Thames Fishing in London

Beats

I went out today to a spot on the Thames in downtown London a few minutes walk from my house. The spot is well known and contains a nice hole there where I have pulled out sm bass, rock bass, white bass and a channel cat so far. Today I was there and saw quite a few rock bass in the rocks but not interested in eating. I had one hit on my spinner that I thought was a pike but turned out to be a gar. This year is the first I have ever seen gar (see previous post) and I am now seeing them everywhere in the Thames. I must have seen 30 or so in the last few weeks. All around 2 feet long with one being close to 4'. I was just dragging my Mepps Comet along the bottom when I hooked into a fish. I reeled it in and thought it was a white bass but the mouth was wrong. I got it out of the water and it freaked out and was trying to flip all over the place. I recognized the fish as what I have seen in pictures as a Mooneye. I know that the fish Goldeye is very similar but this one doesn't appear to have gold in its eye. It was quite flat especially the belly at the back 1/2 of the fish. Never seen one before or heard of them being caught in the Thames. I would guess they originate in Lake St. Clair but I really don't know. After catching the fish I was talking to a guy that I see fishing down there often and he said he had caught one a while back and that someone had tried to tell him that it was a white (silver) bass but he knew that it wasn't. I'm fairly sure its a mooneye, but if I'm wrong it would be nice if someone could properly identify it for me. Later on I moved a dozen yards or so upstream and could see a pair of these fish chasing each other in a mating like way but I couldn't get them to bite again.

All pics are of the same fish. I took a few just to make sure I would be able to identify it.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

Yup, +1 mooneye.

They get up to acoupla pounds and put up a decent scrap, very tasty smoked too.

Dunno about the Thames but there's plenty in the Grand below Caledonia, alot of guys like fly fishing for them this time of year.

I actually have that poster. Got it last weekend but it's still rolled up, haven't looked at it yet.

So :dunno: ............Did you unroll that poster yet? :whistling:

I'm guessing juvenile atlantic salmon. B)

So :dunno: ............Did you unroll that poster yet? :whistling:

I'm guessing juvenile atlantic salmon. B)

I did take a brief look and the Mooneye is listed as being found between Chatham and St. Clair.