Gills Are Moving In!!

tip-up

Anthony and I made our way back down to the Ottawa River back bays again in search of pannies and to take advantage of our last day on the ice for a little while. The unusual weather has played with our heads for too long now. The temps today were +6 and there calling for +10 on Friday with rain ::). Ice was a mess today as most of the shoreline made it impossible to get back to the car.

After having a amazing first ice day on the river just a few days before, I had high hopes for today..Bucketmouth was out yesterday with Anthony and marked tons of fish but were only able to land a few..Don't you hate when fish are lock jaw mode >:( We arrived to the hole just as Bucketmouth had lost his Coleman lantern down the hole..Plunk...gone :-\ Wind was howling and the bite was slow according to the amount of fish flopping(or not :)) on the ice...Again, we started to mark fish immediately after getting set up, it was getting them to bite that had us puzzled...After a few rod and lure changes Anthony managed to land the first fish of the day..Nice little bluegill with spectacular patterns on 'em.. :D

IceFishingPetrieJan32007005.jpg

It's amazing the number of fish that stack in this one 20 foot hole..It's rare to see your vex blank for more than a few minutes...we typically are use to seeing more crappie than bluegill here but not today...The gills have moved in and are hungry :) It's going to be a while before venturing deeper into the back bays in search of more deep holes and large crappie :-\

IceFishingPetrieJan32007006.jpg

IceFishingPetrieJan32007012.jpg

IceFishingPetrieJan32007007.jpg

Pannies were on and off for the most part of the day..Attracting them with the spoon then downsizing to small jigs was key. Bait of choice today was one that is made locally. Tipped with a fat waxie, the pannies just inhaled these little buggers...

DSCF0062.jpg

We never really keep count or tally on how many fish we ice, but I tell ya, I have seen way better days down there..As the ice thickness began to loose inches rapidly and water pooling up everywhere(Shoreline especially), we came to the decision that it would be best to leave soon. After a few more fish it was time to pack up and head home...Safety first :tipup:

I am very fortunate to have this great spot a near 5 minutes from my house...Hopefully, winter will show it's face soon so I can get back down there. Next week might be perfect to get a small boat in there and scout out a few holes for the upcoming weeks...You down Bucket ??? ;D...

All the best guys, be careful and safe out there...A few more pictures from today..

IceFishingPetrieJan32007002.jpg

IceFishingPetrieJan32007013.jpg

IceFishingPetrieJan32007014.jpg

IceFishingPetrieJan32007015.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to read..

-Andrew

Is your mouth watering Rich :thumbsup_anim::D

The thought of that sweet meat exploding in my mouth like flavour crystals is just too much to bear! - Trademark, 2007 Rich Crisp Enterprises

Edited by Rich