Belwood Lake Pike Derby

nancur373

I believe the Bellwood Pike Derby is the following weekend.

We're having a Toonie Tournament there this Sunday though if you're interested.

Pike Derby info:

May 24-25, 2008

Belwood Lions Club Pike Derby

Belwood Lake Conservation Area

Join in the family fun at Belwood Lake Conservation Area for this pike derby that has been going on for over 20 years! This is a live release derby for the whole family and includes a youth category for those under 15 years. First prize in the adult category is $1,500 cash, second prize takes a fishing charter, and third prize a rod, reel, life-jacket and tackle box.

Cost is $25 for adults, $5 for youth 15 years and under, and $50 for a family (includes parents and children under 15 years of age). There is a small fee for boat launching payable to the conservation authority. Please contact Gerry Ellen at (519) 843-2990 for more information.

Use to love going to it. Five years running our boat took one of the top three prizes. Don't remember it costing that much or having to pay for launching though. That was one lake where either you were on them and knew what you were doing or got skunked. Best bait was 6-8" sucker minnows under a bobber and patience.

• 1 year later...
Don't be surprised if the derby gets CANCELLED sometime late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

http://news.therecord.com/News/BreakingNews/article/540976

If they don't find this poor fellow today, I'd be very surprised if they let a few hundred fishermen drag hooks through there tomorrow.

According to the article... the man was found ? :dunno:

They've updated the article now and yes his body has been found. I'm sure the tourney will go on now as planned. If you are going in the tourney, take a lesson here and wear your PFD at all times on the water.

Those who talk about the state of the Belwood pike fishery being bad are right, it sucks. But where else will catching a 24" pike get you $1500. If you catch even a little one, take it in, it might be the biggest one caught.

Ill Be there forsure !!! How much is camping ???

I have camped on the north side of the lake between Belwood and Fergus, they even have a boat ramp for campers ( http://www.highlandpines.com/ ) there are pike in the area just fish the willows around shore or the islands, best of luck to all and tight lines wish I was there, working nights

Richard