problem with motor??

Loonietoon

Started up my motor today and after running for about 5 mins found milky fluid coming out from prop area?? drained oil from lower end to check.. as I did change it before winter... no problem there... all is good.. is it a seal at the prop??? motor is a 70 Evenrude possibly in the early 70's I do believe... Any one with an answer would be great... Thanks in advance :whistling:

A milky fluid would indicate that you have water mixed in with the oil. So yes the likely cause would be a bad seal.

Maximum marine on Garner, almost to hwy 54??? , near the new Ancaster fairgrounds, is a very good mechanic IMHO.

Good luck with the problem.

It was coming out of the area of the prop between where it goes into the housing a little coming out from the exhast area as well.. Took the prop off and found nothing... wondering if it is the anti seize that I put on the shaft as I said.. all the bottom end oil is okay

If it was the lower end there should be water in the oil that is still in the lower end.

Drain the bottom end oil into a clear container. If it looks like the same as new oil you are ok. That is the best way to check the seals and the condition of the lower end.

If it is not the lower end then it could be just exhaust. Were you running the motor at low rpm?

the engine has thru hub EXHAUST,your exhaust has left over oil in it, it is a 2 stroke engine it dont burn as clean as the newer 4 strokes and such ,if your gearcase seals where leaking it would have drained out over winter and the fluid you removed would look like MILK not a sign of dark ,burnt or goldish oil left then your seals are gone

This is a bit off topic, but, isn't it better to change the oil after winter?

Condensation can occur over winter.

forrest

No, if there is water in the lower end it can freeze and crack the housing during the winter.

Like I was saying... when I drained the oil out today it was still good...I will be putting in new oil again and will let it run and see if it clears up. Motor was run at an Idle.. I will not let it run at full throttle as I only have muffs on the motor and not enough pressure for any thing else... have never run a motor past Idle when ever I have started up with muffs on.. Thanks for all the advise so far :worthy: on a note the water pump was working because I had a steady stream of water coming out the hose where it comes out of the motor so I know the impeller is working

The gear case is sealed with a 2 way seal, so it is possible for oil to leak out but not in if the seal is damaged. You can keep an eye on the oil level or have it pressure tested.

I think ctc has a bike hand pump that has a check valve in it that with some modifying can be used to check the gear case.

Unburned oil can plug up the exhaust if you use really cheap oil.

It's what aniceguy and norhteastshark said, it is the unburt oil that has built up in the exhaust housing and then runs down and out the prop. use seafoam on a regular basis, it is great stuff and has many uses such as a gas additive, cleans the built up carbon on the pistons. The place I get it is at Napa

Hope this helps you

sunchaser81