Musky Hunters: Jerkbait rods?

BillM

Hey guys,

Finally got my new muskie setup wet last week while trying for some early season pike. 8' Shimano Compre along with a Abu Garcia Record 60. I tossed a few jerkbaits/topwaters and noticed while standing on the casting deck that the rod is just to long. I like to have the rod vertical underneath me(or as close as possible) when using Suicks and WTD topwaters. With the 8' Compre while trying to WTD properly, I'd constantly have the top section of the rod in the water. Should I look into a smaller length rod for jerkbaits or perhaps make a change to my technique? WTD is second nature, I can make the bait swing 180 degrees with ease, but I just feel more comfortable with the rod closer to me, then sticking out towards the bait as I retrieve.

Perhaps a few of the muskie guys can chime in? (Marc, lew, Roy?)

You already answered the question your self bro. You need a shorter rod to be comfy, that 8'er makes a good troller or pier rod.

A great excuse for a new rod, eh?

Edited by danbo

I just recently scored a 6'9 Premier and I'm 6'3ish and can't imagine using a longer jerkbait rod. I'm sure it can be done though, just might take some time to get use to it ....You might be able to take it back to the store providing you are exchanging it for another rod. I remember last time I was in Lebarrons really liking a short Compre musky stick. Well....Good luck.

Edited by Weeds

Bill I used to feel the same way you do about the rod position with a shorter rod, but I picked up a 7'6" Compre last year and I love it. Now I find that I move the rod less to move the bait the same distance, which is alot easier on the body. Also with the longer rod the extra length leaves the rod in a better position for a hookset at the end of a pull. I run a high speed reel for my jerkbait rod so I can pick up the slack line faster between pulls. I run my WTD topwaters on one of my bucktail rods which is 7'3" with a softer tip than the jerkbait rods.Give it sometime before you give up on the longer rod you might just find that after you use it for awhile you might like it. Rob

Not sure how much this helps but... When I fish top waters from my canoe, holding the rod tip down to walk the dog is not an option, so I hold the tip up. I realize topwater bassin' from a canoe is not the same as musky huntin' but what the heck it's easier then growing two feet or standing on a casting platform on stilts.

Bill, my personal preferrence for jerking ot WTD is a 6' 6" Premier with an Abu Big Game HS

The short rod keeps the tip outta the water and the Big Game brings in the slack line very fast.

Bill, I haven't got the reel here at the house, but if I remember correctly I think it's 5.3-1.

It's a 7000 series reel and has got a large capacity spool and that really increases the pick-up speed on the retrieve.

Maybe have a look at one when you get to JB's, I think you'll like it for jerkbaits. It'll probably feel a bit large initially, but it takes no time to get used to it and I can cast with mine for hours at a time without getting tired.

okay Bill, as you know I am fairly new to the Musky Game as well a few years under my belt thats it. I use a 7' Premier (I am 6'3) and i have no problems, it touches the water sometimes but not always. For my crankbaits i have a 7'6 and bucktails i use an 8'

soon to have a 7'2 and a 6'8 for jerkbaits and another 7'6 for light bucktails/top waters.

if we can get out this summer try you can try any of them to see how you like them.

I just picked up some Powerpro down in Mich. yesterday. $12 for 150 yrds of 100# and $11 for 150 yrds of 80#. 10" believer $5. yes $5.

sorry i am off topic now.

Mike

Mike, I hate you :)

I need to pick up some jointed Believers.. I am going to drop by JB's this week sometime and look for something a little shorter for a jerkbait/topwater rod. It's a good excuse to pick up another setup... I love the 8' for everything but jerks/topwater. For bucktails/cranks/swimbaits it makes tossing those big bait effortless.