modifying baitcasting rod-removing trigger

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this. I have two great little baitcasting setups. The rods are great, nice and stiff, sensitive and they were pretty cheap. I was wondering if anyone here has tried to cut the trigger off a baitcasting rod so that they can use a spinning reel instead. I realize that the first guide on a baitcasting rod is very small, but this should not cause too much of a problem, and because they have the small guide they are easier to pack into a tube for travel.

When I am camping I want to bring as few rods as possible, and I like fishing with both my baitcasting reels and spinning reels, depending on what I am fishing for, so this seems like a good idea. Anybody have any suggestions what I should use to remove it? (hacksaw, grinder, sandpaper, etc......) or conversely, anyone have any good reasons why I should not do this?

Cheers, any input is appreciated.

you will have alot of friction in both casting and retrieving with the spinning reel and not as good of grip for whipping baits with a caster... I wqould say get a 2 or 2.5" tube and a new rod then pack one of each... I wouldnt ruin a good rod to make it hardly mediocre for both uses... Just MHO

The best reason not to do this is baitcasting rods are meant to bend with the eyes on top of the rod, spinning with the eyes on the bottom. You'll be bending the rod the wrong way which will cause failure, not to mention it probably won't cast worth a crap. Buy yourself a cheap spincast reel to put on that rod, Zebco 33 should do it.

You will lose casting distance using a spinning reel on a casting rod. The larger guides on a spinning rod compensate for the way line comes off of a spinning reel, reducing drag and increasing casting distance. I would try it first before cutting off the trigger.

I tried it years ago for chits and giggles. I removed the trigger from fenwick HMG, it was given to me. I went out, it did not want to cast, hit a bass and there was no bend on the rod at all, because the the eyes were reversed.

I would not recommend this to anyone. Just buy another rod, saves headaches.

Daniel

I agree with all of the above statements --- don't do it!!!! Lots of times you can find the same model rod you have in a spinning version...might be worth checking out.

Edited by johnnyb