Take a test to get a fishing license?

drunksmurf

Someone in that "musky" thread raised a perfect question. Why not make it mandatory to take a simple test or fill out a questionnaire that you'd have to read and sign before purchasing your license? After spending last week working on a job on the Rideau canal system, I witnessed no less than a dozen infractions happening in broad daylight from multiple set lines per person to bucketing OOS fish, to letting fish SPOIL! Something should be done in regards to educating the average joe (and some seasoned idiots) and it has nothing to do with race, colour or creed. We should stop yammering on about it and having threads locked due to stupid remarks, and bring it to the attention of the proper people.

I don't post much but after reading the closed musky thread from last night I had to add one glaring omission in the thread. Throwing a 4" Red Devil into a body of water (Ottawa) which currently has no open season on any sport fish besides crappie is a crime! No IFs, ANDs, or BUTs... this is a classic example of a person not properly educated in simple fishing regulations. Pike and walleye only open this coming weekend, not yesterday like the rest of Div 18.

DS

... but could you imagine the whizzin' and moanin' that would go on on this board if the did that???... We had enough people cryin' in their Gerbers aboot the boating license, screaming aboot cash grabs and wanting the Government to give them boating LESSONS!!!

You could bring all the Great Lakes up to full pool with the tears this would cause!!! :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think you need to teach someone on how to read the regs. The lad who caught the musky must have had an inclination that what he was doing wasn't totally legit. I'm sure he's learned his lesson though. Live and learn. That idea would never fly. Imagine.. having to take a course to obtain a fishing license. Taking such a course would only be mandatory if casting a fishing rod would become a safety issue, like having to take an gun course to get your FAC.

On another note, do you notice how fisherfolk commiting those infractions are a just a bit...... dim?? I don't think herding these people in a class to teach them how to read signs would make much difference.

I here P3TA knocking.. The hairs on my arms are standing on end.

yikes!

HD

People have to take a mandatory test for DRIVERS LICENCE. You hold your G1 for a year before you get your G2 & ARE ABLE TO DRIVE UNACOMPANIED.

Has that stoped the idiots out there on our roads? Nope.

You are allways going to get those who are ignorant to the law test or no test.

Perhaps it wouldn't work in the end but should these actions just continue on unaddressed? Just thought I'd bring this up in anticipation of what others thought can be done to rectify this unfortunate situation... there's more than one way to skin a cat, what actions do you think should be taken in terms of education?

DS

Edited by drunksmurf

If you had to take a test, then bly and I may not be fishing today. We had both stopped fishing since we were kids, and when we saw our little with rods and reels in their hands one day, I went and got two licenses for us while they were still fishing. I got lost in the moment and acted impulsively.

That being said, most honest people will learn their lesson fairly early and then be better at following the regs...sure they may do a bonehead thing or two, but in the long run they wont be the ones destroying the fishery. I'd suspect that many of the people who abuse the fishery do so because that's just the way they are. They are well aware of the regs and just ignore them.

If you had to take a test, then bly and I may not be fishing today. We had both stopped fishing since we were kids, and when we saw our little with rods and reels in their hands one day, I went and got two licenses for us while they were still fishing. I got lost in the moment and acted impulsively.

That being said, most honest people will learn their lesson fairly early and then be better at following the regs...sure they may do a bonehead thing or two, but in the long run they wont be the ones destroying the fishery. I'd suspect that many of the people who abuse the fishery do so because that's just the way they are. They are well aware of the regs and just ignore them.

Just the same way they are aware of the speed limits , no parking signs, no stopping signs and other violations that many consider minor, that arent enforced, and therefore lead to a general lawlessness and ignorance of others concerns and safeties that I find prevalent in todays society.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/s...ight=fishingful

take a look at this thread in my "home forum"

this is from an ohio lake where ther are no muskie, pike are not stocked, flathead, haven't been stocked in 15 yrs, and you can catch big crappie (no limit, size or bag) and "dink" walleye (no size 6 bag) til your ultralight wears out. Those are TROPHY fish in ohio, I've certainly never caught a pike that big down here (don't really target them), and you can bet your a** if those were musky that guy would have his tires slashed. Second worst thing is he made posts like that a couple days in a row (4.6.08-4.10.08) probably until his bay was barren of fish, but the WORST thing is ODNR HAS NO REGS ON PIKE WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to start a flame war here, heck, maybe my perspective is the%&*%%(% one, but my point is you'll never get rid of the idiots, but at least up here the government is on the sportsman side and is trying (maybe too hard! lol!)

PS would like to get some other peoples reaction to that link

Hi, in my opinion there is only one way to stop people from fishing outside of the regulations........ENFORCEMENT. :wallbash:

The people in this country have to learn that the way our country is currently run has to change. Right now the typical Canadian knee-jerk way is to regulate, regulate, regulate and then pay thru the nose to have all these regulations studied, re-studied, enacted into law and then hire more pencil-pushers to administer the ungodly amount of taxpayers money being thrown at the whole thing. Meanwhile, funds to enforce those very regulations are now eaten up by a top heavy department. It's not only in fishing, look at our hospitals.....out here in Winchester they are doing a multi-million dollar expansion to the hospital........but because there is a critical shortage of doctors in Ontario, how can they take on more patients???? Or the new Ontario building code.....a whole lot of hooey that supposedly protects the homeowner......except from the ridiculous additional fees they now have to pay. But hey, if they actually did things right, they wouldn't wouldn't be able to justify the astronomically high taxes we pay....right???

Education....yeah we need it, but for our children, not the oafs that already know they are breaking the law. The way some people like to "educate" others on the water is eventually gonna get someone hurt.

Sorry for the early morning rant but......more regs are NOT the answer, and trying to educate idiots is NOT the answer.....the only answer is ENFORCE the darn laws we have now.

Hey, I ain't changing my opinion on that one. :thumbsup_anim:

I agree, I know many people who have went for their boaters operator card and didn't even read the book. I read it over 5 times, this way i knew what was what and the proper setup and safety on my boat. The same should apply with fishing, hunters need a licence for a gun not sure if there is a cource for the guns but we use a rod and a lure. Being educated on the different rules and rugulations of fishing would do nothing but benefit.

The more government gets involved the worst things get.

If you Really want to accomplish something make people take a test before they get married and definitely a class and pass a test before they can have children. Then you MIGHT make a difference :)

I have to agree on this one. Since the funds for more enforcement aren't there I think that a mandatory test should be written. It won't get rid of all the idiots but it will help with the younger guys. It could also get the MNR some more $$$

Hi, in my opinion there is only one way to stop people from fishing outside of the regulations........ENFORCEMENT. :wallbash:

The people in this country have to learn that the way our country is currently run has to change. Right now the typical Canadian knee-jerk way is to regulate, regulate, regulate and then pay thru the nose to have all these regulations studied, re-studied, enacted into law and then hire more pencil-pushers to administer the ungodly amount of taxpayers money being thrown at the whole thing. Meanwhile, funds to enforce those very regulations are now eaten up by a top heavy department. It's not only in fishing, look at our hospitals.....out here in Winchester they are doing a multi-million dollar expansion to the hospital........but because there is a critical shortage of doctors in Ontario, how can they take on more patients???? Or the new Ontario building code.....a whole lot of hooey that supposedly protects the homeowner......except from the ridiculous additional fees they now have to pay. But hey, if they actually did things right, they wouldn't wouldn't be able to justify the astronomically high taxes we pay....right???

Education....yeah we need it, but for our children, not the oafs that already know they are breaking the law. The way some people like to "educate" others on the water is eventually gonna get someone hurt.

Sorry for the early morning rant but......more regs are NOT the answer, and trying to educate idiots is NOT the answer.....the only answer is ENFORCE the darn laws we have now.

Hey, I ain't changing my opinion on that one. :thumbsup_anim:

I agree that enforcement needs to come to the fore, there are a certain breed out there that will will never abide by the rules heck they won`t even buy a license.

The MNR needs to take a serious look at enforcement aswell we could teach our kids about the regs and the do`s and dont`s.

I know up in my area we get a lot of kids fishing in the canals and numerous times I have seen kids catching Bass out of season is this a criminal issue I don`t think so, it`s an education issue no one has probably ever told these kids they are doing anything wrong.

Enforcement is the biggest issue. I get pulled over by OPP with a CO on board all the time in the Severn Area. They are so concerned with having the "RIGHT TYPE" of flares on board and that the horn works and a safety kit on board yet they never ask for our fishing license even if they pull us over while trolling. Even when you offer it, they dont care, they say "dont worry about it" but if you dont have 6 flares and only 5 they will ticket you and the CO is along for the ride.

I dont even know the point of my response other then i agree MNR needs to put more pressure on anglers and enforce the rules they set out. Not the OPP making sure we dont break down 30 feet from cottage filled shorelines and shoot a flare gun in the air so 180 cottages can see we broke down, or maybe push the horn just in case a cottager cant hear us from 30 feet away, or better yet make sure safety kit is there with rope included so we can toss it to shore and pull ourselves in.

Sorry this makes no sense....i know i am just perturbed