Paris & Bill

JohnF

So Young Bill had made the mistake of volunteering to teach me something about flyfishing, and after a less than subtle hint from me in the chatroom he made good.

He said "Say when." and I responded "Soon, and where?" His answer "Meet me in Paris." so I did. After the initial round of first time meeting handshakes and sizing up he led me down some backroads to a ... Church Camp????? Hey, what do I know? Mebbe flyfishers are more religious than the normal run of the mill heathen redneck caster. I figgered we were gonna offer up a bit of prayer for a good day on the river. However, all that happened was a nice lady took a bunch of personal info and stripsearched us (presumably to verify that we indeed carried no concealed barbed hooks or live worms) and then off we headed to the first of Bill's tried and true, gay-ron-teed honey holes, so full of trout they'll just leap into our hands. Of course the rain had turned the river to chocolate milk, but Trout Boy says, "It don't make no nevermind. They always hit here."

He gave me the short course in good flycaster technique and river lore (hold it in yer right hand, keep a straight wrist, that's the river, fish live there, watch the riffles, find the seam, do it). So I did. My first cast was almost perfection. It was also short, very short. But I learned what a wind knot was and I lost the little pinky orange glob of stuff that he made me squeeze around my line, as a bobber I think. Meanwhile he unfurls his magic wand and starts into this smart alecky routine showing me what my casts are supposed to look like. Right!!! That's gonna happen soon.

Bill_1.jpg

At least his first stylish casts got exactly as many trout as my less than perfect feeble firsts, so I didn't feel too bad. But then he settled down to really working the water. I was so impressed with his style that I decided to get some pics of him instead of embarrassing myself more. This pic is like a capture from "A River Runs Through It", only without Brad Pitt. I apologize for the picture quality. You don't get much these days in a camera when it comes free with an HP printer. This was one of Bill's fatter loops, but he nailed the seam.

After a lot of unrewarding practice casts for me our guide decided to move on. I guess he didn't like practicing either. At the next "hole" we worked our way through the briars and brambles, finally emerging beside a pretty little torrent of muddy water ... and a very focused flyfisherman ensconced in his work. We graciously beat a reasonably silent retreat and headed through the trees (and briars and brambles) to the next best pool. There Bill immediately headed off to look under rocks, he said, for what sounded like Cabbage Flies, Olives and Nymphos. I could hardly wait to see what this produced. Here's a pic I shot while he was "looking". As you can see it would appear he was really just peeing in the river.

Bugs.jpg

It was about this time I learned how intelligent flyfisherpersons do it, and save energy to boot. Instead of humiliating and frustrating myself with windknots and hooks in the back of my shirt (only one) I just dropped the little bitty fly in the water and payed out line as the little hairball drifted off to the next county. I figgered it was time to call him back when I hit the backing. Much less effort required. And it caught exactly the same number of trout as the old fashioned method of casting and mending, casting and mending.

Just when I was starting to get into a flyfloating groove Bill screamed out "BEAVER". My first thought was "Sheesh, I was never this horny when I was 18." I turned to tell him to throw cold water on it, we were there to fish, not chase tail. I'll be jiggered. There's a beaver, chewing on a tree. Neat.

Paris_Beaver.jpg

We wandered up and down that stretch of creek, wading in places till the current and/or depth chased us back and finally, around 8:30, Bill's conscience got the best of him and he decided he should get back to hit the books for the next day's exam.

So we caught nothing, for which Bill offered profuse apologies. I didn't mind. I had a great time. I learned a lot about fly fishing and spent a day wandering around in the trees and rivers in excellent company. How can that be bad?

Bill's a good guy, mature beyond his years, and already well-versed in fish lore and practical fishing knowledge. It was a great day, and I have only young Bill to thank for that.

Thanks Bill

JF

Edited by JohnF

That was a fun read... thanks for that and yes, Bill is mature beyond his years and a shining example of what today's youth should be like!

Good on yah Bill and keep at it John... maybe marshmellows would have helped! LOL

HH

That was a fun read... thanks for that and yes, Bill is mature beyond his years and a shining example of what today's youth should be like!

Good on yah Bill and keep at it John... maybe marshmellows would have helped! LOL

HH

I snuck a quick peek in his flybox and saw something suspiciously marshmallow-like. Pride may prevent him from sharing that particular piece of fishing lore with newbies.

JF

Starting to enjoy your posts as much as Moosebunk's!!!

Only difference is a little more humour and a lot less fish!!!! :lol::lol::o:whistling::whistling:

Fish? They're those smelly squirmy things some of you accidentally hook while communing with nature, right? If it wasn't that I needed instruction and enjoyed good company I'd be happy as a clam casting my assortment of unmarked fishing lures into the pool in my back yard. As long as no one is swimming there's no chance of hooking anything that might spoil the mood.

Pool fishing is great. No expensive boats, no live bait issues, no MNR officers checking up on me, and the cold beer is only as far away as the kitchen fridge. I don't even have to set down the rod to get one. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

The ole"wind knot""lol,,,,,I remember when my Dad first tried teaching me how to cast.It was a very long(long enough to untangle the mess a few times) :wallbash: :wallbash: I was grabbin for my spinnin rod,lol...

Little more patience now for it now though,lol

Great read!!!!!

I'm impressed John! First a fishing report based on a dream...and now an actual fishing report! Next thing we'll start seeing you with fish....hehe.

Great on the two of you getting out there. Skunks are a part of fishing, something bly and I run into all the time. Great report...love your writing style.

Starting to enjoy your posts as much as Moosebunk's!!!

But his are the real deal. Mine are just comic relief. To paraphrase some sage soul - "Them what can, fish. Them what can't, write about fishing." Drew is one of those lucky few who can fish AND write about it with style.

As I've already said, there are others here blessed with that same combination of talents. I'm just a one-trick pony till I learn to actually catch the durned things. <_<

JF

Good stuff, I'd buy any one of your books! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks, but yer money's safe. I've not been exactly overwhelmed with offers of big advances from publishers to date, and considering that "to date" involves some 60 odd years, it's safe to assume there will be none in the future either. Jeez. Writing for a living might take the fun out of it. :clapping:

JF