little GTA brookie report

ehg

Hi folks, didn't go away this weekend but had a little time to try

saturday late afternoon for some brookies near Toronto.

Walked a local trib near headwaters and flicked Panther Martin near log jams or small pools.

I was surprised by the real low water levels and general lack of fish.

Usually i hammer the chubs (lol) there but none.

Caught a few brookies but had to sneak up on pool and dunk the spinner into current

close to cover to get fish. Caught a few brookies but mostly have better days.

A couple of pics to share

The tributary (south of Richmond Hill actually)

river1.jpg

a brookie from that trib

brookie1.jpg

cheers,

ehg

Edited by ehg

Thanks for replies!

The cool thing is that this place is so close to downtown metropolis.

We are truly blessed here in Ontario to have great fishing so close to heavily populated areas.

The brookies are native and most beautiful.

I've fished this spot for 20 yrs. and never saw a soul despite its closeness to Toronto.

That fish was 10-11 inches i guess i didn't measure it however. One was real small, like 5-6 inches.

nice report. How long was that brookie? thanks for posting.

cheers,

ehg

I live in Hamilton and only need to drive 1/2 hour to get to one of my favourite brookie streams. Even with our shrinking wilderness areas, it's nice to know that, not too far from major cities, you can still find these jewels.

I think part of the reason there is still great brook trout fishing in so many local streams is that, other than the opener, they aren't really targetted much. A pretty fish, to be sure, but a tiny one. Fish like bass, walleye and pike that attain bigger size tend usually get more attention from anglers. Which is fine by me!

I live in Hamilton and only need to drive 1/2 hour to get to one of my favourite brookie streams. Even with our shrinking wilderness areas, it's nice to know that, not too far from major cities, you can still find these jewels.

I think part of the reason there is still great brook trout fishing in so many local streams is that, other than the opener, they aren't really targetted much... Which is fine by me!

Brook trout can be found in most headwaters or small tributaries of lakes or rivers in Ontario.

Downtown Toronto could actually be one of the further drives to brookie spots.

Your right they are targeted little.

They scrap not bad on ultralight tackle jumping and twisting around log jams.

Can always tell the difference between brookie fight and the 'wet-toddler sock' fight of a chub.

The odd time you'll catch a 2-3 lb 'resident' brown which is the best as well.

ehg

Great report and pics. Gotta agree with 1leg...Those things are gems.

I have an ultra-lite outfit I've always wanted to use for those little brookies but never got around to pursuing them...Maybe this year will be the year....You've inspired me

i'll echo what the others have said, pretty fish Erik.

further to what you said, with all the urban sprawl, it's really important that these habitat(s) & stream(s) be protected. too many get damned up or dissapear altogether.

Just wanna say thanks for replies.

further to what you said, with all the urban sprawl, it's really important that these habitat(s) & stream(s) be protected. too many get damned up or dissapear altogether.

These little brookies in L. Ontario trib headwaters have an ancestry that would run from the lake.

The sprawl of people started to end that 200 + years ago.

The stocking of Pacific salmon and trout added further stress and competition for space and food

on native brook trout.

ehg