Scugog River

Sinker

Hey,

I was thinking about trying the scugog river on the opener this year. After checking the regs for the boundary from the trent severn dam.......I don't know where the fenelon/ops boundary is?

Here's the quote from the regs......

Scugog River (Lindsay) - Ops Twp., from Trent-Severn Dam to Ops-Fenelon boundary.

Anyone know whereabouts this line is? It sure would be nice if they showed it on the map for area 17.......but I guess that's too much to ask for from the Ministry of No Results!! I know there will prolly be a platoon of boats right on the line, but I would like to see this line on a map, so I know FOR SURE!! North or south of the old train tressles?

Any help is appreciated!

Sinker

Guest skeeter99

I beleive there is a sign on shore stating the boundary with the dates on it also (the last time I was there)

they should be stackd up close to the dam and further downstream

right now the nonquon river on scugog is just loaded with them, go at night with the flashlight and nothing but eyes LOL!!! most I have seen in quite a few years

Sinker, I just had a good look at my charts and can't find anything that clearly shows the deviding line. I have always believed it was the old railway tressles but I wouldn't want to bet money on it.

I also tried to do a search for township maps but other than a referance to some map in a drawer at the library I couldn't find anything that clearly showed any boundries and an extensive search of MNR files wasn't any more productive. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Edited by Big Cliff

Sinker, I just had a good look at my charts and can't find anything that clearly shows the deviding line. I have always believed it was the old railway tressles but I wouldn't want to bet money on it.

I also tried to do a search for township maps but other than a referance to some map in a drawer at the library I couldn't find anything that clearly showed any boundries and an extensive search of MNR files wasn't any more productive. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

I think its the rail line as well Cliff......but I wouldn't bet on it either :wallbash:

We took a run up the river on monday, passed the rail line, and didn't see any signs. I have been looking on maps I have here, and online as well, and there is nothing to show a boundary line. I've e-mailed the MNR, but chances are I won't get a reply in time for opener.......prolly won't get one by next years opener knowing those guys!! :wallbash:

I'll make the call and let you know what I find out. Hopefully someone who knows will answer the phone, but I'm having my doubts!

Best bet is to talk to the locals I'd say, but I'd like to be there set up for dinner friday night. We're going in the big boat, and staying at anchor for the night :thumbsup_anim:

Sinker

Must have been an oversight by the MNR...referring to a boundary that doesn't really exist anymore since Victoria County amalgamated into the City of Kawartha Lakes.

Must have been an oversight by the MNR...referring to a boundary that doesn't really exist anymore since Victoria County amalgamated into the City of Kawartha Lakes.

Thats the problem. There are no recent maps that show that boundary with any detail. I have found old maps that show it, but there is no detail whasoever on them.

I'll let ya's know what I find out, as soon as I get an answer.

Sinker

Well, I just got off the phone with the MNR.

It took them a long time to find me an answer, but here it is....

"The OPS/Fenelon boundary is in a line with Pickeral Point road, across the water to Ken Reid rd."

This seems to be a long way from the dam if you ask me, but I guess a boundary is a boundary. Kinda throws a spin on where I wanted to set up for the night fish, but what can ya do.

I asked to talk to the local CO, but I was't allowed......haha.......he must be really busy :wallbash::rolleyes:

I can't understand why its so far from the dam. The other sanctuaries are less than a KM from the boundaries. I know at the other end of the lake, where the river flows into fenelon falls, its less than a km from the dam. On pigeon river in omemee, its even less again.

What gives?

I'd love to talk to the local CO........

Sinker

I beleive there is a sign on shore stating the boundary with the dates on it also (the last time I was there)

they should be stackd up close to the dam and further downstream

right now the nonquon river on scugog is just loaded with them, go at night with the flashlight and nothing but eyes LOL!!! most I have seen in quite a few years

That is good news!

• 3 years later...

I dredged this old thread up kind of by accident. I'm new to Sturgeon lake and I have been doing my homework to make sure I know what the regs are in my area. I especially wanted to understand any tricky bits that could trip me up.

So, going through Zone 17's exceptions, I came across the fact that the Scugog R. is a fish sanctuary, completely closed to all fishing from Nov 16 thru to the 3rd weekend in May (First Friday after the 2nd Saturday).

The MNR describes this sanctuary as, "Scugog River (Lindsay) - Ops Twp., from Trent-Severn Dam to Ops-Fenelon boundary." I was pretty sure I knew what that Ops-Fenelon boundary was, since I live close to it. But I googled it anyway, to double-check if I was right or not, and among the hits that came up was this old thread. Cool.

As I read the thread, I noted that the boundary wasn't well described and was not well understood, so I thought I would try clear things up and maybe keep somebody out of trouble....

- Skeeter99 said there is a sign posted. I'm sure he saw one, but now, 4 years later, I haven't see one. One of them would have to be on my property, and I probably wouldn't miss something like that.

- Sinker followed through with MNR and he got the boundary right. It extends from Pickerel Point Rd on the East side of the lake, across to Kenrei Rd. on the

West side. Note that Kenrei is the correct name of that road. It is not a typo. There is a mix of names over there; Ken Reid/Kenrei stuff - can be confusing.

- I've talked to a few guys around here who were told over the years that the old railway bridge is the downstream boundary (44.37770, -78.74541). This is

very easy to believe, since so many of Ontario's defined tributary limits are the railroads, especially on the North shore of Lake Ontario. But in this case,

it's not true. If you're at the old bridge, you're almost 3km inside the sanctuary!

- If you're looking for a marker on the water, the boundary is approximately at the red buoy CP42. The green CP41 is inside the sanctuary.

- Sinker noted that this sanctuary seemed longer than most. He's right. It extends a full 3.1NM (5.75km) from the dam in town downstream to its Northern

boundary.

- In practical terms, it means there is no icefishing whatsoever from the South end of Goose Bay all the way back into town.