Question About Vehicles (NF)

solopaddler

Man I just dont get it. Gas is going up like crazy and everybody wants an SUV. My vote would be go for a small wagon like the toyota Matrix. Unlress you want to tow a monster boat. Roomy, great on gas, good resale, CHEAPER. Now as far as government gas milages. Be aware some companys test their cars with the wheel rotating on a Mileage wheel, like a stationary bike with no resistance.

As mentioned I've already got a Honda Accord. The 2nd vehicle needs the cargo capacity to take the whole family up north with all our gear, something I do on a regular basis.

I actually looked at a Jetta TDI diesel wagon, doesn't get much more practical or fuel efficient than that. It just wasn't quite big enough though...

The newer Honda Odysseys have the engine management system that allows the motor to switch to 3cyl from 6cyl when the extra power is not needed. I think it started in 06 or 07. The Element is great if you can get past the styling. If you can find a Toyota Highlander with the 4cyl 2.4L that would be good too. Personally I like he new Scion XB for 2008.

Wow you thought Haldimand was overpriced?? They are one of,if not, the best priced car lots in the niagara penninsula. Check thier history, also you will be hard pressed to find a dissatified customer.

That is the first place that comes to mind when someone wants a used car. They sell on average 30+ vehicle each day. Gotta be doing something right.

Wow you thought Haldimand was overpriced?? They are one of,if not, the best priced car lots in the niagara penninsula. Check thier history, also you will be hard pressed to find a dissatified customer.

That is the first place that comes to mind when someone wants a used car. They sell on average 30+ vehicle each day. Gotta be doing something right.

I know they're competetive as far as private dealers go, but they're definitely, 100% overpriced.

First off 90% of the vehicles on that lot are coming off leases and have around 100 thousand km's on them.

They're priced roughly 2-3K more than they should be, plus you're paying 2 taxes. (I'll only ever buy privately. More room to haggle, plus only one tax).

If you know where and how to look it's easy to find plenty of good deals out there...

I know they're competetive as far as private dealers go, but they're definitely, 100% overpriced.

First off 90% of the vehicles on that lot are coming off leases and have around 100 thousand km's on them.

They're priced roughly 2-3K more than they should be, plus you're paying 2 taxes. (I'll only ever buy privately. More room to haggle, plus only one tax).

If you know where and how to look it's easy to find plenty of good deals out there...

Be careful with the Car sellers that advertise as private, then when you just about to close a deal they say that they have a friend who is a dealer to help with the paperwork. Trust me, a lot (too Much) of that in the GTA, be wary of small dealers that come with an accent. I came across that coincidentally on two separate occasions when looking for a used Honda. Also coincidental both were from Afghanistan so they said. Just Weird, Also I had an investigator come to my house from TO to Wasaga after I had bought a Car. Seems the car sellers, dealer Buddie had reopened the Buisness using his sons name after being shut down for illegal dealing. Lots of Crooked robbers out there.

Be careful with the Car sellers that advertise as private, then when you just about to close a deal they say that they have a friend who is a dealer to help with the paperwork. Trust me, a lot (too Much) of that in the GTA, be wary of small dealers that come with an accent. I came across that coincidentally on two separate occasions when looking for a used Honda. Also coincidental both were from Afghanistan so they said. Just Weird, Also I had an investigator come to my house from TO to Wasaga after I had bought a Car. Seems the car sellers, dealer Buddie had reopened the Buisness using his sons name after being shut down for illegal dealing. Lots of Crooked robbers out there.

You're right, there's plenty of "curbsiders" as we call them around here.

If anyone's buying privately and something doesn't feel right it's best to just walk away.

You can also spend the 20 bucks and get a carfax report on the vehicle.

If you're careful and do your homework you won't get burned.

Mike, my choice probably would be a Passat TDI wagon. They are rare but one comes up now and again. There is a big however on this though.........if diesel continues to eclipse gasoline in price ($0.85 a gallon more than regular in Detroit on Friday) then I may rethink things.

Hey solo,

From reading your post it seems that you will need a vehicle ...

1) good on mileage, 2) have plenty of room for storage

I would suggest looking at the Mazda5. It's crossover minivan. Seats 6 and got lots of room, 2.3L engine and 157hp. It might be not be as powerful as the others ones you have in mind but it's good on gas. As you said you won't need to tow anything, I think it is sufficient. Great price tag as well.

I'd also suggest looking at the Nissan X-trail ... although i think CRV would be better but i don't know it too well ... just another one to look at

Good luck!

You're right, there's plenty of "curbsiders" as we call them around here.

If anyone's buying privately and something doesn't feel right it's best to just walk away.

You can also spend the 20 bucks and get a carfax report on the vehicle.

If you're careful and do your homework you won't get burned.

Good point with the car fax, you never know it could of been buried underneath the Red Sea in Winnipeg that year.

Hey solo,

From reading your post it seems that you will need a vehicle ...

1) good on mileage, 2) have plenty of room for storage

I would suggest looking at the Mazda5. It's crossover minivan. Seats 6 and got lots of room, 2.3L engine and 157hp. It might be not be as powerful as the others ones you have in mind but it's good on gas. As you said you won't need to tow anything, I think it is sufficient. Great price tag as well.

I'd also suggest looking at the Nissan X-trail ... although i think CRV would be better but i don't know it too well ... just another one to look at

Good luck!

Yep, I've looked closely at both of those vehicles.

The Mazda 5 is the smallest minivan on the market, but still has worse gas mileage than the Odyssey and doesn't have the resale value.

The XTrail is interesting. Only sold in Canada for 3 years (05-07), never sold in the States. Sold in Europe for years and very popular over there. By all accounts a good vehicle and very fuel efficient.

Problem is I can buy a CRV for the same coin and I doubt the XTrail will hold it's value as well.

Yep, I've looked closely at both of those vehicles.

The Mazda 5 is the smallest minivan on the market, but still has worse gas mileage than the Odyssey and doesn't have the resale value.

The XTrail is interesting. Only sold in Canada for 3 years (05-07), never sold in the States. Sold in Europe for years and very popular over there. By all accounts a good vehicle and very fuel efficient.

Problem is I can buy a CRV for the same coin and I doubt the XTrail will hold it's value as well.

o wow the odyssey actually does better in terms of gas mileage? good to know that ...

good points made ... so i'm guessing CRV it is then?

o wow the odyssey actually does better in terms of gas mileage? good to know that ...

good points made ... so i'm guessing CRV it is then?

Didn't you just sell a CRV Mike?

I know I know....it was an older model but still...the irony is there....

Didn't you just sell a CRV Mike?

I know I know....it was an older model but still...the irony is there....

Yep, and it was the best vehicle I've ever owned. Felt like something different for a change but probably shouldn't have strayed. :)

up until recently i had an 05 Honda Element 4x4.

Ia lso have a wife and two children.

That vehicle was good on fuel, TON'S of room and a good ride for it's size. ( i put 40-50k/year on a vehicle)

I understand the 07 has a little more power in em too.

Take one for a test drive with the kids.. u might be pleasantly surprised.

Splashhopper

I can second that. One of my neighbors owns one & he raves about his.

Otherwise, if the extra cargo space takes precedence, I'm afraid you'll have to take a hit to your mojo and join the rest of us who drive minivans <_<

You couuuld also try out an H3... just kidding ;)

p.-

I can second that. One of my neighbors owns one & he raves about his.

Otherwise, if the extra cargo space takes precedence, I'm afraid you'll have to take a hit to your mojo and join the rest of us who drive minivans <_<

You couuuld also try out an H3... just kidding ;)

p.-

I've looked at them, but just can't get past the rear suicide doors. Very inconvenient.

Also, speaking of MPG - this isn't really an option as far as travelling is concerned - this could be of interest to you. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M88k6Ipp3c

I've been thinking about it seriously for myself, with basically the same choices as you Mike - probably a CRV or maybe one of the Hyundai 4c SUV's and the Zenn for local driving. It would work with our commuting pattern, and having the SUV as our second vehicle would mean that we have our out-of-town commuting/travelling vehicle.

Just have to wait until they become legal...

:whistling:

p.-

Edited by Paulus