Goldenrod Gall Grubs

Last day of holidays today for me. Went to a local Conservation area to walk around and get some fresh air. I noticed a ton of Goldenrod along one of the trails. I remembered a thread I read on a board somewhere..maybe this one...about using the larvae inside for tipping baits with. Took out the trusty pocket knive on the keychain and sliced a gall open. The larvae inside was about the same length as the maggots you buy around Lake Simcoe all winter that I tip jigging raps with for perch...but it was at least twice as fat. Almost round it was so chubby. So I figured I'm out nothing and in less then 10 minutes I filled the 2 big pockets of my Tough Duck jacket up with 150 galls.

Brought them home and they are now in a bucket out in the garage.

I use maggots alot, but they are hard to come by sometimes, particularily early ice when tackle shops have not started stocking them yet. Also at last ice when tackle shops stop getting them in. I hope they work, because if they do I have a free unlimited supply.

Anyone out there given them a try? I'd like to have some input from others who have tried them.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Thank you for correcting me yellowboat. I changed the "marigold" reference in my message to Goldenrod but could not edit it in the title.

....I have no doubt they would work and are available real cheap for those who like to hike about. :)

Oh and title changed for you CPH. ;)

Geeze...now I'm cornfused...I googled wasps last fall as there was a nest in the crawlspace under the house that I wanted to remove...It said that all but the queens die off (hibernate) each winter so I waited a long time for cold enough weather to do its thing and sure enough...no wasps to be found...I cant believe they ate through the nylon screen to get under there...will use wire screening for replacement...

If what Yellowboat sez is right...what you have is all queens so don't let them get too warm or you will end up with your own private aviary(sp?)... :w00t::unsure::w00t:

Where did the spell-check go ???

Edited by Beans