Muskie Reels- Prefered Gear Ratios...

LebowSKI

Last season I got heavy into Muskie fishing. My parents got me a Pete Maina combo for Christmas but they bought the reel with a 4.2:1 gear ratio. I used it all season but with lots of difficulty trying to get baits running correctly. Pumping a 10" Suick with that reel is a workout let me tell you! So anyway, now I'm ready to step it up and buy a new reel. I was just wondering what gear ratio all of you Muskie guys prefer for casting mainly jerkbaits and spinners? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I use Abu 6501 c3s which are 5.3:1 (off the top of my head) and Quantum Cabo CBC31PTSs which are 5.7:1. Abu 6500 C4s are 6.3:1 but I hear some stories of people blowing up the gears on the C4s.. too much stress with large muskie baits. I use the Quantums for jerkbaits and have tried them on inline blade baits, and abus for everything else.

My recommendation is to stick with the C3 ratio in a 6500 class reel or move up to the 7000 if you are looking for a quicker reel. You pete maina reel would serve well as a trolling reel.

I know I sound like an Abu commercial but thats just what I am familiar with. Other than maybe the Pete Maina reels, IMO you won't find another reel like the 6500 series C3 that can stand up to the abuse at this price point. Calcutta is the only Shimano worth buying for muskie fish'n IMO and you can get 3 or 4 C3s for the price of one Calcutta.

Edited by Raf

I always like a faster real, but in late fall slow and low the low ratios will work fine. Hard to keep up with those 10" suicks on a 4:2:1 eh !

I like my big game abu 7000 for jerks, built like a tank, keeps up. If you go with the c3/c4 high speed abu reels you can buy a power handle seperate that really works good for picking up the slack, or there are many other high speed reels out there.

I don't have any experience casting for Muskie but the Shimano Curado 300 looks like a great alternative to round baitcasters. Only slightly larger/heavier than the typical curado body, the palmable low profile reel features 6.2:1 ratio and 15lb drag. The deeper/wider spool holds 120yrd/20lb mono. They aren't cheap at $250 US

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLC...ANO-SCU30D.html

-Brian

I like my big game abu 7000 for jerks, built like a tank, keeps up.

I agree with GbayGiant on the Big Game 7000

I've used alot of different reels over the years for big jerkbaits, but haven't found another reel that works as well for taking up the slack line in a hurry, plus giving plenty of cranking power at the same time.

The gear ratio is only 5.3-1 but the large diameter spool and power handle make up for the difference and you can crank baits or slack line very fast with no effort.,

It's a fairly large reel but still comfortable to use all day with no problems.

B000CSSRNC.jpg

Guest Trophymuskie

Basic rule of thumbs but nothing set in gold here.

5.3/1 ratio (i.e 6500C3) is your middle of the line and can do it all kind of thing. This should be your first muskie reel and most used.

4.3/1 ratio (i.e. 6500C3C) is for slow moving or hard pulling crankbaits.

6.3/1 ratio (i.e. 6600C) is for jerkbaits, the fast retreive allows you to catch the slack between pulls easier. It can also be used to burn smaller bucktails as well as most topwaters.

I have the Abu C4's in 5600 and 6500. I love the 5600 for bucktail burning over weeds and for surface bulging. I don't throw any heavy lures and have not had a problem with either of these reels over the past 5 years. I only musky fish about 10 -12 days a year.

From my observations over the past few years it seems like Abu C3s and C4s do not hold up to alot of punishment. I mean 100+ days on the water throwing big Jerkbaits. But for the average weekend Muskie angler(like me!) they make for a great inexpensive reel.

Anyone using the new Abu Record?

Even though Raf was able to get some ebay deals on his CBC's I haven't seen a CBC31PTS, or 30 if you want right hand retrieve, come up on Ebay in quite some time. You can walk into JB's and get one from Brian for under $200 and that's what I did for my second one after giving up on ebay. Love my two Cabo's and the CTE401 I have.

You'll be happy with a 7000 if you choose to go that route. It will do everything and do it well. The dang' clicker on that thing can wake the dead! LOL Like Lew said, eventhough it is 'only' a 5.3:1 ratio reel, the large spool and giant handle just eat up the line.

I think my next muskie reel will be a 7001.