deep cycle/starting combo vs. deep cycle

lew

My 2 deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor have given me flawless service for 9 seasons now but I think it's finally time to put them out to pasture and replace them.

I use group 27's as that's the biggest I can get in the battery compartment but all I can find in that size is the deep cycle/ starting combo and I have only ever used the straight deep cycle and am wondering if the combo will work as well.

Anyone ever use the combos for running troll motors and how are they ??

I'll be very pleased if I can get another 9 years outta them ;)

Lew, i think i have the same boat as you, (crestliner cv182?)and i can understand the space issue, however i would have thought you could go larger then grp 27's?

The last set i purchased was the combo type and i would not do it again, they don't seem to keep the charge as well as the pure deep cycle's i've had in the past. I figured the on board charger is not suited for dual types (no expert just my feeling as to why)

I use a combo for the cranking battery, as i also run the accessories off of and it has given me no issues at all.

It's also time for a new set of deep cycles for me as well, so if you find a set that works for you, and the price is right, let me know please.

Thanks for the responses guys, I've decided to go with the dedicated deep cycles rather than combos as that's what's always worked best for me in the past.

I've been on the phone with various Walmarts in Toronto for an hour before I found somebody who could actually talk English, and then he had no clue what I meant by deep cycle batteries even though he works in the automotive section......what a terrible city Toronto is becoming.....

Tree30eight, I'm getting the Group 27 deep cycles in Bridgenorth tomorrow for $120 each and to me I think that's a decent price compared to a few other places I've called.

LeBarons is $125 but sold out

Gagnons is $110 but sold out

Paris Marine north of Peterboro is $147

Never called BPS so don't know their price.

Very often the lttle guy is who we should start with 1st

EH! Lew

stowaway by Exide # st27dp700 is what you want ...don't pay more than 85 $$ I have plenty in stock

are ya coming to Lakair? If you do let me know I'll put a few aside for ya. 20 minutes from Lakair.

705 753 9992 is my work #

pm me for more info.

Randy from Sturgeon.

st= Stowaway

27= group size

dp= dual purpose

700= cranking amps.

:Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

Guest lundboy
Thanks for the responses guys, I've decided to go with the dedicated deep cycles rather than combos as that's what's always worked best for me in the past.

I've been on the phone with various Walmarts in Toronto for an hour before I found somebody who could actually talk English, and then he had no clue what I meant by deep cycle batteries even though he works in the automotive section......what a terrible city Toronto is becoming.....

Tree30eight, I'm getting the Group 27 deep cycles in Bridgenorth tomorrow for $120 each and to me I think that's a decent price compared to a few other places I've called.

LeBarons is $125 but sold out

Gagnons is $110 but sold out

Paris Marine north of Peterboro is $147

Never called BPS so don't know their price.

Very often the lttle guy is who we should start with 1st

For $140 you can probably get 180 Reserve Capacity. Check the ones you are getting for $120 they are probably 140 RC. Might as well maximize the capability since you can't get group 31s in the battery compartment.

There is a huge run on Group 27 Deep cycles right now, Exide is out of stock. I just got mine in time because I put my order in last fall and took delivery May 15th. (Group 27 180RC deep cycle) I wouldn't go DP Dual purpose unless it's also your starting battery.

Edited by lundboy

Lew try HERCULES BATTERY on dixie and Britannia they sell blemished for very cheap ive been getting batteries for family and friends ther for 15 years nobody can match their price call and ask about deep cycles

Hercules Battery Services Ltd

1220 Britannia Road East

Mississauga, ON L4W 1C8

(905) 564-9748

Peter

Lew, call Brian at JB's, I know they sell the Walleye-1 (???) deep cycles, he might be able to hook you up.

I've been very happy with a new walleye battery I put in mine last fall. It seems to hold a real good charge,and the price was right. I got mine at the marina I"m docked at......$90

Sinker

Thanks again for all the suggestions boyz, but I did a bit of searching on the net and found a guy not too far from home who deals in nothing but batteries, plus he came highly recommended by another OFNer who has dealt with him quite a bit.

I picked up a pair of group 27 deep cycles with 225 reserve for less money than most others wanted for batteries with far less reserve. I'll install them tomorrow, then give them a good workout over the next week :Gonefishing:

Edited by lew

Hey Lew

Just bought 2 Optima duel purposes but cant tell you how they work yet as my onboard charger won't recognize the charge status on spiral cells.

Just got a new charger. Give me a few weeks and I will be able to tell you ifg they are worth it.

They are now 199 at costco compared to 279$ last year.