its going to last for 300,000 Kms. I now have 127,000 with only oil changes. If you buy new make sure the warranty outlasts the payments, if thats possible. My wife bought a 5 year old Mazda protege that lasted 6 years with only minor repairs. Again it was a car that was less than $5,ooo dollars and had about 57,000 Kms. I figure you got to be either rich, or stupid to buy brand new these days. Jap cars rule and if it wasnt for import taxes, we would not have any domestic cars or jobs. Junk, junk and poor warrantys. Seems like the only people that like domestic HERE, are the prod workers and mechanics.

Question for those who dislike the north american vehicles.

I'm looking at buying a four wheel drive SUV, that has a V8 Engine. Currently i'm looking at a 2005 or 2006 Tahoe.

Is there ANY foreign market vehicle that could be trusted towing out of the Niagara River in February?

I know the cars are better build overseas, but is there an SUV (i dont need a pickup, as i need the room inside an SUV for rods), that can meet my needs that isn't domestic?

I've spoke to a few auto dealerships, including the Honda dealership, and when showing him teh launching conditions on the niagara river and quinte in the winter months, he said he wouldn't recommend any Honda's for my purpose.

I'd like to at least weigh my 'foreign options', but so far i've yet to find one. I know about the Armada, and thats just too expensive.

This might be a side-step but, the Aztec was made in Ramos Mexico along with the Sunfire. This plant now builds the Rendezvous for Buick and the HHR for Chevy. This is Mexico's oldest GM plant and this is the best they can do? I'd trust the Ingersol boys with their affiliation with Suzuki first. I work with owners of both the Torrent and the Equinox. They have had no problems in the first year of ownership. I would look at a Toyota Highlander and pay the extra bucks for the reliability that will surely outlast anything GM can offer.

Hey Steve, try to take out a Toyota FJ Cruiser, it's a six cyl but should be plenty powerful enough. If you must have an 8 cyl, try the 4runner. If they are too expensive it is because they are far superior in quality.

Edited by jediangler

actually, the 4Runner is a little cheaper for the comparable year and km Tahoe.

never wanted to own a Toyota though....hmmm.....

do u know anyone who has ever used a 4Runner for real work situations? Id love to talk to someone who has put their 4Runner through some extreme conditions.....

(not saying it wont at all, just would love to hear some first hand knowledge...)

Thanks for the advice.

Out of curiosity Dan, did you look at the Honda Ridgeline? I haven't researched them for towing capacity but you would think it should be capable of a good sized boat. The back end should be lockable for your rods and stuff. Once you have a pickup its hard to live without them. :D