Fishing Licenses

loner55

Last Friday afternoon while I was doing my rounds I stopped at a major outdoors store to browse the shelves and possibly pick up a new reel, it's almost Fathers Day after all. While I was there three young guys (early - mid 20's) came in and started asking the sales rep some questions about fishing equipment. It was obvious that they didn't have a clue what they were doing and the rep was doing a good job helping them out. They must have just watched a fishing show on TV because they were raring to go right then and there. The rep got them each a decent rod/reel combo, he even offered to spool some line on the reels for them, and then when he was going to recommend some lures/hooks etc. he asked them what they were planning on fishing for. The response from all three was BASS... BASS... it's May 09. I was waiting to here the rep inform them that Bass was out of season right now and to suggest something else, but no... the rep walked around the aisle and placed 6-7 "sure fire" bass lures in the basket and then told them how to use worms and minnows and placed some weights and hooks in the basket as well.

I looked over the display at them in a normal, non-offensive tone informed them that Bass were not in season and that they would need to purchase a fishing license at the front of the store before the could fish for anything. The response was typical for the area... "We don't need no stinkin license"... I'm not kidding, that was the response from one of the guys. Now this is where I expected the rep in his green shirt to back me up and to try and educate some obviously fresh, potential anglers...nope. He just gave me a blank look and led them away.

Now, my dad taught me everything I know about fishing. I release all the fish I catch. Fishing to me is a sport, something I enjoy doing and something I am teaching my kids to enjoy the same as me. I don't have a problem with people catching and keeping what they are legally entitled to, as long as it doesn't go in the freezer to be found two years later and thrown out. I have never sat on the pier or waded into a river and questioned whether the people around me had a license or not I just assumed that their father taught them the way mine taught me. How wrong I was.

I guess what I'm getting at is, shouldn't it be mandatory to have a license to purchase fishing equipment? Or how about live bait? You can't just walk in and buy guns and ammo...., you have to show I.D. to buy booze and smokes. So how hard would it be for them to check to make sure you have an outdoors card before you make a purchase. If you're buying a gift... get a gift card.

It just amazed me that the employee would not try to educate them even after I gave him the chance. I've had both good and bad experiences at this store so I'm not going to name it, but I'm sure most of you can figure it out.

Not sure about the license thing and buying equipment, but you raise some good points there. I'd expect the "gift" part of purchases would hurt sales....ie....people buying gifts for anglers and they themselves don't fish or have a license. I see some merit in live bait though.

You did your part in explaining to them about the regs and licenses....the store employee should have as well!!

For the first part of your story.... good on ya for trying to inform them :clapping: :clapping:

I guess what I'm getting at is, shouldn't it be mandatory to have a license to purchase fishing equipment? Or how about live bait? You can't just walk in and buy guns and ammo...., you have to show I.D. to buy booze and smokes. So how hard would it be for them to check to make sure you have an outdoors card before you make a purchase. If you're buying a gift... get a gift card.

Nope

1) Under 18 or Over 64 you don't need a licence in Ontario.

2) I don't want my family to not be able to get me fishing gear as gifts because they don't have a licence. I don't buy the whole gift card thing. My nephew loves nothing more then picking me out shinny lures with his Aunt and then giving them to me as a gift. Gift cards just don't have the same wow factor.

Just my opinion

Edited by mdej

For the first part of your story.... good on ya for trying to inform them :clapping: :clapping:

Nope

1) Under 18 or Over 64 you don't need a licence in Ontario.

2) I don't want my family to not be able to get me fishing gear as gifts because they don't have a licence. I don't buy the whole gift card thing. My nephew loves nothing more then picking me out shinny lures with his Aunt and then giving them to me as a gift. Gift cards just don't have the same wow factor.

Just my opinion

3) Ontario Family Fishing Weekend.

4) If u go fish in private fish farm or something?

When fishing licences first staRTED I ANYWAYS FIGURED Im not a co so what do I care , some guys are going to pay me 600 dollars for 6 hours fishing , I would be stupid to say sorry you cant go no licence , I would tell people on the phone a licence is needed for everyone over 18 , BUT NEVER CHECKED . One spring off the bar a boat was following me as I set up just got the 6 th line down fish on , The boat following came over watched as we landed the double and than showed his badge , asked for the licences of the two guys who had just landed fish , one guy showed a licence other didnt !!!! Now he comes aboard and wants the rod, reel, lures used to catch the fish and the down rigger (Fu** im out 250 for the rod 450 for reel 900 for rigger !!!!!!! ) LUCKY the co was a great guy after I had allmost fainted he asked if he had made his point , I assured him he had , He fined the guy who landed the fish with no licence and told me I could only fish 5 rods as the other 5 guys had licences and that if he found me takeing guys out with no licences again he would take every thing . Stopped me every time he saw me all that spring , I bought 12 licences the next day and made sure everyone had one in his wallet every trip (not sure if thats legal ) but I never had problems after that , when he would pull along side everyone on board would hold up a valid licence and off he went . My ice huts the same thing , the co from port perry allways joked about the amount of money they make from my huts in fines lol. Even after telling EVeryone that he would stop by allmost every day and be checking and you needed a licenece , eeven had to supply him with adresses for one party that rented huts for the night but left early and when he came by in the morning they had left baited lines in the water , he called ,I gave him their credit card info phone numbers the whole works they all got fined large . I now check for licences and sorry no licence no fishing for you. BUT I STILL WONDER why WHY WHY WHY DO I have to inforce the law (other than the loss of my equipment ) AT first I thought that licences were a good thing , the money would ALL GO BACK into the fishery and the people would get EDUCATED on the rules (we see how much educateing they do ,and money for the fishery duhhh) NOT NOT and MORE NOT . now they want me to inforce this TAX ,YES GUYS CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT ITS A FISH TAX nothing more just good old BIG BROTHER with his hand in my pocket once again AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

My father also taught me everything I need to know about fishing and a lot of other things. Respect nature and man. Limit your catch, don't catch your limit. Enjoy as many meals from nature's bounty as you have need or the legal right to share.

I live by these rules and have been fishing the same small lake for 20 years now. The harvest of eating size fish is better and the availability of trophy sized fish is greater than ever. Fishing is not a sport for me. It is a part of a philosophy of co-existing with nature, a lifestyle choice.

I hate to be the fly in the ointment but I remember when Ontario residents were NOT required to have a fishing license, only non residents like myself. You know what....................... fishing was better back then.

What I am trying to say just because you have to purchase fishing licensees doesn't guarantee better fishing now or in the future. When you have been around a long time you realize that more government means LESS on anything it touches.

Think about it............ You are a resident of Ontario or where ever and you have to purchase a license to just fish, being to feed yourself or catch and release. Meanwhile others are running a muck costing you even more money. I would think the people of the providence of Ontario would be happy just not to have to spend more money on you or your family.

Just my 2 cents worth :mellow:

That's right, all fishing licences are is another tax that we have to pay. Like gas taxes which were put in place to build and maintain roads, the money goes into the general revenue account and gets spent by our elected officials and civil servants on everything BUT!!

I feel we need probably 4-5 times as many COs as we have now. With all the money made by the fishing tax, there should be more than enough as well as dough left over for aggressive stocking programs. Our problem is that we don't bi---tch and moan enough to our elected representatives constantly and not put up with their constant Bull explanations. Bottom line is the MNR brings in more money but has had it's budget slashed over 50% over the past 15 years or so.

Im not sure about that Bily bob...

I wouldnt mind seeing the lic fee go up if they were to promise more CO's around.

I think it would be in much worse shape without the fee's.

Fishin was always better back in the ol' days....atleast thats what every angler over 50 tells me.

Maybe its just an excuse as to why they arent catchin anything (har' har')

Fishin was always better back in the ol' days....atleast thats what every angler over 50 tells me.

Maybe its just an excuse as to why they arent catchin anything (har' har')

LOL

Ask Roy,he,s out of pickeral now.

That's right, all fishing licences are is another tax that we have to pay. Like gas taxes which were put in place to build and maintain roads, the money goes into the general revenue account and gets spent by our elected officials and civil servants on everything BUT!!

I feel we need probably 4-5 times as many COs as we have now. With all the money made by the fishing tax, there should be more than enough as well as dough left over for aggressive stocking programs. Our problem is that we don't bi---tch and moan enough to our elected representatives constantly and not put up with their constant Bull explanations. Bottom line is the MNR brings in more money but has had it's budget slashed over 50% over the past 15 years or so.

I agree the licenses are a tax, but these are public goods and not private enterprises. In private enterprises, the ministries that made the most profits would enjoy the most benefit. But having public goods, the general revenue accounts must be used to the greatest social good. This is why the revenue proportions of different ministries will never be proportional to their budgets. Some are necessary yet do not bring in their share of the revenue.

I think an important concept is the opportunity cost of these funds. What is the social benefit that we lose from the next best program if we instead decide to hire more CO's or stock more fish? Do we lose much needed social services, police officers, or prosecutors?

It's hard to justify spending more on us fishermen because we're really a disproportionately small part of the population. For example, far more people play soccer in Canada, so wouldn't it benefit the population more to take the revenue from fishing licenses and invest in soccer stadiums? Some people define social good as increasing the welfare of those that are the worst off, as opposed to maximizing the sum of everyone, and this definition would exclude most of us as well. The economics of public finance can be hard to swallow, but I think the bottom line is everything must be prioritized, and sometimes the vocal few (i.e. fishermen) have to be trumped by the greater good.