birds nest

I'm thinking 'Line Twist"

You said you get birds nests....I'll assume that your using a baitcaster then ?

It matters big time if for spinning reels vs baitcasters and line poundage on how you spool on line.

Edited by brickNblock

Guest Johnny Bass
Why is it that everytime i replace my line on my reel............ for the first while i get steady birds nests????

any tips or tricks on this?

Or am i just the only one?

The 2 most common reasons are 1) You are over spooling your reel. 2) the line has been sitting on the shelf for a while. What you need to do is put the line in a bucket of cold water and let it sit for at least 1/2 hour. This will give the line its life back. Then you can start spooling your reel.

not a bait caster...........

Bought from crappy tire......... just went out and looked...........its spider line 10lb..........sorry thought it was 6lb

Seems like a loop falls of spool...........then gets tangled when casting.......

Sounds like too much line on your spool.

or

One thing I do when casting a spinning reel is I hold the line on the rod with my index finger, and then open the spool.....that way there is a little tension between that spot and the reel. The line shouldn't "loop" off. When I cast, I just take my index finger off the line.

When you put your line on, did you run a pencil through the spool of line?

Thats a no-no for a spinning reel. Put the spool on the floor with the label up, and it won't twist.

Sinker

That's right!... and it sounds like there may be a little too much line on the spool as well. Hold a small straight edge up to your spool when putting line on to check your clearance when you start getting it close to full, you should have about an 1/8th of an inch clearance from the top to the bottom of the spool from the straight edge to the line.

Edited by Greencoachdog

I agree with most here thinking you've overfilled your spool. The hot water works to eliminate memory (phone cord) but does nothing for line twist. Spooling with the label up and the line spool flat on the floor, no pencil. If you have a boat troll your line out behind the boat, as BillM says, or let your line out in a current, river or stream, and reel it back in if you're shorebound. My solution, buy fireline for your spinning reels and give mono the boot.

Edited by jediangler