We're gonna need a bigger boat

edmichit

This picture was taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Wiess about > >90 miles north of Birmingham, Alabama.

Game warden and helicopter pilot conversation "'Air1 have you a visual on the gator, over'> >> > 'Approaching inlet now, over'> >> > 'Roger Air1'> >> > 'Gator sighted. Looks like it has a small animal in its mouth.. > >moving in, over'> >> > 'Roger Air1'> >> > 'It's a Deer!'> >> > 'confirm Air1.. did you say Deer?, Over'> >> > 'Roger.. a Deer in its mouth.. looks like a full sized buck.. > >that's a big gator, were gonna need more men, Over'> >> > 'Roger Air1..can you give me a idea on size of animal, over'> >> > 'Its big 25 feet at least, please advise Gator is heading to > >inlet.. do I pursue?, over'> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth!> >> > The deer was later found to be a mature Stag and was measured at > >11?feet!

Are you ready to go fishing on Lake Wiess? you're gonna need a big boat!!!

ATT00003.jpg

ATT00001.jpg

The gator measured 28ft, the game warden in the picture is 6.5ft tall

The gator measured 28ft, the game warden in the picture is 6.5ft tall

Yikes! That is one big gator. That's even big for a croc.

Reminds me of my first venture into cave diving in the Yucatan. We got geared up and were floating in the centre of a crystal clear cenote while my instructor gave me the drill for the dive. To stall off the entry into the cave (did I mention how intimidating one's first cave diving experience is?) I pointed out how pretty the setting was with the mangroves surrounding the sparkling pond. He said "It's even better at night with all the red lights in the trees." I asked "Red lights?" His response "Yeah. The crocs eyes reflect red our lights. They're all around us right now." ..... Crap!!!! It sure made me feel a lot more inclined to get way back in the cave real quick.

Somehow I doubt a 12' tinny on that lake would feel quite as secure as 1,000' of cave passage if I knew the water monsters in the area were 28' long.

JF

First Picture is real but the story is not.

"Her neighbors in Bar X Ranch had been telling them they had seen a giant alligator in the bayou that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations.

"I didn't believe it", Charles Rogers said. Friday, they realized the stories were, if anything, understated. Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens had to shoot the beast.

"

Original caption under the picture

Joe Goff, a game warden with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, walks past a 13-foot, 1-inch alligator that he shot and killed in the back yard of the home at the Bar X Ranch on FM 521 near West Columbia.

Photo was taken by Val Horvath.

Information on the Second picture (with more pictures)

deer shots

Edited by bly