Relaxing Weekend on a Trout Lake

It all started early Friday morning....loaded up the truck and boat and headed out for the weekend to a quiet little trout lake north of Hwy 7...

Made a few pit stops along the way and got to the lodge around 9:30AM where I was greeted by my hosts, Helga and Wolfgang Dietz .... what a nice couple they are!! Super spot and great prices!!!

Wolfgang came out to help me launch the boat and he had a bug net jacket on....it didn't take long for me to frantically look for mine as well because the blackflies were in full force that morning and were relentless along the shoreline!!!

Here's the view from the lodge...just a gem of a lake!!

20080531_0013.jpg

Got all the gear out of the truck and into my cabin which is named the "Pioneer"......It's a nice little rustic log cabin that has a full fridge/freezer, new stove/oven, flush toilet, BBQ, party deck and cold running water...Here's some pics....

20080530_0004.jpg

20080530_0001.jpg

20080531_0015.jpg

It's been over 20 some years since I fished Mosque so I decided to take a tour around the entire lake and back bays to refresh my mind with the water depths/shoals....you have to be cautious on this lake as there are many rock shoals that appear out of nowhere!!! One thing that surpised me was the 60.8F water temp....pretty warm for this time of year...

While I was scouting the lake, I decided to throw a line out and ended up shaking off a lot of persistant perch that found the fly that I was using irresistible ....those species weren't in this lake when I fished it many moons ago!!

I also caught this little fella that I'm not sure what it is....is it a fall fish, or some type of sucker??? It was ~ 8" long...

20080530_0005.jpg

Went back to the cabin and had a BBQ, a couple of cold pints and got my fishing gear ready for the evening fish..That night I caught a beauty rainbow with the fly rod that kept me busy for a good while....what a fight!!!!!....broke water 4 times tryin' to shake that fly out of it's mouth but I ended up winning the fight with him in the net...This ended up being my biggest fish for the rest of the weekend.... :thumbsup_anim:

20080530_0012.jpg

Met a great little guy up there who kept me company all weekend long :canadian:

20080531_0021.jpg

20080530_0006.jpg

The weather could have been a bit better but hey, it was a weekend out fishing and doing some r&r....

Here's a few more scenic pics....

20080531_0017.jpg

20080531_0018.jpg

20080531_0016.jpg

I also caught this little fella that I'm not sure what it is....is it a fall fish, or some type of sucker??? It was ~ 8" long...

20080530_0005.jpg

That looks like a Wild Golden Shiner to me Steve.

Great report and pics!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like a very charming camp... but no hot water??? :dunno:

Did that Trout not beat your other entry?... or did you forget your logo? ;)

Edited by Greencoachdog

That looks like a Wild Golden Shiner to me Steve.

Great report and pics!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Lokks like a very charming camp... but no hot water??? :dunno:

Did that Trout not beat your other entry?... or did you forget your logo? ;)

I'm an honest guy Glen :angel: ....it was shy by 1 1/2".....there was a small building that had a real nice shower with hot and cold water, so it wasn't that bad...

Very nice photos and story!

What a great looking little weekend getaway. That's a nice trout there. I think that smaller fish is a fallfish.

That picture of the lake says it all.

Here's the view from the lodge...just a gem of a lake!!

20080531_0013.jpg

Thanks for sharing,

ehg