Muskie Opener....too early for topwater?

bigcreekdad

I'll be throwing Magnum Zara Spooks and some TopRaiders for the early opener on the French :)

I'm a complete muskie newb, but from what I've read in books and online, early in the season is the time to be throwing topwater.

As is mentioned above, topwaters get a strike most of the season(except when real cold).

The problem is the low hooking % with musky on topwaters. I('ll go shallow with bucktails to hook them.

ehg

You can go with topwaters no problem, got one last year on opener on a super topraider.

From what I hear the water is still a lilttle cold, muskies will still hit it.

Being cold water, then they may be still shallow and close to their spawning areas makinga topwater a great choice to throw.

Only time I ever raised a musky with a topwater bait (that wasn't under 30 inches" was on opening day 2 years ago. And man was it ever big. I'll be doing a lot more of that this opener! God I can't wait. Cats and carp are great, but musky are where it's at!

I generally stick to smaller crankbaits and bucktails at beginning of season. I typically don't start topwater till mid season. Going to fish opening week on French River this year. Has anyone had any cnsistent success using topwaters early on?

Where are you going to fish ?