Going on my first outing for specks tomorrow!

I'm super stoked to be heading up to the Saugeen River and some of the tributaries tomorrow. Having never fished for specks, I'm sure that I'm not entirely prepared tackle wise. EHG suggested #2 Panther Martins. Unfortunately, I was only able to find #4's. They are pretty small but I'm not sure if they are going to be too big? I was also wondering if anyone uses slipfoat rigs much like one would use for steelhead? Will worms do the trick? Sorry for all of the stupid questions! I'm still very much a newbie in many regards!

#1 and #0 Mepps Algias and BlueFox vibrax in both gold and silver.

Half a dew worm and a small split shot.

Pretty much all you'll need. You'll also want to make sure you are running some low lb test line (I run 4lb)..

Make sure you aren't smashing through the bush like a bear, you gotta sneak up to the pools nice a quietly..

Also, fish up river if possible , not down less chance of spooking the fish.

I have also been told to swap out the treble hooks for a single to get into the wood where the bigguns live :)

Basically the advice you've been given is solid the only thing I have to add is to be patient especially if this is your first time with this type of fishing. Sometimes trout can be finicky. Also were pants and long sleeves or the bugs will devour you in the bush.

The other thing you should be prepared for is lots of private property, so be careful where you go, as some land owners really don't like fisherman. Finding spots requires a little searching.

That Rocky Saugeen is a great place for brookies. :thumbsup_anim:

All that above info is good... worms, #0 or #1 mepps/Vibrax as well.

Flicking/ casting #2 or#4 Panther Martins works for me.

Bring waders and tons of bug repellent.

Good luck,

ehg

I went out to a spot lastnight and was nailing all kinds of fish on a #0 silver Vibrax. I also switched over to 4lb Sensation, so who knows if that made a difference.. I kick myself though because on the way back to the car, I stopped at the last pool. Me being a dummy walks right up to the bank, makes a cast etc etc etc. I seee a big black shadow dart from under a mid stream log and hide inside a beaver damn. ticked me off because I should have taken my own advice and walked around the pool and fished it from the rear...

Biggest fish of the night was about 7-8inches or so.. Lots of small rainbows, actually only 2 brookies.

All good advice, especially bug repellant. I forgot mine my last trip and really found it hard to hold my rod still or work a drift properly 'cuz I was swatting mosquitoes. And those ones that hover around your ears sound like helecopters! Geez!

As others have said, smaller spinners are best. They're lighter too and don't sink as quickly and this is helpful in what are usually not very deep streams with lots of roots and snags along the bottom. Tipping the hook with a bit of worm will definately up your odds too.

If the banks are really over grown, casting and retreaving spinners may not be an option. Drifting a worm with a tiny split-shot a foot or foot and a half up the line will be the ticket. Drifting in ripples and runs can be effective as well as drifting into undercut banks and under timber. Don't bring your bait back to quickly either. I leave mine sitting for a bit when it drifts underneath some cover and sometimes the brookies will hit it only after it's sat for a bit. Experiment.

Lastly, DON'T get frustrated. Climbing throught dense woods only to find snag-infested overgrown stream sections that have you re-tieing cast after cast can be exhausting. Relax. Take it slow. And work what you believe to be holding areas as best as you can.

Polorized sunglasses are a must, in my opnion, because you can see exactly what your bait is doing in amongst all the rock and wood and roots. They'll help you stop the occasional fish darting in and out of their hiding places too.

Goodluck!

If you have a really small spinner of any kind and let the current do the work you can have a blast. If you can find a spot where just holding the spinner in the current allows it to turn you might be surprised at how far from the edge or from under a log a speck will dart to nail it after a couple of minutes.... If you can get to such a spot without spooking the fish first you really will have earned what you catch.

Well we haven't heard a report so Im going to assume hes been carried away by the mosquitos.

Ha ha ha!! I got back last night but had to work today and just got home! I have to admit, given the reports on this site coupled with the dire warnings of a bunch of locals, I WAS expecting to get carried off by the skeeters. They were around, but I found them to be tolerable even without repellent. Maybe it's the hardened northern Ontario boy in me?

So, my buddy Rick and I fished for about 4 hours on Friday evening and another 8 hours on Saturday. We didn't catch a single fish unfortunately. In spite of this, I had a blast! Not too sure about Rick though! We covered a ridiculous amount of area and fished portions of Saugeen River, South Saugeen River, Rocky Saugeen River, Beaver River, Black Creek, Traverston Creek and capped it all off fishing off the drop at Lake Eugenia hoping for a rainbow or two.

For the most part, we were restricted to fishing from bridge access points which wasn't that great. There really weren't many pools of depth at all. I'm fine trekking up or down stream with just my shorts and running shoes, and at times, I was nearly nipple deep in the goods, but Rick wasn't so eager or agile! Fishing these rivers / tribs is a tough go and I'm thinking next time, kayaks are in order and I will just focus on one river and really work it and find all of the nooks and crannies. We fished the portion of the Beaver River close to Kimberley and this was where the best pools were found. I'll definitely head back again to this spot soon.

The nature in the area was breathtaking and in addition to seeing some awesome waterfalls (Eugenia, Hogg's) we saw plenty of deer, groundhogs and wild turkeys. For me, one of the most poignant aspects of the trip was seeing the Mennonites bootin' around in their horse drawn carriages. We were fishing off of one bridge for about half an hour and about 6 of them went by at different times. Unlike life in the metropolis, they all waved and smiled. And at a time when oil prices are skyrocketing and the source itself is gradually dwindling to complete nothingness, I felt that in many ways, they totally have it down.

Throughout the day Saturday, we ran into many locals who told us that we would have a grand ol' time fishing the dam on the Saugeen in Walkerton. Having hitherto had no luck with the fish we thought it'd be worth a try. After losing a brand new Smithwick Rogue and a brand new Husky Jerk to the rocks below the dam, I switched up to a good old fashioned worm / hook/ slip float combo. After getting only a few tiny nibbles over the next half hour, I turned to Rick and proclaimed there to be absolutely no fish of merit in this particular hole. And no sooner had I said this, what appeared to be about a 36 ' muskie breached water right in front of me in the midst of mowing down a meaty minnow. My mouth was totally agape. And I swear the sucker winked at me to boot! So I missed out on the chance to land my first ever muskie as well.

So there you have it. No fish but one heck of a good time. I sometimes forget that the journey is just as meaningful as attaining a desired end in this mad world. And I can't wait to get back out there and see if all of this experience will ultimately help me land my first dang' speck!

Thanks for all the tips gang and a big thanks to my team mate EHG for mad hook ups!

Thanks for your follow-up report Billy. It was a great one! Sorry to hear abour the lack of fish and would have excpected at least a resident bow or two for ya, but nada. Still you say you enjoyed your trip so I would deem it a success. And getting a peek at that muskie? Wow!!!

Keep at it Billy and keep asking questions. You will connect!

Cheers Bud!

I'm surprised that you didn't get anything :dunno:

All those creeks named have produced well for me in past except (Saugeen, South Saugeen),

always fished May or last 2 weeks in Sept. however.

Great add on report though lots of interesting sights and wildlife up there!

The Mennonites show the seperation from the city life. Hopefully your buddy stays up there so you can give it a shot again.

My previous PB brookie came from the first bend at bottom of hill in Beaver R. near Kimberly at end of season.

Thanks for reporting back,

ehg